Wednesday, May 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bbird
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bbird »

That one category in Double Jeopardy -- no, not that category, but the other one, the one that was all the way on the right side of the board -- the one with all the meandering garden path clues -- (finger snap) Could we please never have a category like that again?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I precalled "extravehicular" on the SPACE "EX" category reveal.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Can't say I've heard of "Time After Time" before. That and going with the wrong Queen song (for the record, I despise Queen) left me 3/5.
Lach Trash: "Bad". That was a very surprising TS.
xxaaaxx wrote:I guess 80s pop is right up my alley, 5/5 recognizing all the songs and 3/5 right (mind said Bad, mouth said Beat It for no good reason, Time After Time from just the lyrics wasn't happening).
Another 3/5 here. I had no problem with Time After Time but did not recognize the Queen lyrics at all. Even after hearing that song over a thousand times since 1980, I think it's because Freddie Mercury sings the lyric so staccato that I probably don't know half of the words.
Didn't recognize the Bad lyrics either. Since I can't stomach anything post Thriller album from MJ, the radio dial always goes flying when any of his later songs come on.

Interestingly, the J6 clue in that category was from another Cyndi Lauper song. Writers need to spend more time listening to 80s music and less time with rap crap.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Is there a list of the highest single game winnings for each season? It would be interesting to see how many of James' victories exceed most of the seasons.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:12 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Can't say I've heard of "Time After Time" before. That and going with the wrong Queen song (for the record, I despise Queen) left me 3/5.
Lach Trash: "Bad". That was a very surprising TS.
xxaaaxx wrote:I guess 80s pop is right up my alley, 5/5 recognizing all the songs and 3/5 right (mind said Bad, mouth said Beat It for no good reason, Time After Time from just the lyrics wasn't happening).
Another 3/5 here. I had no problem with Time After Time but did not recognize the Queen lyrics at all. Even after hearing that song over a thousand times since 1980, I think it's because Freddie Mercury sings the lyric so staccato that I probably don't know half of the words.
Didn't recognize the Bad lyrics either. Since I can't stomach anything post Thriller album from MJ, the radio dial always goes flying when any of his later songs come on.

I don't think I've actually heard "Another One Bites the Dust" in its entirety because again, I can't freaking stand Queen.

"Bad" was the first MJ song I'd ever heard. Although it was Ray Stevens' bluegrass-countrified cover of it. Probably why the lyrics of "Fat" didn't overpower it in my mind.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got all the '80s lyrics ones except "Bad." I thought the ordering was a little suspect, though. To me "Another One Bites The Dust" shouldn't have been worth $2,000 and I feel like the Bette Midler song was kind of difficult for $400.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:07 am I got all the '80s lyrics ones except "Bad." I thought the ordering was a little suspect, though. To me "Another One Bites The Dust" shouldn't have been worth $2,000 and I feel like the Bette Midler song was kind of difficult for $400.
Since the Bette Midler was the only one I got in the category, I disagree...As far as I know that song was as ubiquitous as something like...say...Silly Love Songs?... :roll: Hard to believe anyone could escape it! I assumed the $1200 was Bad, but those lyrics weren't familiar enough for me to ring in...
The Time After Time lyrics are familiar, but I would need the melody attached to get it quickly.
I have always found it hard to understand - or even to focus on - many lyrics of most pop songs.
davey

Post by davey »

bbird wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 am That one category in Double Jeopardy -- no, not that category, but the other one, the one that was all the way on the right side of the board -- the one with all the meandering garden path clues -- (finger snap) Could we please never have a category like that again?
Kudos for this...I don't disagree, but this is definitely a category where taking from the top down - and maybe one after the other - would have accustomed us to the style. I admit I was still so bewildered after 2 clues that on the third I grasped at "1800s author" and went with him - "so the gal in that book" just seemed like a dangling phrase... :oops:
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

