Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RobW wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:53 pm
mrparadise wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:26 pm
I can't think of another FJ cat that would lend itself so well to using the intermission to mentally (or even writing down) the whole damn 26 likely responses.
Ain't that the truth! In light of this, it seems a safe assumption that Erin probably didn't just run out of time working through Alfa,Bravo,Charlie... before getting to X-ray. Rather, she probably didn't have that arrow in her quiver at all. :?
I had totally forgotten the category and when I saw it after the break I was thinking "wow, I really should have been thinking about this..." Luckily it didn't matter. When I saw the clue the correct response stood out like metal on an x-ray.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am The FJ! category had me run all 26 to make sure I knew them all. While doing that I tried looking for connections that would make a clue such as tango with foxtrot or charlie & victor. I also told myself during the break to check first five and last five if it was a wide open search.
romeo, juliet

quebec, lima, india
I got sidetracked on "alpha particles" and didn't bother with the rest. Unfortunately, alpha particles were discovered, or at least named, several years after x-rays, and by non-Germans.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 am I watched this episode online after the preempted 2:07 am airing was itself preempted by live coverage of D-Day commemorations in France. Condolences to fellow Angelenos who will wake up to an unpleasant surprise on their DVRs; PM me if you want to find the show. [edit: actually, I should post that elsewhere, since one could be expected to avoid the discussion thread of a game one missed.]
Count me as one of those suffering from the doubly pre-empted episode. With the demise of the reddit guy, I figured I was going to miss this one, so headed here to read the recap.

One might think TPTB at ABC might have planned a bit better. It's not like D-Day commemorations are a surprise or anything. I still think Sony would do well to make episodes available online somewhere, or license the stations that carry the show to put it online, even if it's only for some limited period of time. (Like the Holzhauer final game, which is on YouTube for a couple more days.)
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Lake Placid was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bass, Chitchat, (Van Cliburn), Petronas Towers, Porfirio Diaz

Chitchat a stumper?!?! :shock:

For Jonathan, "Redwall" is by Brian Jacques. :idea:

For Erin, U is the NATO Phonetic Alphabet is Uniform. :idea:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

I'll say this for Emma's FJ strategy; it is marginally better than James'. Betting any more than enough to get to one dollar more than twice second place is unwise, no matter how important certain dates are to you.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 am ...

For Erin, U is the NATO Phonetic Alphabet is Union. :idea:
Source? Uniform is easier for me to recall after I had an umpire mistake in a TD game.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I got caught by "Trading Spaces"

Early 2000s home improvement show hosted by Ty Pennington? Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

I used to work at a provincial park for a summer job and luckily had to use the NATO alphabet when radioing about vehicle licence plates with the wardens.

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 am 58 R (Lake Placid was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bass, Chitchat, (Van Cliburn), Petronas Towers, Porfirio Diaz

Chitchat a stumper?!?! :shock:

For Jonathan, "Redwall" is by Brian Jacques. :idea:

For Erin, U is the NATO Phonetic Alphabet is Union. :idea:
I believe U is actually Uniform.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 am Chitchat a stumper?!?! :shock:
That one stumped me. I think I'd assumed chitchat was hyphenated (chit-chat) and that's what threw me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was pretty sure precedent could be found in the Archive for "Dr. Scholl's" being accepted for the doctor but my search revealed only clues worded to demand the brand name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

To be fair, both references to Scholl in the clue were possessive ("This doctor's original sandals" and "his molefoam padding").
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm I believe U is actually Uniform.
You are correct.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm Erin's guess of Oregon for "Timber' wasn't a bad guess, with the Portland Timbers of MLS (and before that, NASL). :|
I so wanted Jonathan to say "Make this a true daily triple, Alex" at the start of DJ. :geek:
Military alphabet is one of those lists a J! player should know, along with the Presidents, Greek Alphabet, etc. 8-)
looked at scientific discoveries of the era. Thought of quark first, knew that wasn't it, easily switched to x-ray.
I've been looking for ANY contestant to make a comment like that for a long, long time. My favorite would be if a contestant had $200 from getting the first clue of the game, hit the DD on the next clue and said, "I'd like to make this a daily sextuple, Alex".

The most extreme case (and there isn't a name for it, is if a contestant had $1 (because of hitting an earlier DD and wagering an unusual amount) and hit a DD. They could then increase their total by a factor of 200,000 (of course, there really isn't a word for that). I'm purposely ignoring if a contestant has $0 or a negative amount.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm To be fair, both references to Scholl in the clue were possessive ("This doctor's original sandals" and "his molefoam padding").
And I think that was the argument in the case of whatever clue I'm actually thinking of, that turned out not, in fact, to relate to Dr. Scholl's, but probably was similar in asking for someone behind a well-known possessive brand name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

slam wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm Erin's guess of Oregon for "Timber' wasn't a bad guess, with the Portland Timbers of MLS (and before that, NASL). :|
I so wanted Jonathan to say "Make this a true daily triple, Alex" at the start of DJ. :geek:
Military alphabet is one of those lists a J! player should know, along with the Presidents, Greek Alphabet, etc. 8-)
looked at scientific discoveries of the era. Thought of quark first, knew that wasn't it, easily switched to x-ray.
I've been looking for ANY contestant to make a comment like that for a long, long time. My favorite would be if a contestant had $200 from getting the first clue of the game, hit the DD on the next clue and said, "I'd like to make this a daily sextuple, Alex".

The most extreme case (and there isn't a name for it, is if a contestant had $1 (because of hitting an earlier DD and wagering an unusual amount) and hit a DD. They could then increase their total by a factor of 200,000 (of course, there really isn't a word for that). I'm purposely ignoring if a contestant has $0 or a negative amount.
I’m thinking increasing one’s score from $1 to $2001 is only a factor of...2,001. Wouldn’t the score have to be one penny to actually multiple by 200,000? Someone please check my math to make sure I’m not off base.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm To be fair, both references to Scholl in the clue were possessive ("This doctor's original sandals" and "his molefoam padding").
And I think that was the argument in the case of whatever clue I'm actually thinking of, that turned out not, in fact, to relate to Dr. Scholl's, but probably was similar in asking for someone behind a well-known possessive brand name.
Well, there was someone who put an S at the end of "Motley Fool" and got credit (APPS, $1,600).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

slam wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm The most extreme case (and there isn't a name for it, is if a contestant had $1 (because of hitting an earlier DD and wagering an unusual amount) and hit a DD. They could then increase their total by a factor of 200,000 (of course, there really isn't a word for that). I'm purposely ignoring if a contestant has $0 or a negative amount.
"I'd like to make this a Daily Undefined, Alex."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am One might think TPTB at ABC might have planned a bit better. It's not like D-Day commemorations are a surprise or anything. I still think Sony would do well to make episodes available online somewhere, or license the stations that carry the show to put it online, even if it's only for some limited period of time. (Like the Holzhauer final game, which is on YouTube for a couple more days.)
Good thing I downloaded it then! It's fun to have a clean HD copy of the game that doesn't have my local affiliate's logo in the bottom right corner.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 am I got x-ray right away. I'm a licensed radio operator but I use the LAPD phonetic alphabet, not NATO, because I refuse to say whiskey. Kilo is also problematic because of its association with drugs,
Definitely! I also don't like saying Mike for M because of Mike's hard lemonade. And Romeo and Juliett? What were they thinking? Two underage kids having sex and committing suicide? Charlie's another obvious problem. I'm not saying that's anyone's fault. They couldn't have known how poor an example Charlie Sheen would set when they created the alphabet. I'm just saying maybe it's time for a change. How about Cosby?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

My bad, I meant to say Uniform.
Douglas Squasoni
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

polaris wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 am I'll say this for Emma's FJ strategy; it is marginally better than James'. Betting any more than enough to get to one dollar more than twice second place is unwise, no matter how important certain dates are to you.
Venusian or Martian. I think it's okay to bet more in a crush as long as you protect against a $0 wager by the 2nd place player, and a doubled score (if applicable) by 3rd place.