Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm I was rooting for Erin to beat Emma until she got FJ! wrong (yes I'm still pretty upset that James lost -- I was expecting he would still be going by now because I remember Alex saying on CBS Sunday Morning that some of the episodes featuring James were taped before his cancer diagnosis and some were taped after, and this weeks episodes were taped after his diagnosis). But hopefully the "giant killer" loses tomorrow before she can be guaranteed a spot in the ToC because I would hate to see James lose again if he and Emma rematch in the ToC, especially if it's a quarterfinal match.
A real Holzhauer fan would be itching for a rematch. What are ya? Chicken? BUCCCKKK buck buck buck buck buck buck buck.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm I was rooting for Erin to beat Emma until she got FJ! wrong (yes I'm still pretty upset that James lost -- I was expecting he would still be going by now because I remember Alex saying on CBS Sunday Morning that some of the episodes featuring James were taped before his cancer diagnosis and some were taped after, and this weeks episodes were taped after his diagnosis). But hopefully the "giant killer" loses tomorrow before she can be guaranteed a spot in the ToC because I would hate to see James lose again if he and Emma rematch in the ToC, especially if it's a quarterfinal match.
A real Holzhauer fan would be itching for a rematch. What are ya? Chicken? BUCCCKKK buck buck buck buck buck buck buck.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Jonathan made the most of his one appearance by killing it in his interview. I know he hoped for more--the chance to play FJ, for starters--but he can be proud of that at least. Erin made a good impression by going true DD because she knew that was the right call even though she was clearly nervous to be doing it. I know it was "only" $2000 but she had JUST gotten out of the red and put that total together by winning the buzzer race three times in a row. Unfortunately, she didn't know Van Cliburn. (I did, but I'm a classical geek.) But she still did herself proud by not just standing and gawping but pulling out a reasonable guess that fit the category: "Ludwig van Beethoven".

Emma's somewhat timid DD3 left Erin still in the game, thanks in part to Jonathan keeping a few bucks away from Emma. But once I saw the category I knew this was probably something Emma had drilled in and Erin didn't stand a chance. My own thinking started with Erin's guess: uranium (discovered 1789, actually, but Erin and I didn't know that). And in Erin's shoes, under the lights, I don't think I'd have gotten any farther. (For starters, my feet would be killing me. I wear a Men's 12 or 13.) From the couch I was hampered by thinking Uranium wasn't in the NATO alphabet but not being able to remember what WAS there for U. Umbrella? No. U-boat? That seems both closer and farther away somehow. But I was finally able to tear myself away from that letter and landed on the correct one almost instantly with plenty of clock left. Another day and I'm sure I'd have gone down a wrong trail and gotten lost. Still, if I ever get the call, the NATO phonetic alphabet is one of the things I plan on knowing cold. It'll be easy enough to practice in spare moments when concentrated study isn't possible.

Mrs Penguin also got FJ because she happens to work for a company with an X in its name. She has more than once spelled the name out using a phonetic alphabet of her own devising that coincides with NATO's on that particular letter.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 pm Unfortunately, she didn't know Van Cliburn. (I did, but I'm a classical geek.)
I've been lucky enough to attend the finals and see the winner perform. Both the music and the venue are amazing. If you ever have the chance, attend. It's only held every four years. The early rounds are worth seeing as well.

Van Cliburn was a famous night owl and would be seen frequently in downtown Fort Worth. On occasion he would play for the lucky few that happened to still be there and awake.

Was nice to see 2nd place wager everything in a 2-player FJ. I'm thinking Emma's poor late DD wagers will soon cost her.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 pm
gnash wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm $3,000 is virtually never a good DD wager.

I cut Emma some slack the first time she did it, as I know very well how much the excitement of the situation she was in can mess with your brain. But the second offense deserves a citation. Incidentally, my rule of thumb of "at least 5,000" is holding up pretty well, even though I've began to consider it too conservative.
You're not taking into account category or clue row level. You can't just say at least any figure.
I am not because it's irrelevant for this consideration.
Aside from endgame scenarios, I believe either $5 or everything offers the best winning chances.
$5 is the other prong of my rule. If you don't like your chances, that's what you should wager. Everything is good early on or if you're behind or if you are playing against a formidable opponent. It doesn't make sense at all in Emma's position, as she can secure a lock with a far lower wager. But it's too hard to calculate on the spot what's required to secure a lock, and it's hardly necessary, as Erin probably wasn't going to get all the remaining clues.
But yes, $3000 is virtually never a good DD wager.
Very well, then, we agree.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 pm Unfortunately, she didn't know Van Cliburn. (I did, but I'm a classical geek.) But she still did herself proud by not just standing and gawping but pulling out a reasonable guess that fit the category: "Ludwig van Beethoven".
I knew Van Cliburn immediately, but I'm also a fan of classical music as well as much older than Erin. Only when she gave her response did I realize there was a sizeable neg bait in that clue.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:11 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 pm Unfortunately, she didn't know Van Cliburn. (I did, but I'm a classical geek.)
I've been lucky enough to attend the finals and see the winner perform. Both the music and the venue are amazing. If you ever have the chance, attend. It's only held every four years. The early rounds are worth seeing as well.

