Tuesday, July 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT TIMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1955 King Paul of Greece unveiled a statue of this hero near the cliffs where he died in the 5th century B.C.

Ryan Bilger: 17600-7201=10399 (4x = $107,049)
Hannah Safford: 8800-0=8800
Kevin: Paquette: 12400-5201=7199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Leonidas (Ryan – Achilles) (Hannah – Agamemmnon) (Kevin – Achilles)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 6600+1000
Hannah: 10400-2000
Ryan: 7000+7000

Coryats
Ryan: 11800
Hannah: 10800
Kevin: 12400

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 1000
Hannah: minus 400
Kevin: 7600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kevin has several spots in the game to revisit. 6600+1000 on DD1 left money on the table. Losing $2000 on clue 30 of the DJ! round changed the dynamics for the FJ! round wagering to benefit Ryan.

Ryan had a very rough game as The Jeopardy! Fan has the numbers as 16R and 5W. With the 11800 Coryat that is not the easiest path to victory. Ryan saved himself in PICTURE IN PICTURE.

Scoreboard at the time the category began:
Kevin: 14400
Hannah: 8400
Ryan: 6200

$400 - Hannah
$800 - Ryan
$1200 - Ryan DD for +7000
$1600 - Ryan
$2000 - Ryan

That's $11400 in four clues.

The FJ! clues was a miss for me joining the gentlemen for their guess. The solve was not going to happen as I crossed out Jason, started to write Pericles in mixing him up with Perseus, considered Theseus and cannot be sure I would have recalled Leonidas even with a Thermopylae hint.

Great move up the tracker by Ryan to leapfrog the other 4x champs.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Congrats on Ryan for his 4th win, and I hope he wins his fifth game tomorrow. Considering his gutsy wagers on Daily Doubles, I wonder how he would match up against James Holzhauer, assuming Ryan wins his 5th game and is likely guaranteed a spot in the ToC.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:41 am Congrats on Ryan for his 4th win, and I hope he wins his fifth game tomorrow. Considering his gutsy wagers on Daily Doubles, I wonder how he would match up against James Holzhauer, assuming Ryan wins his 5th game and is likely guaranteed a spot in the ToC.
I too have enjoyed watching Ryan play.

"Gutsy" (actually, rational) wagering on DD's wasn't the principal reason for James's 32-win run, although it helped him rack up his ridiculous scores.

My hot take (based admittedly on just 4 games so far) is that while Ryan looks like a gold so far (in MarkBarrett's system of assigning gold, silver, or bronze to TOC'ers), and while Emma Boettcher proved anything can happen in one game if an opponent finds and exploits the DD's, Ryan isn't anywhere near as dominant on the buzzer as James; and his knowledge base, while stellar, is a tier below James's. James blows away Ryan in Coryat, and controlling the board is a factor in landing on DD's even when everyone's hunting for them. Also, the luck factor of hitting DD's would be diminished if Ryan meets James in a 2-day final as opposed to semis. IMO Ryan would be a heavy underdog against James, which isn't to say that upsets don't happen.

ETA: And I mean everyone in the TOC field - including people like Josh Hill, who have had a lot of time to prepare - will have seen James's run and can be expected to try to make adjustments based on James's playing style. Ryan won't be the only player besides James who's hunting for DD's and wagering big on them.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yesterday I imagined a certain comic strongly voicing his outrage after a TS. Today, it's this:
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That was some serious negbait on the NC/SC clue. If you're leading off with Marlboro, it'd better be NC.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:16 am and cannot be sure I would have recalled Leonidas even with a Thermopylae hint.
Once he said the battle, I knew it was Leonidas. My guess was Ajax.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I said Achilles because Greek + hero. The TOM of cliffs meant nothing to me. Even if spotted Thermopylae, I doubt I would have gotten Leonides.
Teems with quiet fun.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

300 is bad history, but made this FJ easy.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

It took me a few seconds to put the pieces together, but I got Leonidas without much difficulty. I don't understand all the guesses of mythical people when we were given a date of death in historical times.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 pm It took me a few seconds to put the pieces together, but I got Leonidas without much difficulty. I don't understand all the guesses of mythical people when we were given a date of death in historical times.
While Leonidas was an instaget for me, I understand he may be obscure to many. But yes, all wrong guesses, both on the show and in this thread so far, are mythical (except Pericles, which is actually quite sensible, but apparently not intended). I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alexander as their wrong answer.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Hannah's FJ wager was giving up on any chance of victory. That's a move I can't ever understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

7 final jeopardy clues in a row missed...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

only leonidas i have heard of is a filipino poker player (toto) with that as his surname
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

gnash wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:12 pm
Foretopman wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 pm It took me a few seconds to put the pieces together, but I got Leonidas without much difficulty. I don't understand all the guesses of mythical people when we were given a date of death in historical times.
While Leonidas was an instaget for me, I understand he may be obscure to many. But yes, all wrong guesses, both on the show and in this thread so far, are mythical (except Pericles, which is actually quite sensible, but apparently not intended). I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alexander as their wrong answer.
(dutifully raises hand)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:21 pm only leonidas i have heard of is a filipino poker player (toto) with that as his surname
There's also Leonidas of Rhodes, hero of four Olympic meetings.

Pheidippides was the only other name that came to my mind, but he was at best a border-line hero and Marathon was a plain.

Yes, a sad bet from third place.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Wow, what a game! Ryan had some really tough competition today in both Hannah and Kevin, and I thought at first that his luck was gonna run out today with how much Kevin was dominating the game at the start. But alas, he came back in Double Jeopardy, made a late TDD, and managed to once again hold the lead coming into FJ.

I would never have gotten the FJ clue in a million years, so I'm not surprised all 3 players missed it. It seemed like quite a tough one.

Nevertheless, despite Ryan having a harder time than usual this go around, he held his title today with the triple stumper, and is now a 4-day champ with over $100K! Great job, Ryan! Let's all hope you win tomorrow so that your spot in the TOC is guaranteed. I'm rooting for you, man!
davey

Post by davey »

I only knew enough about this FJ not to guess a mythical figure...if I had, I would have gone with Icarus...maybe not a hero, but he I believe he did die near some cliffs... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 pm
gnash wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:12 pm
(dutifully raises hand)
Make that two for Alexander, with a ton of doubt whether he was Macedonian, or Greek, or both. I could only come up with Xerxes when Alex gave the extra hint and don't believe I've sat through the "300" movie. I somewhat question whether these characters are any more real than the mythological ones.

Sorry, Kevin and Hannah :cry: . It was there with two categories and two DD's left if you don't start at the top to keep Ryan off of the DD's. Credit to Ryan - I don't know how he knew those artists, and his get on the Myanmar gynocrat (did I learn this term today?) was impressive.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.