LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by boson »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm So can I expect to have any more days where all six questions fall into my hammerhouse? I am pretty sure I've never heard of exoplanet, any of those "Studio" shows, satyagraha, Daisy, or meeple and... oh wait, it DID accept just "Fargo". So that's 1/6. Still, what a tough batch of questions to start on!
Yesterday was a tough day all over - 36% correct on average over all players. The overall average is about 50%.

But LL is tougher than most quizzes, where the standard is that most people get most answers correct. Expect to be challenged- that is the point.

It gets easier as you get used to the style. Never easy, just easier.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm So can I expect to have any more days where all six questions fall into my hammerhouse? I am pretty sure I've never heard of exoplanet, any of those "Studio" shows, satyagraha, Daisy, or meeple and... oh wait, it DID accept just "Fargo". So that's 1/6. Still, what a tough batch of questions to start on!
I think there's a nonzero chance you've heard of the last one, but didn't recognize it because there were words in the title not mentioned in the question or answer. The 2006-7 show was "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which was Matthew Perry's first post-"Friends" show. (It was less successful than its more comedic counterpart, "30 Rock," which was also about the inner workings of a sketch comedy TV show, also debuted that year, and also was on NBC.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 pm
I think there's a nonzero chance you've heard of the last one, but didn't recognize it because there were words in the title not mentioned in the question or answer. The 2006-7 show was "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which was Matthew Perry's first post-"Friends" show. (It was less successful than its more comedic counterpart, "30 Rock," which was also about the inner workings of a sketch comedy TV show, also debuted that year, and also was on NBC.)
Okay, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip I've heard of.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm
Apparently "planet" wasn't accepted for "exoplanet". Though more confusing is 34% picking -black hole-.
Black hole here. I think the question was a huge negbait for black hole, which was predicted decades earlier but the actual observation was sometime in the baby boomer era. I cycled through pulsars and quasars and neutron stars before deciding they aren't "viral" enough to be known about and build a clue on. It is a great question, but I'm not positive I'd have switched even if I thought of exoplanets. I hate using resources looking for them, there is no new science to be revealed from confirming the obvious.

Yeah, we can't even mention that there were a gajillion possible answers until after midnight. I screwed up after my rookie season in LL81 because I did a One Day match and commented after midnight (but no question spoilers). Problem is they don't end on the same schedule, it's something like noon the next day :oops: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

You can sometimes get away with answering a 1DS at like 1pm (ET).

As a note: even though mini-league championships are structured like 1DSs, they are NOT on that "noon the next day" schedule. (Not that I, um, speak from experience...)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 pm
Apparently "planet" wasn't accepted for "exoplanet". Though more confusing is 34% picking -black hole-.
Black hole here. I think the question was a huge negbait for black hole, which was predicted decades earlier but the actual observation was sometime in the baby boomer era.
I interpreted the question to mean that the objects in question had to have been discovered in an official capacity, not just have their presence detected. To me that eliminated black holes, since I didn't think there were anywhere near 4,000 that have been discovered. I waffled between quasars and pulsars before settling on the former.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 pm
Black hole here. I think the question was a huge negbait for black hole, which was predicted decades earlier but the actual observation was sometime in the baby boomer era.
I interpreted the question to mean that the objects in question had to have been discovered in an official capacity, not just have their presence detected. To me that eliminated black holes, since I didn't think there were anywhere near 4,000 that have been discovered. I waffled between quasars and pulsars before settling on the former.
That and they were discovered way before 1989.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 pm
Okay, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip I've heard of.
That was my key to getting it; I'd never heard of the other three shows as far as I can recall.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I beat my last two opponents by 3 points despite giving the same number of correct answers they did, and now I've won by one point over someone who got two fewer right than I did. Goodbye to my 1.000 DE!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm waiting for TPH to wield his runcible spoon. :lol: I owe that get to him for some previous posts. Meanwhile I channeled TPH too much and didn't guess anything for the Air Supply clue and gave up a potential tie. I even thought about "love" as a WAG and decided that would be too easy and put down a joke answer (expletive deleted).

I figured the countries would include a new-ish one from the breakup of Yugoslavia or a Balkan country but could only come up with Cz and Croatia. At least I didn't pair up New Macedonia with Netherlands :roll:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Good Burger? Somehow that's a movie that 62% of the people have heard of? OK...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am Good Burger? Somehow that's a movie that 62% of the people have heard of? OK...
Yeah I was shocked too that it didn't play over 80.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I had Serbia/Slovakia as a first guess, then took a minute to get over to the other side

I can’t name a single Air Supply song, but love seemed as good a guess as any
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:46 am
econgator wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am Good Burger? Somehow that's a movie that 62% of the people have heard of? OK...
I was talking the other way. I've never heard of that movie.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

WOO! Got my win! *happy dance*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Well I am paying the price so far for the previous season and a half's questions playing to my strengths, as I have opened this season with 5 TCA. I have been a little lucky though as I have managed two ties.

Yesterday I tied 3(1)-3(3). Being a '90s Nickelodeon fan, Good Burger was an easy get for me in a category that I am usually weak in. And given that my opponent lived in Australia I gave them a 3 for it, and I figured that there was a good chance that they would assign a 3 to me. I am also a little surprised that that one played as easy it did, as the subject matter did strike me as being a tad bit esoteric, but I would think that most LLamas from my generation would know it.

On the geography question I locked in on Slovenia, Slovakia, and Switzerland, and spent my time trying to figure out which 2 of the 3 bordered each other. And it's funny: I had lunch with my mom yesterday, and she had some gifts for me that she got on her cruise that she just came back from that stopped in Estonia. I had already submitted for the day, but I am still not sure that that would have made me think of Latvia and Lithuania.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

i'm of the right age demographic to know that movie quite well. I don't remember ever seeing it, but I saw ads for it and cross-promotion on Kenan and Kel and All That, and I remember Nostalgia Critic reviewing it.

What surprises me is all of the people I know of who were born considerably after the movie's release yet are familiar with it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:19 pm
i'm of the right age demographic to know that movie quite well. I don't remember ever seeing it, but I saw ads for it and cross-promotion on Kenan and Kel and All That, and I remember Nostalgia Critic reviewing it.

What surprises me is all of the people I know of who were born considerably after the movie's release yet are familiar with it.
How about The Big Lebowski for those born after 1998 familiar with it? That movie keeps finding a new audience.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:19 pm

3 days into the new season and you have the same number of correct answers as JenningsK. Worth pointing out, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding.

Nice job finally getting runcible to stick. If you're serious about improving your FJ numbers, LL is a pretty good way to do it. The questions often have the same sensibility. (Think Wells ----> Fargo)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 pm
sarisson wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 pm
quarterrican wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 am One of the only operas I’ve ever been to was Philip Glass’s Satyagraha. A friend of mine worked for the Met and had an extra ticket. My only distinct memories of it are that it was quite long, very repetitive, and generally just not my cup of tea. I’m slightly more grateful to have seen it now, as pulling its name yesterday was enough to put me over the edge for a win.
Nice win. I was surprised by the low get rate on that and exoplanets. I knew "satyagraha" from my social justice class in high school (we had to take four years of religion) and that word stuck in my memory. Never knew it was an opera.
How would planet ever be accepted? No planet was discovered before 1989?
Yeah, that's taking generosity to the next level.