James wouldn't have lost pre-James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: [Redacted Title with SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 am Shouldn't this thread be considered a spoiler since the mentioned game happened not long ago?
I would think so. The thread title is especially problematic since one is spoiled before even opening it. At the very least, the title should have been different and should have included the word SPOILERS. Our general rule is to allow at least a week before talking about previous game results in other threads without encasing the comments in spoiler tags.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: James wouldn't have lost pre-James

Post by triviawayne »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:35 pm These spoilers are getting out of hand. Next thing you know you're going to tell me something really crazy, like
Spoiler
Vader is Luke's father
or
Spoiler
the professor can do all kinds of science-y stuff on that island, but he can't fix a hole in the boat.
Spoiler
Rosebud was a sled
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Re: [Redacted Title with SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 am Shouldn't this thread be considered a spoiler since the mentioned game happened not long ago?
I would think so. The thread title is especially problematic since one is spoiled before even opening it. At the very least, the title should have been different and should have included the word SPOILERS. Our general rule is to allow at least a week before talking about previous game results in other threads without encasing the comments in spoiler tags.
How many weeks for a regular TV show? :twisted:
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am Emma came in cold. She made that bet without having seen James play once.
How do we know she didn't come to the studio the week before to watch a taping?
Official Jeopardy! and press interviews?
Would she be required to mention she was there? Does the show keep track of every person in every audience? Or is there something that specifically states she wasn't there at any time to see him prior to her tape day (full disclosure--I didn't read any of her interviews or see any press of her)?
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:20 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am Emma came in cold. She made that bet without having seen James play once.
How do we know she didn't come to the studio the week before to watch a taping?
Official Jeopardy! and press interviews?
Would she be required to mention she was there? Does the show keep track of every person in every audience? Or is there something that specifically states she wasn't there at any time to see him prior to her tape day (full disclosure--I didn't read any of her interviews or see any press of her)?
There’s an interview with her somewhere in which she says she showed up for the taping and was casually told the current champion had won over $2 million and she thought it had to be a mistake.
dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Post by dirkgonnadirk »

The GoT spoiler is ridiculous, but Austin Powers was also one of the people making 'subtle' comments about James' lost before it aired. Some people have gotta get their kicks online if they can't in real life, I guess.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am
Sure. But she certainly is capable of dividing $2 million+/30+games
Still, though. Emma has literally studied the game more than maybe three or four people here on JBoard. She knew what she was doing, James or no James.
I wouldn't have to divide anything by anything here.

If I am going against someone with seven figures of Sony money coming into my game, I am going to have to play as aggressively as possible.

Oh, BTW:
Spoiler
Dewey defeats Truman.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

dirkgonnadirk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:33 pm The GoT spoiler is ridiculous, but Austin Powers was also one of the people making 'subtle' comments about James' lost before it aired. Some people have gotta get their kicks online if they can't in real life, I guess.
Spoiler
Tony Stark dies
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:33 pm
gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm Also, Emma said in an interview that she had auditioned 4 times. That means she was in the pool for like 6 years before getting the call. If they were aware of her strengths, why did they not call her before? They save top players for clashes of titans? There's no explanation that doesn't sound like a huge stretch.
Plenty of future champs need multiple auditions to get on the show. Often, it's just a "too many teachers from Texas this year" situation, or being so nervous that you're having trouble speaking up, and freezing in the mock game. And presumably, Emma's a much stronger player in every way at 27 than she was when she first auditioned as a teenager (her first audition was in high school, according to press).

My guess is that the contestant coordinators keep notes about auditionees with potential who aren't quite ready for prime time yet, and sometimes wait out promising candidates with the hope that they'll come back in a couple years with some extra polish and poise.
I don't think it's possible to know in advance who is going to be a top-level contestant. Test scores aren't very predictive; I know plenty of veritable trivia experts who lost in their only game. You get to play with a buzzer for maybe 15 clues. There's no way to predict how good your timing will be over a whole game, let alone several games. I don't attribute superhuman abilities to contestant coordinators. They have tests to weed out people who don't know a lot of stuff and their judgment to weed out people who would freeze or be too shy on the set, be obnoxious or creepy, or not be able to follow directions. And then they try to get a balanced mix by gender, demographics, geography, occupation... I don't think they are into predicting the next Ken or James. They know there are such people in the pool and they'll show up sooner or later.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:35 pm
Spoiler
the professor can do all kinds of science-y stuff on that island, but he can't fix a hole in the boat.
Spoiler
Russell Johnson later claimed that the Professor could have gotten the castaways off the island anytime he wanted, but given that he faced little realistic competition for Mary Ann and Ginger, why would he want to?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:35 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Russell Johnson later claimed that the Professor could have gotten the castaways off the island anytime he wanted, but given that he faced little realistic competition for Mary Ann and Ginger, why would he want to?
Spoiler
you would think after the first couple of years he would realize it wasn’t gonna happen...but ten years...and spoiler in a spoiler here...then he gets them off the island and by this time...spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler here...Ginger is unrecognizable
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:33 pm
gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm Also, Emma said in an interview that she had auditioned 4 times. That means she was in the pool for like 6 years before getting the call. If they were aware of her strengths, why did they not call her before? They save top players for clashes of titans? There's no explanation that doesn't sound like a huge stretch.
Plenty of future champs need multiple auditions to get on the show. Often, it's just a "too many teachers from Texas this year" situation, or being so nervous that you're having trouble speaking up, and freezing in the mock game. And presumably, Emma's a much stronger player in every way at 27 than she was when she first auditioned as a teenager (her first audition was in high school, according to press).

My guess is that the contestant coordinators keep notes about auditionees with potential who aren't quite ready for prime time yet, and sometimes wait out promising candidates with the hope that they'll come back in a couple years with some extra polish and poise.
I don't think it's possible to know in advance who is going to be a top-level contestant. Test scores aren't very predictive; I know plenty of veritable trivia experts who lost in their only game. You get to play with a buzzer for maybe 15 clues. There's no way to predict how good your timing will be over a whole game, let alone several games. I don't attribute superhuman abilities to contestant coordinators. They have tests to weed out people who don't know a lot of stuff and their judgment to weed out people who would freeze or be too shy on the set, be obnoxious or creepy, or not be able to follow directions. And then they try to get a balanced mix by gender, demographics, geography, occupation... I don't think they are into predicting the next Ken or James. They know there are such people in the pool and they'll show up sooner or later.
To clarify, my comment wasn’t about test scores; it was solely about presentation. I think sometimes people forget that above all else, the Jeopardy! audition process is casting for a TV show.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm
Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler
The chicken was a baby
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 am
Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler
The chicken was a baby
Spoiler
thanks for ruining what's on my Betamax tape that I haven't seen yet. I went to bed after that UFO turned out to be a weather balloon
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:22 pm
Caboom wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am
Spoiler
Also Jon kills Dany.
Wow, what an asshole. I hope you're happy you ruined the ending for me. But then knowing how arrogant and condescending you regularly are, I'm 100 % sure you couldn't care less.
i see now it is that lame show game of thrones....that show ended the other week and you had been able to avoid spoilers until now?
Yep.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Caboom wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:22 pm
Caboom wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am
Spoiler
Also Jon kills Dany.
Wow, what an asshole. I hope you're happy you ruined the ending for me. But then knowing how arrogant and condescending you regularly are, I'm 100 % sure you couldn't care less.
i see now it is that lame show game of thrones....that show ended the other week and you had been able to avoid spoilers until now?
Yep.
Did you at least hear what happened to King’s Landing?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 am
Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler