Monday, June 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NEW ENGLAND

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Neighborhoods in this city include Federal Street, Gallows Hill, & Witchcraft Heights

Teagan O’Sullivan: 19300+5901=25201 (Semi-Finalist)
Stephanie Pierson: 7000+6999=13999
Ryan Presler: 12600+6701=19301

Correct response:
Spoiler
Salem

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 2800-2000
Teagan: 8200-2000
Teagan: 9000+1500

Coryats
Teagan: 21400
Stephanie: 9000
Ryan: 12600

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Teagan: 5400
Stephanie: 1400
Ryan: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yay, ten days of seeing The Thinker doing the dab. Makes me laugh every time.

Well, that did not take long. Clue 1 had Teagan give an unexpected response and get negged for it. Ryan rebounded it and later Alex had to give Teagan a correct response as well.

The players raced through the clues and nice job as always by Alex to keep up. My mind and pen were moving quickly as well to stay with the pace.

Tough break for Stephanie on DD1 and definitely bottom box level. I was close but had -matic instead of -nomic. Time will tell if Stephanie's 13999 is enough for a WC. I will be adding a 1992 Teen game later this morning with 8300 (old values) not enough for a wildcard slot.

That FJ! clue should have been 3/3 and the teens did not disappoint. I paid my dues for it years ago as I read Gallows Hill by Lois Duncan.

Using the break to make sure I could recall the states, their capitals and borders quickly, turned out to be unnecessary work. My fear of one of those MONTpelier, VerMONT type clues was not in play today.

Great start to the tournament and easy to see why J! needed a second tournament.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Well, the local kid didn't win it, but he's in it. Glad to see.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO either of those mounts in $600, "ergonomic" recliner, or Aly Raisman.

Also didn't recognize anything in the "Good" category. Not even the voice of Judy Hopps. Doesn't look like she's been in anything else particularly notable, either.

I've never heard of those red-white-and-blue popsicles being called firecrackers. i've always called them Bomb Pops.

Witchcraft = Salem. I expected a triple get.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I suspect this FJ will poll somewhere around 100%. :lol:

Very impressed with Teagan and Ryan, especially considering how young both are. I could barely scrape 50 right playing at home when I was a senior! Best of luck to (hopefully) both of them next week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm Also didn't recognize anything in the "Good" category. Not even the voice of Judy Hopps. Doesn't look like she's been in anything else particularly notable, either.
This time I'm with you. That's the first time I can remember going 0-for-5 in a category where there was something in quotes.
I've never heard of those red-white-and-blue popsicles being called firecrackers. i've always called them Bomb Pops.
Ditto

Instaget FJ. Been to Salem (which, aside from the obvious, has a really good museum in the Peabody Essex), nice place.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm Also didn't recognize anything in the "Good" category. Not even the voice of Judy Hopps. Doesn't look like she's been in anything else particularly notable, either.
This time I'm with you. That's the first time I can remember going 0-for-5 in a category where there was something in quotes.
I felt that way about the Viral Challenges category. Well, I'm familiar with Matilda so I figured that one out, and I've heard of the Mannequin challenge but not of Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd... :roll: :roll: The Charlie challenge??
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I too know of Bomb Pops but not Firecracker brand popsicles.

I got 3/5 in the "GOOD" category--The Good Place, Ginnifer Goodwin, and The Good Dinosaur. For Goodwin I didn't remember the character from Zootopia or that Goodwin had played her. I just recognized her as the actress from Once Upon a Time and knew her name. ZERO chance on "Too Good at Goodbyes" and "Goodbye and Good Riddance". The teens definitely had the upper hand there.

And I must protest that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge does NOT put a period at the end of her signature. Good heavens! She uses a full stop.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm NHO either of those mounts in $600, "ergonomic" recliner, or Aly Raisman.

Also didn't recognize anything in the "Good" category. Not even the voice of Judy Hopps. Doesn't look like she's been in anything else particularly notable, either.

what were the mountains in that clue? i don't recall...i got all of the clues in that category and never heard of most of them...but within the clues there were hints that were pretty easy to come up with the correct response
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

If TPH thinks an actor isn't notable, that's a sign that they're notable: Ginnifer Goodwin was one of the wives on "Big Love," and was then Snow White on the surprisingly long-lived "Once Upon a Time." But I remember her best from "Ed," where she played the girl Justin Long's character should have been romancing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:29 pm
If TPH thinks an actor isn't notable, that's a sign that they're notable: Ginnifer Goodwin was one of the wives on "Big Love," and was then Snow White on the surprisingly long-lived "Once Upon a Time." But I remember her best from "Ed," where she played the girl Justin Long's character should have been romancing.
Yeah, and I recognize literally nothing in your post.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Congrats to Teagan for her victory. All three teens did very well today, and I hope Ryan will still make it into the semifinals as his performance was very good as well.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I feel as though the WOF puzzle constructors should lurk here, if only to troll TPH every so often by turning his NHOs into puzzles.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm NHO either of those mounts in $600, "ergonomic" recliner, or Aly Raisman.

what were the mountains in that clue?
Parnassus and Helicon. Just about everyone other than TPH would recognize them as Greek names whether or not they've actually heard of those specific mountains.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Just a couple hours before we watched this J! episode, my daughter and I leafed through a "Short Hairstyles" magazine as we discussed a summer haircut. When we encountered the full-page feature on Ginnifer's notable pixie hairdo, I pointed out that "this lady is the the voice of that rabbit police officer in Zootopia." It was hilarious to exchange smirks when that clue came up later.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 pm
Yeah, and I recognize literally nothing in your post.
I know there's another thread for this, but maybe I can help you out a little bit. Snow White was this pretty girl who lived with seven short dudes in the woods (it was totally platonic, though). She ended up bailing on them and moving in with a good-looking rich guy (with whom I assume things were not platonic). Good story.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Aly Raisman and Goodbye and Good Riddance.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vicuna, (Ergonomic), (Oedipus), Firecracker, Banyan
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm

what were the mountains in that clue?
Parnassus and Helicon. Just about everyone other than TPH would recognize them as Greek names whether or not they've actually heard of those specific mountains.

indeed...seemed pretty greek to me