2019 TOC Updates

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: 2019 TOC Updates

Post by Ironhorse »

They aren't screwed out of a slot any more than Tim Kutz was in 2017. If you don't win five games, you simply don't automatically qualify.

I totally understand the show making the cut off immediately. They want to capitalize on James before he fades from the public's memory, and the fact that three of the last four in are female can't hurt, either. I personally wouldn't have included Emma but I am by no means upset about the decision. Her inclusion is easier to explain than any other leapfrogging (i.e. my earlier suggestion of Jackie).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 pm Further ruminations:

1. The point about deferred eligibility makes it sound like no one's getting bumped, but that's nonsense. If they're not bumping someone from this pool, that just means they're bumping someone from the next. You can't add in a non-eligible player and not have it affect someone who would otherwise be eligible at some point.
I read that simply to account for any potential five game winners between now and the tournament (which could become relevant as soon as tonight. I have not watched today's episode).

Should Ryan win tonight, the announcement would have been more awkward, so for the sake of Emma and Lindsay, I am glad for the timing (assuming he does win).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 pm
jev15 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am I don't like this. It feels contrary to the spirit of the tournament.
Me either. I'd be absolutely pissed if I was a four-time champ but got passed over because they decided to choose giant killer Emma. It's an indefensible* move as far as I'm concerned.
MarkBarrett wrote:The bunch of other four-time champs were not going to make the TOC anyway so they were not cheated out of anything
Not sure how you can say that. Seems to me at least one four-time champ got cheated out of their deserved spot. So did they not even select from the four-time champs based on their total winnings? I don't understand why they would do this.

* well, OK, the defense is the show can do whatever they want, but it cheapens the tournament in my eyes.
Truth be told, somewhere around .0000001% of the show's audience knows or cares anything about this. In fact, it's probably the other way around; a lot of them might be excited about the Emma rematch as opposed to seeing someone they barely remember. It's all about the ratings, people.

And I don't think anyone is blaming Emma in any of this.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 pm Further ruminations:

1. The point about deferred eligibility makes it sound like no one's getting bumped, but that's nonsense. If they're not bumping someone from this pool, that just means they're bumping someone from the next. You can't add in a non-eligible player and not have it affect someone who would otherwise be eligible at some point.
Well if the next ToC after 2019 somehow ends up with exactly 15 qualifiers who won at least 3 games in regular play plus the qualifying tournaments (and that 15 would have to include anyone who gets bumped from the 2019 tournament who would have qualified) then it's possible that no one who should have qualified would lose a spot. But that would be highly unlikely to happen even if TPTB decide to hold the ToC after next in say...September of 2020.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I hope James wins it all and that the producers save the possible Emma vs. James rematch for the finals or even the semifinals. And what are the odds of James winning the ToC vs the other 14 contestants based on how we saw them play?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 pm
Truth be told, somewhere around .0000001% of the show's audience knows or cares anything about this. In fact, it's probably the other way around; a lot of them might be excited about the Emma rematch as opposed to seeing someone they barely remember. It's all about the ratings, people.
Good point. James's losing episode was reportedly the highest rated episode in 15 years, and TPTB put the episode on YouTube, so there are likely many potential viewers who will have only ever seen James and Emma play (out of this field). That has to be at least a few more viewers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Is this the earliest we've ever learned of the ToC field? I think in most years we don't officially hear about the field until very close to the airdates.

While feeling bad for whoever got bumped, thrilled that we'll get to see Emma back behind the lecterns.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Well I've been wondering about this for a while.

I guess I'll start with my hot take: The producers made a solid decision with putting Emma in and I'm thrilled about it, and I don't really think most of the 4-time winners who she leapfrogged over were really screwed. They weren't going to qualify for 2019 regardless, and they also hadn't beaten her money amount of $97k. I never really believed that people deserved a spot over other players simply for winning more games.

The only player who really got screwed imo is Dave Leffler, for he won more money and games than Emma.

