Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

Didn't think he'd lose on a Monday. I'm curious to know what the players know going in, besides # games and total $ won
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 am While many of us are mourning today's regicide, let's give major props to the new reigning champion Emma. She played significantly better than Nancy Zerg did in Ken's game 75.
Mourning regicide? I don't get you (or anyone) calling James king of Jeopardy, and I am certainly not sad, au contraire.
I'm happy to see James go... :)
I am surprised that he didn't get closer to Ken's record of 74 wins.
RobinMSwartz

Post by RobinMSwartz »

When Jane Pauley interviewed Alex for "CBS Sunday Morning" for a segment that aired May 12, she asked him: "When you recorded the 'Jeopardy!' segments featuring James, was that before you had your diagnosis?" His reply: "Some of it was before, and some of it was after."

My head jerked up and my wife and I looked at each other with big eyes. I said, "He loses before the end of the season." It was only a matter of time. The spoilers were there if we were looking for them.
S36 2x champ
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm not really that big of a deal....if you didn't read anymore than that, you still don't know how dude gets bounced and also don't know the clues of the entire game....i am actually excited to watch knowing that he will no longer be coming into my house on a nightly basis
Tell us how you really feel.

A spoiler is still a spoiler - someone saying "Such and such super hero dies during his movie!" is a spoiler, even if you don't know how he dies or what he died for.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Spoiler alert, in Endgame, Thor dies of a heart attack after eating too much Hulka Hulka Burning Fudge ice cream.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:25 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:12 pm
zakharov wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am Laughing my butt off at the New York Times spoiling this for the entire country with a push notification.
NYT did the same when he passed $2M. Ugh. Someone posted one of the earliest leaks on my Facebook page. Thanks for that!
not really that big of a deal....if you didn't read anymore than that, you still don't know how dude gets bounced and also don't know the clues of the entire game....i am actually excited to watch knowing that he will no longer be coming into my house on a nightly basis
Damn, don't hold back, man! He never gave me a reason not to like him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

he has that serial killer smile....but hated him well before his jeopardy run....hated him on the chase and grew more disdain toward him when he was on 500 questions
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

irene wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 am While many of us are mourning today's regicide, let's give major props to the new reigning champion Emma. She played significantly better than Nancy Zerg did in Ken's game 75.
Mourning regicide? I don't get you (or anyone) calling James king of Jeopardy, and I am certainly not sad, au contraire.
I'm happy to see James go... :)
I am surprised that he didn't get closer to Ken's record of 74 wins.
i am with you, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

already on page 3 and only a couple of markets have aired the episode...will this thread break the record for longest game recap thread on here? what is said record anyway?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I've been a lurker on this site for a while but decided to sign up to express my displeasure with the person posting spoilers on here Saturday night with the leaked FJ video.

Great run for James.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm not really that big of a deal....if you didn't read anymore than that, you still don't know how dude gets bounced and also don't know the clues of the entire game....i am actually excited to watch knowing that pos will no longer be coming into my house on a nightly basis
Tell us how you really feel.

A spoiler is still a spoiler - someone saying "Such and such super hero dies during his movie!" is a spoiler, even if you don't know how he dies or what he died for.
i can't...i might get banned
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

ParrotRob wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 am Why bet so little in FJ if you've got nothing to gain and nothing to lose? The novelty of it?
He had everything to gain if Emma missed FJ. He had every reason to believe that Emma would bet enough to shut him out, so his only chance of winning was a miss by Emma. With that in mind, he played to guard against a double-up by the middle guy, knowing, correctly, that Emma was unbeatable. He absolutely made the right wager.
Thanks, I fired off that question before noting Jay's score.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Well, if any of James' Twitter followers weren't spoiled by the news already:

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I'm posting this article here because it's still a spoiler in most markets:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/arts ... pardy.html

A highlight: Emma was well-prepared.
wrote:The 27-year-old University of Chicago librarian said in an interview that she had watched “Jeopardy!” religiously for years, playing along with a pen as a makeshift buzzer and documenting her scores in a notebook. For each row on the “Jeopardy!” board, Boettcher said, she had calculated the percentage of times she answered correctly. She did the same for the Daily Doubles.
“I knew going in that Daily Double hunting was something that I could do and feel confident doing,” she said. “I don’t need to be cautious around that.”
Perhaps the hinge point in the game:
wrote:Holzhauer said that one turning point during the game was when he picked a clue worth $1,200 from a category about capitals that begin with “A.”
(In 1664, the English changed its name from Beverwijck to this to honor James, Duke of it.)

“The answer to this question occurred to me a second too late, so she was able to out-buzz me,” Holzhauer said. (What is Albany?)

The next clue Boettcher chose was a Daily Double, and Holzhauer said it was the same box he would have chosen next. Boettcher was behind at that point, so she wagered everything. And she got it right.

That’s when Boettcher thought to herself, “I’ve got a shot now.”
And James handled the defeat with dignity and class.
wrote:“I lost to a really top-level competitor,” Holzhauer said. “She played a perfect game. And that was what it took to beat me.”
(and of course, as seen in the broadcast, James high-fived Emma)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

As someone in the contestant pool, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

As a fan, sad to see him go. What a run.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

choplakecity wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm As someone in the contestant pool, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

What is ambivalence? :)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:12 pm
choplakecity wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm As someone in the contestant pool, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

never heard of it...i suck at words
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:12 pm

I never was totally altruistic...
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

I deleted 2 news feeds that I subscribe to because they put the outcome of today's game into the title of their email.

Enough childish stupidity.
CharlieD
Contributor

Post by CharlieD »

I like Mark's idea of a cage match between Ken, Brad and James. A best of 7, first to 4 wins, would be great. I think Alex Jacob, Roger Craig and a few others could also be invited, for another ultimate tournament.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Almost poetic that James came so close to Ken's total and found himself just barely unable to overtake him. Ah well. It's been a blast following James, and I think there's a very strong argument in favor of him as the best player of all time, even without the total cash record.