FJs for the 5/27/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/27/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

When this game was introduced in 1860, it had squares like Intemperance & Poverty & if you hit the Suicide square your game was over
87%
This cartoon character was based on a character in the educational comic "The Intertidal Zone"
64%
The author of this tale dedicated the novel to British philosopher William Godwin, her father
75%
Its anthem was adopted in 1947 to replace one by Joseph Haydn that had been tainted by association with Nazis
75%
It’s the last name of Alfred, Lionel, David, Emil, Thomas & Randy, who with 90 nominations, are the most Oscar-nominated family
40%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
POETIC GEOGRAPHY $2000 box DD: "Harlem", sometimes called "A Dream Deferred", is probably the most famous poem by this man
70%
GROUP NAMES OF ANIMALS $1000: A group of owls is a wisdom or one of these legislatures
73%
1919 $1000: In 2019 Germany & other lands have events honoring the 100th birthday of this modernist design school
73%
Monopoly was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
5%
Popeye was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Some form of Germany was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
12%
Poland was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
7%
Barrymore was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
39%
Either the airing of the Stanley Cup Final or the NBA Finals affected J! airing at the regular time in my area.
10%

Total votes: 105

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 5/27/19 week

Post by Plactus » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:51 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Poland; Warner (desperation guess).

I knew it wasn't Germany; Germany kept their anthem minus a couple verses. I should have tried to think of countries similar to Germany rather than relying on my terrible attempts to match composers to countries.
I knew it wasn't Barrymore but Lionel grabbed my attention. If Randy had instead, I might have thought Newman and made that as a guess, but it didn't happen.

I'm not watching the show right now but playing off the Archive (and thank you to the people who maintain it!); however, given that Jeopardy! airs in my area on CBS in afternoons, I would guess there haven't been preemptions for evening hockey/basketball on different channels.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm

I don't follow Spongebob, but I never would have thought he had origins in an "educational comic." I was thinking more along the lines of the ecologically-minded, save-the-planet stuff that came out in the 90's.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 pm

squarekara wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm
I don't follow Spongebob, but I never would have thought he had origins in an "educational comic." I was thinking more along the lines of the ecologically-minded, save-the-planet stuff that came out in the 90's.
Like Ferngully?
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:19 pm

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Inexplicably said Captain Planet Dora the Explorer on Tuesday. Got Newman immediately on Friday, then spent 28 seconds hem-hawing over to cross it out and go with Barrymore instead.

Foretopman

Post by Foretopman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:03 pm

In retrospect I can identify work done by Alfred, Lionel, and Randy, but never knew they were related. Went with Barrymore knowing it was wrong, but unable to come up anything better, largely, I suppose, because I was fixated on actors or directors.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 pm
squarekara wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm
Like Ferngully?
Exactly. Captain Planet, Toxic Crusaders, etc.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Someone mentioned Randy Newman having worked on Disney's The Princess and the Frog (I think in the daily thread), so here's a clip that contains a brief caricature of RN as "Cousin Randy," a firefly with washboard abs.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had no idea that "Life" was so old, but the last few words of the clue really, really seemed to point to it. I'm sure Michael Altman got it. I did have a rough idea of when "Monopoly" was invented.

I remembered KJ's SpongeBob game, and I realized it was a pretty long time ago.

I might have stumbled into "Newman' had there been a Paul in the family. As it was, no chance ("Disney", if we're keeping score).

"Papa" Haydn was W.C.'s father, right?

Hadn't realized "Bauhaus" went back so far, but WE, i asked myself, CIB? WHen I hear "Bauhaus" I think of the 1963 Pan-Am building on Park Avenue, "Britain's revenge for Suez", according to V.S. Pritchett.
I'm smart and I want respect.

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 am

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

I'm claiming a get on Monday in spite of trying to come up with anything else that could make sense. Had no idea that the game was that old. I figured it for part of the 1950's board game explosion.

Thursday was an educated guess. Figured Germany was too obvious, and no other country was as closely associated with the Nazis. (For some reason I always think of Haydn as English. I need to get him associated with the right country.)

I had to laugh at Friday. When I saw Alfred leading the list, my first thought was E. Neuman. But he was a cartoon and of publishing fame. Little did I know I was remarkably close. And besides, there was no Paul in the list. ;) Of the actual people referred to, the only one I know is Randy.
--Peter