LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Was in 1st place yesterday. Dropped to 2nd after losing yesterday's match day, and everyone in the top 4 is within 1 point of each other. I've never been promoted to C before, and I just don't want to choke this away.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:32 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 am Trying not to make my stay in A rundle a 1-season one, I'm in 25th (one above the relegation zone) and tied in points with the person in 26th, over whom I hold a 3-point edge in MPD. She's the only person who can knock me into the relegation zone. So it all comes down to MD 25!

Note: the 26th-place player has 6 forfeits, although she just had to show up yesterday and pull a 9(6) to remain even with me in points. I'm curious - since players with more than 3 forfeits in a season "may" be forced to sit out the following season (per Rule 19.3) - 2 queries: how often is that rule enforced? And if it's enforced against my rundle-mate, would I remain in A even if I slip behind her today into 26th, since she wouldn't be returning, or would the extra slot be filled by a ronin or by someone who gets a battlefield promotion from B level?
I think it's always enforced unless there are extenuating circumstances, so the wording is "may".

Just my thought, but I don't see you being relegated so someone could get promoted. I would expect if she lands in non-relegation, she would still be dropped to last place in the rundle by the system due to the number of forfeits, making you in the safe zone.
I don't believe the last part is correct, I think anyone not returning is an issue for next season, and has no bearing on this season's standings. Anyone who ends this season in the relegation zone should be relegated, and yes, it is general practice that an empty spot in A (or any other level) would be filled by elevating someone from the level below, not keeping someone who "would have been" relegated.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lucked out on "leaves". Didn't have the slightest clue what it was, but I was looking at the two titles. Hmmm ... Nothing similar in there. Then I looked at the 2nd title and thought that the middle symbol looked kinda like a leaf. No idea if that's what it actually is but whatever works.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Well I had a low number of correct answers again, but my defense kept me up in A. Whew!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I end the season with a 6(4)-2(2) win and will be staying in C next season!

I really thought that my answer of "doldrums" might be acceptable for trade winds. Oh well.

Chicago was a total guess on my part. I didn't think that the answer was a proper noun, but I couldn't come up with anything that made sense.

Articles of Confederation seemed ridiculously easy, unless it was supposed to test the non-American players. The past few seasons it has felt like the Commish has made the easier questions REALLY easy.

I got Slim only from Whitman. I wasn't sure, but the name sounded familiar.

I had no idea on leaves and guessed pillows, as the Pillow Book was something that I had heard of.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was on the leaderboard for correct answers and for defense in Magnolia. Unfortunately, also the leader for correct answers against, and 2nd place for offensive efficiency (ie. I was defended well).

I'm satisfied that I had one of my best ever seasons for the stuff I can control, but A rundles are a crap shoot, and my 20th place reflects that.

(Plus,I have some quiet grumbling suspicion of our two-time rundle winner. I don't believe the stats.)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Had a strange season, mostly because of who I played and when I played them.

Started out great, near the top of my rundle, then fell just above relegation, then finished strong for an 8th place ending...

Makes me think about the coach of the NY Giants in the 90s who said after a 9-7 season, "if it weren't for that seven-game losing streak, we'd be undefeated."
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Peachbox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:25 am Well I had a low number of correct answers again, but my defense kept me up in A. Whew!
That was my season too. I literally finished one slot above the relegation zone in A Continental. I had the second-fewest TCA out of 30 players (and the only person in my rundle with fewer had 6 forfeits, so I was really the worst in my rundle at responding correctly), but I had the 3rd-best defensive efficiency at .756, which was a personal record in my 30 seasons.

It didn't help that some of my traditional wheelhouse categories like world history played tougher than usual, but them's the breaks.

And LL83 is a clean slate, so Excelsior!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

I did alright this season, but TV questions absolutely destroyed me. Does anyone know of any good, info-dense books about 1950s-1960s television? May leaf through reference books at some point, but I'd prefer something more readable.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:20 am (Plus,I have some quiet grumbling suspicion of our two-time rundle winner. I don't believe the stats.)
Yes, it looks pretty fishy. She must have spent those three forfeit days studying super-duper-hard to improve so much in one season...
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 pm Was in 1st place yesterday. Dropped to 2nd after losing yesterday's match day, and everyone in the top 4 is within 1 point of each other. I've never been promoted to C before, and I just don't want to choke this away.
Lost, but 3rd place lost as well. My buddy in 4th place won, so he's in 2nd, and I'm in 3rd taking the last promotion spot in my D rundle by MPD tiebreaker. First time in C, which is above where I think I should be. Should be fun trying to stay there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I managed to scrape by with 23rd place out of 26th in my rundle. I lost the final day, but the person just below me did too. I lost 6(5)-8(5) with my opponent getting Leaves (3 points), but missing Slim (1 point). He didn't have a great pop music score, but I figured at least a couple of the people mentioned in the clue would have been familiar. Pretty surprised only 41% got that one. I finished with 127 CAA. Can anyone top that?

To add insult to injury my wife and I lost at pub quiz last night after being in first going into the final round (which is always a music round and we usually clean up on). :cry:

edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

shambolic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am I did alright this season, but TV questions absolutely destroyed me. Does anyone know of any good, info-dense books about 1950s-1960s television? May leaf through reference books at some point, but I'd prefer something more readable.
more readable, I don't know of any books for that beyond the reference books. But maybe going through wikipedia for the Nielsen ratings from the years, and reading a little about the popular shows would do it for you.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
Congratulations?

I ended a difficult season for me with a 7(5) - 5(4) win getting all except viceroy. I was a little surprised that trade winds was only 48% and leaves, which me and my 0.175 Lit score was able to puzzle out, was only 19%. What other 1800s poetry collection could it be besides Leaves of Grass? I did have to read the question a couple times to get the hint. On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman? That, and maybe Guitar Slim, was the only one that meant anything to me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman?
Not a one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm
What other 1800s poetry collection could it be besides Leaves of Grass? I did have to read the question a couple times to get the hint.
Wow. I totally didn't catch that the newer reference was potentially in English. I assumed they were both Japanese works. Nice get.

And yeah, Whitman was what clued me in for Slim.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

shambolic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am I did alright this season, but TV questions absolutely destroyed me. Does anyone know of any good, info-dense books about 1950s-1960s television? May leaf through reference books at some point, but I'd prefer something more readable.
The Emmys by Tom O'Neill has a recap of every season, followed by the lists of nominees and winners. (He's also done similar books on the Grammys and Movie Awards. They only run up to the mid-90s though. I don't know if there are newer editions.) I also like the 2 volumes of The TV Theme Song Sing-Along Song Book, by John Javna.

For something a little less reference-y, I seem to recall that The TV Guide TV Book, as seen in this eBay listing, was much more on the readable side. That era of TV has been written about extensively.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm
classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm
What other 1800s poetry collection could it be besides Leaves of Grass? I did have to read the question a couple times to get the hint.
Wow. I totally didn't catch that the newer reference was potentially in English. I assumed they were both Japanese works. Nice get.

And yeah, Whitman was what clued me in for Slim.
Now I want to read Slim Whitman's "Leaves of Grass".
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman?
In my head, I convinced myself I’d heard of Guitar Slim, but I can’t name anything about him, like when he lived. Or what he looked like. Or any of his songs. The only reason I even have some knowledge of Slim Whitman is from Mars Attacks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of the things I feel missing from Thorsten's interface is the ability to see what your opponent's responses were. I would love to be able to see what they answered.