Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

While many of us are mourning today's regicide, let's give major props to the new reigning champion Emma. She played significantly better than Nancy Zerg did in Ken's game 75.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I just hate he had to lose when he was so close to beating Ken Jennings cash earnings record. One or two more wins, he would have passed him. Even more unusual, his loss comes one day after the fifteenth anniversary of Ken’s first game and the fifth anniversary of Julia’s loss. Hopefully James will win the Tournament of Champions in November. Even better, I’d like to see another three month Ultimate Tournament of Champions with the two final games being James, Ken, and Brad.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 am Why bet so little in FJ if you've got nothing to gain and nothing to lose? The novelty of it?
He had everything to gain if Emma missed FJ. He had every reason to believe that Emma would bet enough to shut him out, so his only chance of winning was a miss by Emma. With that in mind, he played to guard against a double-up by the middle guy, knowing, correctly, that Emma was unbeatable. He absolutely made the right wager.
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

archivists not messing around today as the game is already half complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6304
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

And this means his average earnings per win are just a smidgen below the previous single-game record. --Bob
LeviAustin

Post by LeviAustin »

Ken Jennings record 74 games & $2,520,700 still stands us "unbeatable".
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

kingskip wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am I just hate he had to lose when he was so close to beating Ken Jennings cash earnings record. One or two more wins, he would have passed him. Even more unusual, his loss comes one day after the fifteenth anniversary of Ken’s first game and the fifth anniversary of Julia’s loss. Hopefully James will win the Tournament of Champions in November. Even better, I’d like to see another three month Ultimate Tournament of Champions with the two final games being James, Ken, and Brad.
I too would like to see another UTOC, but with a different final 3.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Back to Old School Jeopardy? That is going to be a tough transition. It is different than Ken as he played a mostly traditional style with extreme timing and knowledge skills. James played the game differently and I doubt we will see other players adapt his strategy in a meaningful way. I hope for more TDD in the Jeopardy round but am afraid we will go back to the old standby standard of non-thinking $1,000 or $2,000 wagers. It really is going to lose at least some levels of excitement now that I have seen someone play the Jeopardy round the way it should be optimally played. I even doubt the new champ will be aggressive -she likely played it this way out of necessity more than as a general strategy. We will see where she goes for the first clue on Tuesday.

Overall, great run and James lost in a way I wasn’t really expecting as I thought the law of averages would eventually catch up to him and he would miss on a big DJ DD wager, leaving him exposed to a FJ loss.

Ken’s streak is never likely going to be broken. James’ run makes you think the money could be caught but you need a special player.

Is the goal now for someone to at least bump James out of one of the top spots on the single day charts? That is another aspect here - Jeopardy likely has its top single day win for eternity unless the dollar amounts change on the clues, which seems highly unlikely.

Yes, I am disappointed but the show will go on...even if I have to adjust my own expectations of the game itself.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

don't need to come in here to know what the spoiler is...2 pages of this thread and it is only 20 minutes after noon eastern time? hmmmm...i wonder what would have got the discussion going this early

this is going to be the best episode of the season...i wonder if the champion will pull a nancy zerg and lose the following game
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

yclept wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:04 pm Jeopardy likely has its top single day win for eternity unless the dollar amounts change on the clues, which seems highly unlikely.
J! hasn't doubled its clue values since November 2001. $2,000 in 2001 is equivalent to nearly $2,900 in 2019. It's been long enough that I've got to think they'll increase the clue values again in the next 2-3 seasons. But first I think J! should bump up the 2nd and 3rd place payouts. $1K especially can make it hard for a contestant to cover her costs.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:22 pm
yclept wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:04 pm Jeopardy likely has its top single day win for eternity unless the dollar amounts change on the clues, which seems highly unlikely.
J! hasn't doubled its clue values since November 2001. $2,000 in 2001 is equivalent to nearly $2,900 in 2019. It's been long enough that I've got to think they'll increase the clue values again in the next 2-3 seasons. But first I think J! should bump up the 2nd and 3rd place payouts. $1K especially can make it hard for a contestant to cover her costs.
totally agree...about as worthless as the payouts first prize payouts in other countries...you win 1k for third and it is pretty much a losing venture after travel expenses and taxes
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 am King Jame has fallen. Long live King James. His legacy is as the greatest regular-play contestant in the Trebek incarnation of the show. The way he now totally dominates the record books is astonishing. Now we'll get to see how he does in tournaments, including the inevitable matchup with Ken and Brad.
and unlike guy fawkes, this person did not fail in their attempt
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm don't need to come in here to know what the spoiler is...2 pages of this thread and it is only 20 minutes after noon eastern time? hmmmm...i wonder what would have got the discussion going this early
Today's Reddit thread is already at 500 comments.