7/10 Spoiler
Spoiler
Ryan losing today just carries him over to the next ToC since it's the cutoff, so I'm not concerned about that. I would say put Dave in and the rest is history.
Looking forward to the 2019 tournament, lots of great players here.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well whoever's spot she took better be locked into the next ToC then.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

Well now that tonight's result is in the books, I can answer a question people have been asking, but will spoiler tag it nonetheless.
Spoiler
I'm the alternate for this year's TOC. If I don't get on this time, I'll be brought back when they run the tournament the next time. Honestly, I'd say it's a pretty good deal!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pmnow that tonight's result is in the books...
Very cool. And--that ought to be the end of any qualms and cavils, right?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm Well now that tonight's result is in the books, I can answer a question people have been asking, but will spoiler tag it nonetheless.
Spoiler
I'm the alternate for this year's TOC. If I don't get on this time, I'll be brought back when they run the tournament the next time. Honestly, I'd say it's a pretty good deal!
Spoiler
Sweet! So you probably won't have to go up against Holzhauer. I imagine you're a little relieved but also a little disappointed that you won't get to see how you'd do against him. That's the way I'd have felt at 21 anyway.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 pm
jev15 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am I don't like this. It feels contrary to the spirit of the tournament.
Me either. I'd be absolutely pissed if I was a four-time champ but got passed over because they decided to choose giant killer Emma. It's an indefensible* move as far as I'm concerned.
MarkBarrett wrote:The bunch of other four-time champs were not going to make the TOC anyway so they were not cheated out of anything
Not sure how you can say that. Seems to me at least one four-time champ got cheated out of their deserved spot. So did they not even select from the four-time champs based on their total winnings? I don't understand why they would do this.

* well, OK, the defense is the show can do whatever they want, but it cheapens the tournament in my eyes.

And I don't think anyone is blaming Emma in any of this.
Well, I understand why they'd do it, but I also think it should annoy anyone who views and values Jeopardy! as a competition.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm Well now that tonight's result is in the books, I can answer a question people have been asking, but will spoiler tag it nonetheless.
Spoiler
7/10 Spoiler:
Spoiler
Well, that's good news! I'm glad they're acknowledging your great 4-day run by making this offer. Hope to see you in the next TOC if you don't make this one.
Anyway, in regards to the field, this is VERY exciting! I'm so happy to see my man James Holzhauer play again, and I also cannot wait for a potential James-Emma rematch! That being said, I'm wishing good luck to the other champs as well. Hopefully they can hold their own even with the tougher questions this go around!
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Spoiler
7/10 Spoiler:
Spoiler
Awesome!! Glad to hear you earned a ToC berth regardless. Do you happen to know anything about Dave Leffler being invited back for the next tournament or not?
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This is disappointing, hasn't the ToC always been a pure meritocracy? I don't remember Nancy Zerg appearing.

I am reminded of Michelle Wie continually getting sponsor's exemptions into PGA Tour and Korn Ferry Tour events as a teenager. Taking a spot from a much more deserving player who actually could have used that exemption to springboard their career.

Did I count 11 men and 4 women? Had James' ouster been a man who won 3 games, would he have been invited leaving only 3 women in the ToC?

Of course it's their game, their rules. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. And while I respect Emma's game, and don't fault her for accepting the invite, I fear this will affect my rooting interest.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Hmm. I like Emma and am interested to see how this plays out, and I recognize that TPTB have every right to include her, but the inclusion of a 3x winner over 4x winners (including one with more dollar winnings) just makes me uncomfortable. (Independently, I am happy about the announcement that was posted under a spoiler bar, both with respect to what I prefer to watch and what I think is fair.)

While I like many of the players in the field, I think I will have to root for Josh Hill because I was in the studio audience for his first three games.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just a reminder, people: do NOT post anything that can be construed to be a spoiler in a non-spoiler thread without marking the spoiler. I've edited several posts in here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 am Insert eye rolls as appropriate:

https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-tourn ... eQzCnflZ5Y
The headline is misleading, but that's Newsweek's level of "journalism" for you. One idiot tweeter wondered why Ken won't be in the TOC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide