LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by teapot37 »

From a 1985 installment of Bechdel's strip Dykes To Watch Out For called "The Rule":

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The Bechdel test sounds vaguely familiar. I am not the best person to judge its difficulty since that is a weak area of mine, but I am still shocked that it played easier than Rocky. I really thought that Rocky would have around an 80% get rate. Heck, there was a question on antagonists from the Rocky series just a few seasons ago.

I used to love Taco Bell, so that one was easy for me, but that seems like such an odd thing to have a trivia question on.

I had never heard of the music term, but it was my only miss other than Bechdel. I am temporarily out of the relegation zone!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Only missed the musical term, but boy was my defense bad. It's always annoying to lose a match while getting more answers correct. How my opponent didn't know the Taco Bell menu I'll never know, but I guess some people are lucky enough to be able to cook at home on a daily basis.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I eat Taco Bell all the time and I almost missed the Bell Grande one (did they accept it? I wrote it as two words). No idea how I had a brain lock there.

Bechdel test was a random get from TV Tropes
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Nachos Bell Grande was accepted.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm Nachos Bell Grande was accepted.
Nachos Bechdel Grande was not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am I thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Oddly, I thought it was the easiest one so far. I got 5 right (missed the last one. Only ever heard of basso profundo, so ...). I listen to a lot of TV podcasts, so the Bechdel test comes up quite a bit. Nobunaga I got from computer gaming (Nobunaga's Ambition, Total War, Civ V). Not sure why I knew Stallone, but it just seems to have stuck in my head.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am I thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Oddly, I thought it was the easiest one so far. I got 5 right (missed the last one. Only ever heard of basso profundo, so ...). I listen to a lot of TV podcasts, so the Bechdel test comes up quite a bit. Nobunaga I got from computer gaming (Nobunaga's Ambition, Total War, Civ V). Not sure why I knew Stallone, but it just seems to have stuck in my head.
the years named was how I got Stallone
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I suspect the reason for the high correct answer level for Bechdel was that she was an answer on HQ trivia the night before. I wouldn’t have remembered her for any other reason.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 amI thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Agreed. I felt bad about getting only 3 right (narrowly missed the Taco Bell one) but then saw that Reddpen, my opponent for the day, had an even tougher time.
Put Thailand for Singapore, which in hindsight was dumb because I think it shares a long border with Malaysia so no need for a bridge. For the Oscars Q, I thought of Rocky but figured if Stallone had been nominated for acting in 2015 I'd remember. I mean, the guy isn't exactly renowned for his acting chops, right? So I dredged up another cast member from the 1976 film: Talia Shire.

Assigning 1 point to the basso Q looks pretty obtuse now, but I thought profundo had a shot. At least you didn't know Bechdel, even though it played easiest for the day.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had a vague feeling that Cathy Guisewite had come up sort of recently, but oh well. I wasn't going to get Bechdel or really any of the other three I missed (all but Singapore and Rocky). I was a bit uncomfortable about the latter due to the usual Oscars where-do-we-measure-from questions, but luckily I had nothing else. I was proud to come up with a real Taco Bell word (gordita), and also a real Italian word (profundo).
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

reddpen wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 amI thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Agreed. I felt bad about getting only 3 right (narrowly missed the Taco Bell one) but then saw that Reddpen, my opponent for the day, had an even tougher time.
Put Thailand for Singapore, which in hindsight was dumb because I think it shares a long border with Malaysia so no need for a bridge. For the Oscars Q, I thought of Rocky but figured if Stallone had been nominated for acting in 2015 I'd remember. I mean, the guy isn't exactly renowned for his acting chops, right? So I dredged up another cast member from the 1976 film: Talia Shire.

Assigning 1 point to the basso Q looks pretty obtuse now, but I thought profundo had a shot. At least you didn't know Bechdel, even though it played easiest for the day.
Gotta admit I now remember fighting with myself on picking Creed vs. Rocky
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm I suspect the reason for the high correct answer level for Bechdel was that she was an answer on HQ trivia the night before. I wouldn’t have remembered her for any other reason.
Not for me; it's an increasingly well-known fact.

I put continuo for the basso question, but still managed to win.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I appreciate all the replies addressing my confusion :? over the apparent ease of the Bechdel question. ;)
ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 pm I put continuo for the basso question, but still managed to win.
I said "continuo" too, which I didn't think was the answer being sought, but it's actually not that different, perhaps not as specific to the form as "ostinato".
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Name any one of the three men who filled the television role that has been filled, since 2001, by Marilyn Milian

didn't recognize the name, went with This Old House

Seeing the MCWA...how quickly people forget Connie Chung and Katie Couric
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am Name any one of the three men who filled the television role that has been filled, since 2001, by Marilyn Milian

I went with Jim Henson, hoping it was going to be a voice on Sesame Street. Really, you could have spotted me all the names except Wapner and I still wouldn’t have known the question was about the People’s Court.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am Name any one of the three men who filled the television role that has been filled, since 2001, by Marilyn Milian

I went with Jim Henson, hoping it was going to be a voice on Sesame Street. Really, you could have spotted me all the names except Wapner and I still wouldn’t have known the question was about the People’s Court.
My opponent gave me a 3 for it and I'm insulted as I could have named all three if needed. There is a reason I have .827 for Television.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I wrongly assumed "role" was pointing toward a scripted show and said Jerry Orbach.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:22 am I wrongly assumed "role" was pointing toward a scripted show and said Jerry Orbach.
You think those shows aren't scripted?!!?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got credit for "Near Earth Object" which I totally should have. Didn't matter since the Vermonter poured beer all over my head anyway.