Thursday, July 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ON BROADWAY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This play opens in Vienna in 1823, 32 years after the death of its title character

Charlie Jorgenson: 14800+10001=24801
Wendy Foster: 12400+12400=24800
Ryan Bilger: 34600+50=34650 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Amadeus

Daily Doubles
Wendy: 1400+1400
Ryan: 5200+5200
Ryan: 16400+7000

Coryats
Charlie: 14800
Wendy: 12000
Ryan: 25200

Combined: 52,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Charlie: 6000
Wendy: 7200
Ryan: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! round total added up to 18400, more than the board values thanks to Wendy getting 1400 on the DD in the bottom box. That means it was a perfect round.

The great play by the contestants continued in the DJ! round to finish with a fantastic 52,000 combined Coryat.

Ryan trailed to start the DJ! round though not for long as his opening pick was DD2. After the double-up he was in the lead and ready to take-off towards the runaway.

The FJ! clue was what I needed to get off the schneid for the week. Ryan's $50 wager indicated ON BROADWAY may not be his strength while the connect the dots for the clue was something he could handle.

The Jeopardy Fan! has the stats already and 23R by Ryan is very good though nothing outstanding. Finding both DDs 2 & 3 paid off nicely for 12200 to the good although any player (just ask James Holzhauer) cannot count on finding them each game.

More important for Ryan's possible future success is that game's worth of experience coupled with having dispensed two quite capable opponents.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

My reaction to the category: "oh s%!#". So of course they give us a holiday softball: Austria, title character's death, 1823 - 32 = 1791 -> Mozart -> Amadeus, done.

A game filled with good DD wagers. Maybe there is hope.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 pm My reaction to the category: "oh s%!#". So of course they give us a holiday softball: Austria, title character's death, 1823 - 32 = 1791 -> Mozart -> Amadeus, done.
Ditto
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This is the second straight 4th of July with a high Coryat game. Last year was that exciting competition between three evenly matched female competitors with the Crosby, Stills and Nash triple solve.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 pm My reaction to the category: "oh s%!#". So of course they give us a holiday softball: Austria, title character's death, 1823 - 32 = 1791 -> Mozart -> Amadeus, done.

Ryan here, that was my reaction too! Hence my small FJ wager. But I had told myself going in that if I hit a DD and was at all confident in the category, I’d be going big, and I’m just glad I was able to execute it!
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $32,000

43 R (2 DDs), 3 W
Lach Trash, for what little there was: Match Game of Thrones

FJ—Yes. This was an instaget. 1823+Vienna+32 years after death=Mozart, Mozart+Broadway=Amadeus. Better than the three finals I've missed so far this week.

What an incredible game, well done by all three players, Ryan especially. But IMO, bad move to admit a weakness in any category to your incoming opponents.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Shaquebanisa wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:50 pm
But IMO, bad move to admit a weakness in any category to your incoming opponents.
It is almost impossible that this could be consequential. There is only one match left in the taping day - it is guaranteed they will not go there in FJ again the next day. By next week, all new contestants, clueless to his "weakness". On a larger scale, I don't see how knowledge about an opponents strengths/weakness can be weaponized in regular game play. It MIGHT help you decide on a cover wager if you think they hate it so bad they won't cover the double up from second. (I think this describes the main opening)

I saw 1823 minus some years and a Broadway play and went for Hamilton. Doing the math to 1791 was enough to know I was screwed. I was in Mozart's home in Salzburg last September, but don't have the DOD imprinted, and probably won't again. For that matter, I don't think I knew Amadeus was a play.

Ryan is good. I give up predicting who will go far, I thought Charlie would make 4 games at least.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:19 am
But IMO, bad move to admit a weakness in any category to your incoming opponents.
It is almost impossible that this could be consequential. There is only one match left in the taping day - it is guaranteed they will not go there in FJ again the next day. By next week, all new contestants, clueless to his "weakness". On a larger scale, I don't see how knowledge about an opponents strengths/weakness can be weaponized in regular game play. It MIGHT help you decide on a cover wager if you think they hate it so bad they won't cover the double up from second. (I think this describes the main opening)

I saw 1823 minus some years and a Broadway play and went for Hamilton. Doing the math to 1791 was enough to know I was screwed. I was in Mozart's home in Salzburg last September, but don't have the DOD imprinted, and probably won't again. For that matter, I don't think I knew Amadeus was a play.

