Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BESTSELLING NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & “five members of Opus Dei”

Ryan Bilger: 19000+4300=23300
Sam Kavanaugh: 23200+14801=38001 (New Champ)
Margaret Hamilton: 3600+3000=6600

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Da Vinci Code

Daily Doubles
Sam: 5000+5000
Sam: 12200+6000
Sam: 19000+5000

Coryats
Ryan: 19000
Sam: 11200
Margaret: 3600

Combined: 33,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 8200
Sam: 10200
Margaret: 2000
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Instaget FJ! Hi Mark!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's hard to overcome +$16000 on DDs and Sam used that advantage to have the lead for the FJ! round on a triple solve clue.

Ryan played much better today getting 19000 without the aid of DDs.

Alex at chat time to Margaret Hamilton: I will not do the obvious and dwell on your name.

It's another for the J! contestant name matching a famous name list.

The FJ! clue was one to make me happy to have the title on insta-recall for a change as over the years in regular clues I have blanked more than once when going for the title.

I guarantee this clue will poll higher than the ones on Monday & Tuesday of this week.

Ryan's defeat seemed to be in the cards ahead of the game with that timing of TOC field announcement. More than a year and perhaps even another year after that is a lot of time for Ryan to get prepped to return even stronger. There is no law against learning non-academic stuff and gaining a little love for the pop culture stuff. Ryan acted like the Emmy category was below his dignity.

The scoreboard says great debut by Sam (23200+14801) while the 11200 Coryat says calm down.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

Hey all, Sam here! I want to congratulate Ryan and Margaret for a great game, based on all of our interactions I think that I was probably the third most knowledgeable person up there. My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)

Overall, it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Everyone at Jeopardy! is great at their jobs, and genuinely seems to love working there. Being in the greenroom with 15 other contestants is similarly fantastic: even though we were all sizing each other up and getting into competitive headspaces, we still had some great conversations that showed what an exceptionally curious, smart, and joyful group Jeopardy! contestants really are.

Also, I missed the shuttle van from the hotel due to a miscommunication, so shout-out to my uber driver who (lawfully) drove like Mario Andretti to get me to the studio on time.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am Alex at chat time to Margaret Hamilton: I will not do the obvious and dwell on your name.

Don't forget about John Ferraro! His game isn't in yet, but he's got the same name as the husband of the 1984 Democratic Party Vice Presidential can,fhfhskfmg. Oops, gotta go.

What the heck? Guys, I think John Ferraro hacked my account.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am Alex at chat time to Margaret Hamilton: I will not do the obvious and dwell on your name.

Don't forget about John Ferraro! His game isn't in yet, but he's got the same name as the husband of the 1984 Democratic Party Vice Presidential can,fhfhskfmg. Oops, gotta go.

Actually, Geraldine Ferraro's husband was John Zaccaro.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Actually, Geraldine Ferraro's husband was John Zaccaro.
That tricky son-of-a-gun!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats, Sam, and great run, Ryan!
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Curious if the contestants were given any instructions re. the last category in the J! round.... :lol:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Carpe Diem wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm Curious if the contestants were given any instructions re. the last category in the J! round.... :lol:
Why would the album covers category have required special instructions?

BTW, it was surprising to see the DD in that category.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 pm
Carpe Diem wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm Curious if the contestants were given any instructions re. the last category in the J! round.... :lol:

Try a little less world-traveling and a little more TV watching? Especially late on Saturdays. ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am I guarantee this clue will poll higher than the ones on Monday & Tuesday of this week.
No bet. But which side of the wager do you take if someone offers even odds on it polling higher/lower than both clues combined?
Spoiler
Everyone remember to use spoiler tags if you want to get specific about those two clues.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Good game all around. Near-instaget FJ for me.

Congrats Sam!! I like the mustache. :) Thanks for sharing those behind the scenes stories, yay Uber guy! Nice work playing those DDs to perfection and for landing a big payday. I hope game #2 goes better for you in terms of finding buzzer mojo. With your accuracy, board hopping and betting tendencies on the DDs today, a slightly better showing on the buzzer tomorrow (or beyond) could go a long way.

Congrats Ryan as well for a great run. Got to be a little worrisome now with a long wait forthcoming on the ToC bubble, but I hope your name gets called for ToC play eventually. You will have definitely earned it. Lots of time to prepare too, so good luck in that regard!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

such an easy final jeopardy clue that even i got it right, snapping a 7 game streak with a wrong answer
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am It's hard to overcome +$16000 on DDs and Sam used that advantage to have the lead for the FJ! round on a triple solve clue.

Ryan played much better today getting 19000 without the aid of DDs.

Alex at chat time to Margaret Hamilton: I will not do the obvious and dwell on your name.

The FJ! clue was one to make me happy to have the title on insta-recall for a change as over the years in regular clues I have blanked more than once when going for the title.

I guarantee this clue will poll higher than the ones on Monday & Tuesday of this week.

Ryan's defeat seemed to be in the cards ahead of the game with that timing of TOC field announcement. More than a year and perhaps even another year after that is a lot of time for Ryan to get prepped to return even stronger. There is no law against learning non-academic stuff and gaining a little love for the pop culture stuff. Ryan acted like the Emmy category was below his dignity.

The scoreboard says great debut by Sam (23200+14801) while the 11200 Coryat says calm down.
there is a famous margaret hamilton? never heard of her
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

skrambler wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am Hey all, Sam here! I want to congratulate Ryan and Margaret for a great game, based on all of our interactions I think that I was probably the third most knowledgeable person up there. My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)
Congratulations! I enjoy seeing good wagering pay off.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 pm

In one of the SNL skits, the characters in ANALBUMCOVER were parsed slightly differently.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.