ETA: It's mostly people complaining about being spoiled over the weekend, at least in the top comments.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

I'm probably not the only one who was spoiled by Maggie Haberman retweeting the spoiler while saying "spoiler alert" - which ought to be an all-time example of poor retweeting.

Congratulations to Emma on a historic win and James on a historic run. Also throwing in my support for an UUTOC.

-Dan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm don't need to come in here to know what the spoiler is...2 pages of this thread and it is only 20 minutes after noon eastern time? hmmmm...i wonder what would have got the discussion going this early
Today's Reddit thread is already at 500 comments.

ETA: It's mostly people complaining about being spoiled over the weekend, at least in the top comments.
holzhauer kind of alluded to it on his twitter page...was it really a coincidence that he posted the night before about his kid crying over the possibility of her old man losing on the show?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

zakharov wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am Laughing my butt off at the New York Times spoiling this for the entire country with a push notification.
NYT did the same when he passed $2M. Ugh. Someone posted one of the earliest leaks on my Facebook page. Thanks for that!

I'd really love to see this king-slayer break the one and done curse!

I suppose the spoiler was inevitable, but I'm still excited to watch.

Informal poll. When you've been spoiled, does it make you want to ruin it for other people?
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pdano wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:07 pm I'm probably not the only one who was spoiled by Maggie Haberman retweeting the spoiler while saying "spoiler alert" - which ought to be an all-time example of poor retweeting.

Congratulations to Emma on a historic win and James on a historic run. Also throwing in my support for an UUTOC.

-Dan
she has deactivated her twitter account....i guess the holzhauer trolls got to her already
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:12 pm
zakharov wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am Laughing my butt off at the New York Times spoiling this for the entire country with a push notification.
NYT did the same when he passed $2M. Ugh. Someone posted one of the earliest leaks on my Facebook page. Thanks for that!
not really that big of a deal....if you didn't read anymore than that, you still don't know how dude gets bounced and also don't know the clues of the entire game....i am actually excited to watch knowing that he will no longer be coming into my house on a nightly basis
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Between seeing a link to this story on Twitter and seeing over 20 comments in today's game thread when I went here an hour ago, I knew something was up. Luckily my online episode source already had today's game uploaded, so I didn't have to wait until this evening to watch.

When a dominant champ always makes a long run, I always have ambivalent feelings towards it. Great champs making long runs are always great to see, but it can grow stale after a while for my tastes. Maybe it's because some of these champs wrapped up a majority of their games before Final Jeopardy and I like seeing games go down to the wire, but I digress. But James was fantastic and once he neared Ken's winnings record, I was rooting for him hard to break it. Surprisingly, he didn't get there.

It's really a testament to James that he didn't go out with a whimper. He didn't shoot himself in the foot like Ken did by missing two Daily Doubles and missing Final Jeopardy. Emma and Jay were simply two good competitors that did well enough to limit James.

I know I'm rambling here, but I'm just showing my awe and appreciation. If we ever see a run like this again, I don't think it will be for a long time.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:12 pm
not really that big of a deal....if you didn't read anymore than that, you still don't know how dude gets bounced and also don't know the clues of the entire game....i am actually excited to watch knowing that he will no longer be coming into my house on a nightly basis
Damn, don't hold back, man! He never gave me a reason not to like him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