davey wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 am I have always found it hard to understand - or even to focus on - many lyrics of most pop songs.
This. Except for me it's just "most songs". As a result of this and my age I went 1/5 in that category, getting only the Midler.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:07 am I got all the '80s lyrics ones except "Bad." I thought the ordering was a little suspect, though. To me "Another One Bites The Dust" shouldn't have been worth $2,000 and I feel like the Bette Midler song was kind of difficult for $400.
Since the Bette Midler was the only one I got in the category, I disagree...As far as I know that song was as ubiquitous as something like...say...Silly Love Songs?... :roll: Hard to believe anyone could escape it!
It's funny because I don't really remember hearing that song much in the '80s. It probably has more to do with the radio stations I was listening to in the '80s more than anything. The song certainly has had staying power.
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am
davey wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 am I have always found it hard to understand - or even to focus on - many lyrics of most pop songs.
This. Except for me it's just "most songs". As a result of this and my age I went 1/5 in that category, getting only the Midler.
I specified pop because I find musical theater lyrics much more easy and pleasant to absorb. Especially the masters - Porter, Berlin, Hart, Hammerstein, Sondheim. All those perfect rhymes, maybe... ;)
Golf

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 am It's funny because I don't really remember hearing that song much in the '80s. It probably has more to do with the radio stations I was listening to in the '80s more than anything. The song certainly has had staying power.
Every time I got in the car during winter semester of '89 I heard it. Was everywhere on the top 40 stations.

But perhaps since it was at the very end of the 80's some people don't associate it that much with the decade.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 pm How many other notable 19th century female authors are there who only wrote one book? Anna Sewell and Emily Bronte are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
And why do you ask this? The clue says nothing of a writer who wrote only one book.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 pm How many other notable 19th century female authors are there who only wrote one book? Anna Sewell and Emily Bronte are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
And why do you ask this? The clue says nothing of a writer who wrote only one book.
Already asked and answered.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:47 am I precalled "extravehicular" on the SPACE "EX" category reveal.
I almost never have any luck with precalls, but in this game I precalled both extravehicular activity (EVA) and the Great Dismal Swamp.

And that was pretty much the extent of my good fortune in this game.

I still don't understand what led anyone to the correct FJ answer. Was it YEKIOYD? Or is it supposedly common knowledge that Shelley's father was a philosopher? or is Frankenstein any more a work with philosophical overtones than a dozen other 19th-C. British novels? I would love to know how anyone got this.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Raising Cain, Madam Secretary, (Exhaust), Bad
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm ...

I still don't understand what led anyone to the correct FJ answer. Was it YEKIOYD? Or is it supposedly common knowledge that Shelley's father was a philosopher? or is Frankenstein any more a work with philosophical overtones than a dozen other 19th-C. British novels? I would love to know how anyone got this.
In my first post in the thread you can see the previous usage to match Godwin to Shelley for one way to get it through regular viewing of the show. You have been faithfully watching for many years so in this particular case that was no help for you.

The clue: The author of this tale dedicated the novel to British philosopher William Godwin, her father

Sometimes what I call a red ink approach can work. Simplify the clue to British tale author. The "her" lets you know it's a woman and the category gives you the century.

British woman writer in the 1800s. Name them. Go! Keep in mind it's the FJ! round so the list should be short:
Austen
Brontes
Eliot
Shelley
Barrett Browning

Now go back to "tale" and decide who if any to cross out. EBB would be first to eliminate. "Tale" and not "novel" should help sense Mary Shelley is the author. From there the work is obvious.

It's one clue and our roles can quickly reverse sometimes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm I still don't understand what led anyone to the correct FJ answer. Was it YEKIOYD? Or is it supposedly common knowledge that Shelley's father was a philosopher? or is Frankenstein any more a work with philosophical overtones than a dozen other 19th-C. British novels? I would love to know how anyone got this.
I knew that Mary Shelley was the daughter of Mary Wollstonecraft, so it didn't seem farfetched that her father should be a thinker too. It was a guess, but a "who else could it be" guess. (If I had known her maiden name was Godwin, it would have been a lot simpler!)

edit: also, the fact they gave her father's name was a strong indicator that the author in question was best known by a married name or a pseudonym, which rules out the Brontës at the very least.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu May 30, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

bbird wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 am That one category in Double Jeopardy -- no, not that category, but the other one, the one that was all the way on the right side of the board -- the one with all the meandering garden path clues -- (finger snap) Could we please never have a category like that again?
I really enjoyed it, myself. I think the show could do with more categories that make the contestants think laterally, and I thought this was a good effort.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I was impressed they managed to get all five of them. For me, I had to pause the DVR and take way more than five seconds to parse those clues. But then, before & after and other wordplay categories often trip me up too. (Mute + mote took more than a mite of time only because I'd never heard the word mote before. I learned something new yesterday!)