Wednesday, May 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 pm
Was Liz ever in the black!? Yikes.
No, Liz tried to match James on the bottom and didn't know the material. Didn't you hear me screaming "Panacea" during the DD?
state split in 1863, easy peasy. Wonder if it's possible to get just from the "1832 narrowly rejected a vote on abolition" bit.
Every time Cinco de Mayo comes up as a response, I always want to say "What is my birthday?" :lol:

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 pm
gnash wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:12 am
Liz found DD2 with her opening selection of the DJ! round, not that it did her any good. That kind of Greek mythology word origin stuff is often no gimme, so I wonder if James would have known that one?
I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't know the word from Greek for cure-all.
I initially thought "elixir", then realized it was "panacea" a couple seconds later.
that is what i came up with

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:29 pm
Vowels threw me. I overthought "aisle" and was thinking maybe it was a something-way. Ended up 0/5 in the category, which is rare for me in a word category. Always have to give pause when I skunk a word category.

However, going 0/5 on Mary Poppins was not surprising to me. "Emily Blunt" is an utterly unfamiliar name to me.

Ran the Musical State category, however. And surprisingly, also the Mythology category.

State that split in 1863 over abolition? Gotta be Virginia.

Lach Trash: Western Swing. Also got the "panacea" DD.
how do you miss julie andrews? i agree with you on that emily blunt clue...never heard of her...andrews more known that she is...she should have been the top box

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

I took the victory lap on dead sea scrolls. Like Alex says, you have to feel good about yourself.

Liz's worst Jeopardy! nightmare came true, but she still managed to keep a sense of humor about it. Good for her!

Never heard of the Sherman brothers.

Need to brush up on my 4-letter European rivers.

Chimera, chaos - not tonight

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 pm

how do you miss julie andrews? i agree with you on that emily blunt clue...never heard of her...andrews more known that she is...she should have been the top box
The stuff about Audrey Hepburn threw me miles off course, and i just couldn't backtrack in time.

And somehow I got kites and umbrellas mixed up, which caused me to clam on umbrella since I was like "that can't be right, they had a category about those, they wouldn't also have a category as a correct response". No idea what made my brain short-circuit there.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Liz was really channeling Weird Al there. "Texas Honky-Tonk" is the official state music? Does she even know what a honky tonk is? Jesus was crucified on Ash Wednesday? That was some expensive and unrecoverable guessing.

The middle contestant proved my point by losing $2,000 on the Texas state music clue. If the category had been played straight down, she would have known that the answer couldn't be Bluegrass because it was in the $200 clue.

For a second there it looked like James wasn't going to come up with dd2, and if he had blown that size bet, it would have opened the door for him to lose. Probably not with Liz in the mix though.

morbeedo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm

There were actually two sets of Sherman Brothers. Richard and Robert Sherman did Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the animated Charlotte's Web, It's a Small World, you're sixteen, and many other songs. Their father and Uncle were also songwriters.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm
The first game with James was Thursday, April 4th. The Teachers Tournament taped a few days prior to his airing debut. Jackie Fuchs had a Twitter post on Sunday, April 7th that she (and others champs) were at the last taping for Season 35.

If there were J! tapings on April 4th or 5th it's nothing I recall seeing previously. It seems like I read somewhere there was a taping on April 6th and I do not know if that was the same one Jackie was using for her Twitter post. Perhaps it was both that Saturday and Sunday to get 10 games done?

Whatever it is those players that concluded S35 would have (or should have seen) the first two games with James. Whether James was still the champ or not at the season-ending taping? I do not know.

To answer your question I think it would not be until July 15th that the players would have taped after a game with James had aired.

Others with more information can step in with better intel while not spoiling the big question.
April 6 was the last taping of the season. So, July 22nd.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I couldn't come up with "Panacea". In my defense, a tornado went by 2 miles away and we might have been slightly distracted. I'll have to rethink my strategy of waiting for the hail before looking out the window and/or heading to the dungeon :).

Liz saved the show about $20-$30K by denying James the DD. I was hoping she'd stick to the true daily double and bet negative 800 (?).

I didn't notice James interrupting tonight, but it seems like Alex is the one who's adjusted his cadence. The guy is a geography maven. Rivers, mountains, cities by name and all of it by location...

I got FJ, not from knowing about the reason for the secession/split, but from seeing some clickbaity nonsense about how it isn't technically official and we only have 49 states. It's kind of hard to believe today that West Virginia was the more progressive state of the two :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 pm
I couldn't come up with "Panacea". In my defense, a tornado went by 2 miles away and we might have been slightly distracted. I'll have to rethink my strategy of waiting for the hail before looking out the window and/or heading to the dungeon :).

