Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 am Despite music being one of my worst categories, I managed to get 4/5 of the Biggest Hits, missing only the $800 clue (1976/Silly Love Songs). Looking it up just now, I legit don't think I've ever heard this song before. Also, it's terrible, why was this a hit.
CasketRomance never hearing of "Call Me" would be shocking except he runs into a lot of such stuff with the J! material.

Now you having zero recognition of "Silly Love Songs" is just amazing. I do understand the handful of previous J! clues for the song, with the most recent over two years ago, was not going to help get tonight's clue. Still, that song would seem to be a tough one to have avoided hearing for more than 40 years it's been around.

Okay, let's do a little threadjacking. These are the six songs/artists from the 5/27 ep. of Beat Shazam:
Spoiler
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
"Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw
"On Broadway" by George Benson
"Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera
I'm curious if any artists/songs ring no bell? Whether you could have identified the song in a few seconds snippet or named the artist is not important for this post. It's about seeing the song & artist and admitting what's unknown. It's fine to check on hearing the songs for extra research and assurance either way.

For me:
Spoiler
No doubt I have heard of all of the artists before. "Treasure" is only very slightly familiar so I must have heard it at some point. (I have since checked and he played it at the Super Bowl halftime show, so yes.)

I'm quite confident I have never heard the McGraw or Aguilera songs before and had zero recognition for the titles even with the one Archive hit in 2010 for the Aguilera song.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 pm
Rackme32 wrote:
CasketRomance" wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: So who else joined me on seeing "Blondie was phoning it in" and said "Hanging on the Telephone" instead of "Call Me"?
not me...never heard of either those songs before
Went with "Call Me" as a total guess. Didn't know whether it was Blondie or not, not if that was the correct title. Never heard of "Hanging On The Telephone".
Being thiswas coming from TPH, I had to look up Hanging on the Telephone to verify it was an actual song. I own a Blondie Greatest Hits CD, but I never heard of that song.
It's on MY Blondie Greatest Hits CD. Also on Blondie Live. "Call Me" is as well, of course.

I'll partially join TPH on this one. I mentally fumbled around without getting to a title on this clue. But the music going through my head was from "Hanging on the Telephone". However, if you'd asked me which song was better known, I'd have gone with "Call Me". If I'd thought of both titles in time, "Call Me" is the one I'd have rung in with.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 am Despite music being one of my worst categories, I managed to get 4/5 of the Biggest Hits, missing only the $800 clue (1976/Silly Love Songs). Looking it up just now, I legit don't think I've ever heard this song before. Also, it's terrible, why was this a hit.
Because otherwise he might have gotten discouraged and never have written and released "Wonderful Christmastime".
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 am
CasketRomance never hearing of "Call Me" would be shocking except he runs into a lot of such stuff with the J! material.

Now you having zero recognition of "Silly Love Songs" is just amazing. I do understand the handful of previous J! clues for the song, with the most recent over two years ago, was not going to help get tonight's clue. Still, that song would seem to be a tough one to have avoided hearing for more than 40 years it's been around.

Okay, let's do a little threadjacking. These are the six songs/artists from the 5/27 ep. of Beat Shazam:
Spoiler
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
I'm curious if any artists/songs ring no bell? Whether you could have identified the song in a few seconds snippet or named the artist is not important for this post. It's about seeing the song & artist and admitting what's unknown. It's fine to check on hearing the songs for extra research and assurance either way.

For me:
Spoiler
No doubt I have heard of all of the artists before. "Treasure" is only very slightly familiar so I must have heard it at some point. (I have since checked and he played it at the Super Bowl halftime show, so yes.)

I'm quite confident I have never heard the McGraw or Aguilera songs before and had zero recognition for the titles even with the one Archive hit in 2010 for the Aguilera song.
Spoiler
6/6 having heard of the artists
All I Wanna Do, My Guy, On Broadway, instant recognition from the titles alone
Don't Take the Girl, vaguely familiar. This is utterly bizarre since I don't do country AT ALL
Treasure and Ain't No Other Man rang zero bells which is strange, the former because Bruno Mars is everywhere (though I skip SB halftime shows so I wouldn't have heard it there) and the latter because it's a pretty good song and it seems like I should've come across it before.

I'm not sure if 4 hits on the older material and 0/2 on the newer songs was the answer you were looking for :lol: but I hope it was helpful. Also, don't be shocked, as I said music is a terrible category for me, and I'm sure there's quite a few old classics that wouldn't ring any bells.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:48 amAs beekeepers (with a half dozen ankle stings due to making a Teranov split this weekend because, I don't know - it's twelvefootgirl's dealio), we found the bee category interesting. I assumed the dance clue would require "waggle dance", but the word might have been used in the clue, and they weren't being pedantic for 200 bucks (or 400?).
As the clue was being read, I assumed they were going for "waggle dance". But then the clue used the word "waggling" and distinguished that from a "circling" movement. This confused me. Would "waggle dance" be counted as a correct description of both movements when one of them was specifically described as NOT a waggling movement*? So I clammed. When James got credit for "What's a dance?" I said, "Is THAT all you wanted?!?!??"

* Wikipedia suggests they would not have accepted "what is waggle dance?" or at least SHOULD not have accepted it. The "round dance" is classified as a different dance and is not a subset of the "waggle dance".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My family had a reprint edition of the original Game of Life (looking it up, it was put out in 1970). It was very different from the 20th-century Game of Life, i.e., the one with the little plastic cars and Art Linkletter's picture on the $100,000 bill. The board was more like Chutes & Ladders without the chutes or ladders -- half the spaces were blank, and the other half were action spaces (collect points, or go to another space, or lose a turn), hence its full name, The Checkered Game of Life.

More info at BoardGameGeek.com
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 pm I can see the players missing Aunt Lydia, but there's really no excuse for missing Janelle Monáe. She's too famous now. Sorry, no excuse.
Never heard of her.
Ditto.
Same here. And that's a hard NHO. The name doesn't even ring a faint bell. But that doesn't mean I've actually never heard of her. After all, I heard of her on Jeopardy! just a few hours ago. Yet when I saw her name here in this thread, my first thought was that I've never heard of her. However, skimming through her Wikipedia page, I concede that she's fair game for J! clues. So I think we should just bide our time until morbeedo admits to missing something that everyone should know. Then I'll hold him down while you guys punch him! :twisted:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I had to look up Hanging on the Telephone to verify it was an actual song. I own a Blondie Greatest Hits CD, but I never heard of that song.
It's on MY Blondie Greatest Hits CD. Also on Blondie Live. "Call Me" is as well, of course.

I'll partially join TPH on this one. I mentally fumbled around without getting to a title on this clue. But the music going through my head was from "Hanging on the Telephone". However, if you'd asked me which song was better known, I'd have gone with "Call Me". If I'd thought of both titles in time, "Call Me" is the one I'd have rung in with.
That shows how long it's been since I listened to my Blondie CD, lol. I probably only heard the song once and decided that I didn't need to listen to that track anymore.
I can forgive xxaaxx for thinking Silly Love Songs is terrible, since I could say the same thing about 90% of Madonna's hits.

BTW: the bottom two clues were the only ones in that category I had a chance on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Okay, let's do a little threadjacking. These are the six songs/artists from the 5/27 ep. of Beat Shazam:
Spoiler
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
Totally familiar with songs 1, 3, 5. I've heard of the other three artists but didn't recognize and couldn't name any of their songs.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am 18600 for James at the first break. Not bad for 15 clues.

Nice timing for Monica with her Carnival in S.F. story since the 2019 coverage was on the local news yesterday.

Good thing I solved the FJ! clue since my LL of .733 in Games/Sports indicates GAMES is a favorable category. I played the later version of the game enough growing up that a miss would have bugged me all week.

Like James I went for the full title to have show off points above the challengers. Nice contest for second place with it close at the end.

A little more by James on the DDs and he could have taken a shot at his 1-day record. Today he could not do it without risking his lock.
I've been watching this show long enough that I remember seeing contestants win five or six games for a total of $130,000 or so, then lose one and walk away to the applause of an admiring audience who awaited his/her return for the ToC. I miss those days.
LeviAustin

Post by LeviAustin »

Almost set a new one-day record... yet again!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

So how many of the top single-day slots are now held by James H. before Roger Craig finally gets a nod for his $77k? And does James own a few more before we get to the lowly Ken Jennings and his itty bitty $75k?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The only thing I know Janelle Monáe for was her 0.229 second long guest vocal on "We Are Young" by fun. I thought she had completely disappeared after that.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Okay, let's do a little threadjacking. These are the six songs/artists from the 5/27 ep. of Beat Shazam:
Spoiler
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
Totally familiar with songs 1, 3, 5. I've heard of the other three artists but didn't recognize and couldn't name any of their songs.
Interesting. I guess I'm showing my (lack of?) age here - 1, 2, and 6 are the instagets for me. I've heard 3 and 5 many times, but never would have been able to guess the artist in a million years if you asked me. And I've never once heard 4, even though the artist is a very familiar name for me.

Also, I was able to identify Janelle Monae by the picture alone, but stayed clam on my pen-buzzer because I couldn't attach her name to anything else in the clue and wasn't 100% sure that wasn't a picture of somebody else.

Also also, listing to Silly Love Songs on YouTube didn't trigger any Pavolonian responses, so I don't think I've heard that one before either. (Granted, it's at least 9 years older than I am.)
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 am

Spoiler
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells

For me:
Spoiler

Spoiler
I'd be instantaneous on the first five -- it would depend on what part of "Ain't No Other Man" the show started with but I assume I would still get in before the time expired (I'm assuming this was the bonus round?).
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:30 am
Because otherwise he might have gotten discouraged and never have written and released "Wonderful Christmastime".
We could only have been so lucky.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I believe it was written in response to derisive comments from John Lennon about "silly love songs."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 pm I can see the players missing Aunt Lydia, but there's really no excuse for missing Janelle Monáe. She's too famous now. Sorry, no excuse.
Never heard of her.
That's fair. But since she's crossed over from music to film in a pretty big way, I'm surprised no one bit. Add her to the long of list of celebs snubbed by Jeopardy contestants!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I don't think I'd be able to recognize any of Janelle Monae's songs, but I did recognize her just from the photo last night.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 am
Spoiler
"Treasure" by Bruno Mars
"My Guy" by Mary Wells
This old goat only heard of the "On Broadway" song and heard of all the artists except Mary Wells. They just aren't playing them in rotation on NPR, Big Band Oldies, and talk radio (sports talk, not hate radio ;) )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.