Van Cliburn was a famous night owl and would be seen frequently in downtown Fort Worth. On occasion he would play for the lucky few that happened to still be there and awake.

Was nice to see 2nd place wager everything in a 2-player FJ. I'm thinking Emma's poor late DD wagers will soon cost her.
So, did you ever have the good fortune to stumble into an after hours Fort Worth bar and find Van Cliburn tickling the ivories? Now that would be surreal (these days perhaps the most overused adjective for all things)!

I can't think of another FJ cat that would lend itself so well to using the intermission to mentally (or even writing down) the whole damn 26 likely responses.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:26 pm So, did you ever have the good fortune to stumble into an after hours Fort Worth bar and find Van Cliburn tickling the ivories? Now that would be surreal (these days perhaps the most overused adjective for all things)!
Sadly I did not. But in those days it certainly wasn't for lack of being in a bar after midnight!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:26 pm
I can't think of another FJ cat that would lend itself so well to using the intermission to mentally (or even writing down) the whole damn 26 likely responses.
Ain't that the truth! In light of this, it seems a safe assumption that Erin probably didn't just run out of time working through Alfa,Bravo,Charlie... before getting to X-ray. Rather, she probably didn't have that arrow in her quiver at all. :?
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got x-ray right away. I'm a licensed radio operator but I use the LAPD phonetic alphabet, not NATO, because I refuse to say whiskey. Kilo is also problematic because of its association with drugs, and sierra is problematic because it can start with either s or c.

The FCC rules say hams have to use a phonetic alphabet but it doesn't say they have to use a particular one.

It was tantalizing how Emma bobbed between having and not having a runaway.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $24,200

35 R (2 DDs), 4 W

Lach Trash: Lake Placid, Van Cliburn, Petronas Towers

FJ--Yes. I have the entire NATO alphabet memorized, so this was an instaget.

Unfortunate steep drop for Jonathan, though that heteronyms category was one of the toughest categories (at least for me) that I've seen in recent memory. I only got rose/rosé.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Emma is proving to be formidable - and following most good champions in the history of the show, she would have at least been on a comparable plaIn.

She got off to a red hot start, but lost her mojo quickly. I was hoping she would hit the DD when she was over $7K in the J! round just to see what the strategy would have been.

That said, late in the game, DD already discovered in Dictators, and both Emma and Erin jump back to that category. It is those little things that can annoy (though I remember Larissa doing this in the Battle of the Decades, so if one of the best to play the game can make that mistake....)

$3,000 is the type of DD wager that we have grown to expect but have been fortunate to not see lately. I don’t expect James’ level aggressiveness, but I hate the “throw out a random, seemingly safe, number” stuff. This was an $800 clue, too.

All that said, she almost hit the $100K barrier in her first three shows, which is rare territory. As I said, formidable and the potential to be a super champion - just following the wrong person to get the respect it likely deserves. “$90K+ in three shows? James exceeded that multiple times in single shows!”
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I watched this episode online after the preempted 2:07 am airing was itself preempted by live coverage of D-Day commemorations in France. Condolences to fellow Angelenos who will wake up to an unpleasant surprise on their DVRs; PM me if you want to find the show. [edit: actually, I should post that elsewhere, since one could be expected to avoid the discussion thread of a game one missed.]
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Me, the other day: "Oh, the OE in Emma's last name is said like the OE in Roentgen."
Me, in Wednesday's FJ: :D
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 am I use the LAPD phonetic alphabet, not NATO, because I refuse to say whiskey. Kilo is also problematic because of its association with drugs
Jesus Fornicating Christ
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 amI'm a licensed radio operator but I use the LAPD phonetic alphabet, not NATO, because I refuse to say whiskey. Kilo is also problematic because of its association with drugs,
You refuse to SAY "whiskey"? I know Amish that aren't that conservative. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

My first thought on FJ - I guess cause the word is already part of an alphabet - was Gamma Rays...Discovered, it turns out, by a French physicist in 1900...I had plenty of time to rethink and came up with the right response. Still, I was surprised when I looked up the right word for G...I mean, no offense to anybody who finds it a descriptive name, but it's not very memorable... ;)

EDIT: Of course Delta IS a part of the NATO alphabet as well as the Greek, so I'm thinking Gamma wasn't such a bad guess. Glad I thought better of it, though...
Last edited by davey on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Does anybody else think Jonathan should have been negged for "Dr Scholl's"? The clue asked for "this doctor", and the doctor's name was just "Scholl". Or is there a precedent for allowing the possessive in cases like this?
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 am Does anybody else think Jonathan should have been negged for "Dr Scholl's"? The clue asked for "this doctor", and the doctor's name was just "Scholl". Or is there a precedent for allowing the possessive in cases like this?
Probably should have been negged, though as I recall Alex had already accepted the response before J hesitantly added the s. It seems they're ever more lenient about things like this.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 am Does anybody else think Jonathan should have been negged for "Dr Scholl's"? The clue asked for "this doctor", and the doctor's name was just "Scholl". Or is there a precedent for allowing the possessive in cases like this?
Definitely should have been negged, but he had enough bad luck without it, so I'm fine counting it as "time served".