Liz saved the show about $20-$30K by denying James the DD. I was hoping she'd stick to the true daily double and bet negative 800 (?).

I didn't notice James interrupting tonight, but it seems like Alex is the one who's adjusted his cadence. The guy is a geography maven. Rivers, mountains, cities by name and all of it by location...

I got FJ, not from knowing about the reason for the secession/split, but from seeing some clickbaity nonsense about how it isn't technically official and we only have 49 states. It's kind of hard to believe today that West Virginia was the more progressive state of the two :).

they kind of still are...they legalized online poker and also sports betting...virginia has yet to do either

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

morbeedo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm
You should see the movie also referred to in the Mary Poppins category, "Saving Mr. Banks," in which they appear as characters.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 pm
Was Liz ever in the black!? Yikes.
I know all kinds of things happen "under the lights," and even well qualified contestants don't look very strong. Liz went deep in the hole early on by what seemed to be just plain bad guessing. I figured she likely had no chance long before she conflated Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. That was sad.

PeteMoss
Valued Contributor

Post by PeteMoss »

floridagator wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 pm
Liz was really channeling Weird Al there. "Texas Honky-Tonk" is the official state music? Does she even know what a honky tonk is? Jesus was crucified on Ash Wednesday? That was some expensive and unrecoverable guessing. I thought the reason the contestant test was so tough was to weed out people like that.
Once a week I wonder the same thing.

If Jeopardy is short a contestant, do they sometimes pull people out of the audience?

Do they dial up a local on the spot and ask him/her to come in allowing them no time to prep?

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

floridagator wrote:
(EDIT: The original comment has been redacted, so I removed the quote)
Anyone can slip and give a stupid response under pressure on the J! stage. I had a clue that said "Henry Ford called minority stockholders in his corporation these, like the ones that cause dysentery & malaria" and I responded "What are mosquitoes?"

It takes a more select group to make gratuitously mean comments on the internet from the comfort of their sofa.
Last edited by gnash on Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

Well said. It ill behooves members of this group, given as how smart they are, to disparage contestants however badly they perform.

Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

DBear wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 pm
Didn't you hear me screaming "Panacea" during the DD?
If I heard you I probably just assumed it was the echoes of my own screaming. ;)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:29 pm
"Emily Blunt" is an utterly unfamiliar name to me.
or is it ...?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3852&p=231774&hilit=blunt#p231774
Cue the "all these actresses look the same to me" TPH trope. :D

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

gnash wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:02 am
floridagator wrote:
Liz was really channeling Weird Al there. "Texas Honky-Tonk" is the official state music? Does she even know what a honky tonk is? Jesus was crucified on Ash Wednesday? That was some expensive and unrecoverable guessing. I thought the reason the contestant test was so tough was to weed out people like that.
Anyone can slip and give a stupid response under pressure on the J! stage. I had a clue that said "Henry Ford called minority stockholders in his corporation these, like the ones that cause dysentery & malaria" and I responded "What are mosquitoes?"

It takes a more select group to make gratuitously mean comments on the internet from the comfort of their sofa.
Agreed. It's awfully difficult to gauge a player's ability when they're facing James. Everyone is fighting for the scraps, so it's not at all surprising if they try a couple wild guesses. Missing that early DD put her into a hole she just couldn't get out of.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:02 am
You're spoiled by JBoard. Evidence suggests that group isn't very select at all.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am
Agreed. It's awfully difficult to gauge a player's ability when they're facing James. Everyone is fighting for the scraps, so it's not at all surprising if they try a couple wild guesses. Missing that early DD put her into a hole she just couldn't get out of.
Exactly. And I think a good case can be made for Liz's strategy even if it didn't work out. Alex lectured the poor woman not to ring in unless she's 100% sure, but that tactic is a non-starter against someone like James. It's probably better to try to ring in anytime you think you might have a shot and just hope you're right. The odds are terrible, but they're still a little better than if you just stand there looking terrified while the Zamboni rolls over you.

davey

Post by davey »

OK, who knew that Virginia had debated the abolition of slavery in 1832? It seemed so unlikely that, despite the dispositive second half of the clue, about the "split," I struggled to try to connect it to the Kansas-Nebraska Act. If I'd though it possible that Kansas had a split in 1863, I'd have gone with it, but as with some other recent FJs, the clue just required acceptance that yes, it was as easy as it seemed.

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Vi ... tart_entry