Ryan is good. I give up predicting who will go far, I thought Charlie would make 4 games at least.
You're right. I was overthinking on that one.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Wow, that was some great game playing by Ryan! I'm glad to see we finally we have a great post-James contestant making gutsy wagers (with the obvious exception of his FJ wager, but even then he had the game locked up regardless and it's understandable that he didn't want to throw it away, especially since the category was one that he admitted wasn't his forte).

The 2-day returning champ Charlie and Wendy also played very well as well. Tough break for them having to go against such a brilliant player. Hopefully Ryan lasts a little longer, he seems like the type of player that could be TOC material if he continues to play like how he did today!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:19 am
It is almost impossible that this could be consequential. There is only one match left in the taping day - it is guaranteed they will not go there in FJ again the next day. By next week, all new contestants, clueless to his "weakness".
I assume they are still keeping some spare players around. As a local, I didn't play my first tape day but was immediately invited back for the next one. So I would have had comparable information in those circumstances. --Bob
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Ryan here, that was my reaction too! Hence my small FJ wager. But I had told myself going in that if I hit a DD and was at all confident in the category, I’d be going big, and I’m just glad I was able to execute it!
Welcome to the board Ryan, and congrats on an impressive win! Nice work playing the DDs to perfection; you seemed very comfortable with the several academic-leaning clues/categories in DJ (I saw on Reddit you're a quiz bowler, right?)

I hope you stick around and provide more insights during the rest of your run, be it 1 or 74 more days! :lol: Excited to watch tonight's game.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

threearruda wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 am
Welcome to the board Ryan, and congrats on an impressive win! Nice work playing the DDs to perfection; you seemed very comfortable with the several academic-leaning clues/categories in DJ (I saw on Reddit you're a quiz bowler, right?)

I hope you stick around and provide more insights during the rest of your run, be it 1 or 74 more days! :lol: Excited to watch tonight's game.
Yep, you've got it. Played quiz bowl for 3 years in high school, then founded the team at Gettysburg College and played there for the last four years! Thanks very much for the support!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Nice work! It's easy to notice in the comfort of your home that small DD wagers often come back to bite the contestants who make them. It's another thing entirely to make use of that information when the time comes. Good on you for not chickening out.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Before & After on the Tube.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Match Game of Thrones

Wendy's Daughter: "You lost Mommy!"
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never knew amadeus was a broadway production
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm never knew amadeus was a broadway production
It's not just a Broadway production, (opened in London first) it's brilliant theatre. It came out several years before the movie, and...well, people can wiki it if they're interested, (below) I'm just a big fan of the play.

I'll give the movie credit - they really only augmented the genius of the production, didn't overdo it. And of course the big scenes were fully portrayed in ways theater can't afford. Milos Foreman (movie director) was a genius in his own right, and he knew what to do with the script. But Peter Shaeffer wrote what has to be a top 10 play of the 20th Century, a dual character study of the curse and blessing of musical genius, jealousy, class and manners, and deadly rivalry.

Sorry, I do go on. But it was a life-changing experience to see it in 1981. If you get the chance, with a good theatre company production, I can't recommend it highly enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus
Pending...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:17 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm never knew amadeus was a broadway production
It's not just a Broadway production, (opened in London first) it's brilliant theatre. It came out several years before the movie, and...well, people can wiki it if they're interested, (below) I'm just a big fan of the play.

I'll give the movie credit - they really only augmented the genius of the production, didn't overdo it. And of course the big scenes were fully portrayed in ways theater can't afford. Milos Foreman (movie director) was a genius in his own right, and he knew what to do with the script. But Peter Shaeffer wrote what has to be a top 10 play of the 20th Century, a dual character study of the curse and blessing of musical genius, jealousy, class and manners, and deadly rivalry.

Sorry, I do go on. But it was a life-changing experience to see it in 1981. If you get the chance, with a good theatre company production, I can't recommend it highly enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus
Like Casket, I probably would've got this had they mentioned it was a movie. Guessed Faust just to have something.