LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Volante »

It begins. ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████. █████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████. ███████████████████████████████████████████.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
(Just some fun with the extended ASCII table.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good luck everyone!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

jjwaymee wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:15 pm Cyndi you do an amazing job of maintaining the list of Boardies every season. Thank you for all of that effort. I appreciate it.
You are very welcome. I have it streamlined with some excel tricks with vlookups and concatenations for formatting, so it is a fairly quick list to generate, formatting included. However, I don't know why my bullets are not working this time around. <sigh> I also tried to catch those who are not listed in the database and get them in the list from the posts in the thread.

Good luck everyone with MD1!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 pm Good luck everyone!
What Kirk said!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

If Ryno doesn't mind outing themself, who are you in A Cont? Mainly curious because I know bomtr, hbomb, KillerTomato, slam, StevenH and Woof IRL, assuming trivia conventions count. I'm PenroseB and have yet to crack the top three in any A rundle.
Good luck, everyone!
In and out of the pool four times
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

A Metro here. Continuing to hang on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TIL there was a solo version of synchronized swimming. A website says "the event's supporters claim that the synchronization is with the music."
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Arnold is my go to "I have no idea what this could be and it's asking for a name" answer. Colour me surprised to get a win.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:59 am TIL there was a solo version of synchronized swimming. A website says "the event's supporters claim that the synchronization is with the music."
I feel like this came up on one of the trivia apps earlier this year, because it was my reflex guess. Fortunately I talked myself out of it, en route to my worst Day 1 in a long time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I admit it look me a minute or two to connect the dots on the "Diff'rent Strokes" question, but I got there. Still lost 6(5)-8(5). My opponent knew the pop singers' nationality, which I thought was clearly the most difficult question of the set.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

oops, duplicate.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 am I admit it look me a minute or two to connect the dots on the "Diff'rent Strokes" question, but I got there. Still lost 6(5)-8(5). My opponent knew the pop singers' nationality, which I thought was clearly the most difficult question of the set.
The TOM there was to recognize Rexha as an Albanian name; its similarity to Enver Hoxha was, I presume, an intentional clue. I made the connection and considered it, then went, "But I think she's Maori." LOL.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got assigned a 2 for the Arnold/Willis question? Whatcha talkin' 'bout with that kind of defense?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh shoot, I forgot to play my first match!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:14 am I got assigned a 2 for the Arnold/Willis question? Whatcha talkin' 'bout with that kind of defense?
I got assigned a 0 (correctly, theoretically) for that one but missed it to end up with the dreaded 9(5). For some reason my brain latched onto the Hardy Boys and never let go of that notion.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:20 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:14 am I got assigned a 2 for the Arnold/Willis question? Whatcha talkin' 'bout with that kind of defense?
I got assigned a 0 (correctly, theoretically) for that one but missed it to end up with the dreaded 9(5). For some reason my brain latched onto the Hardy Boys and never let go of that notion.
I've never seen the show but knew who they wanted. Just didn't know the characters name and put down Brewster just to have an answer.

My brain fart was on Silicon Valley - I reflexively answered Bermuda Triangle apparently without reading a word of the TOM packed clue :roll: . I knew the Bermuda Triangle was made up by some magazine story and the timing was not too far off:

PSA in attempt to not make anyone dumber:
Spoiler
citation:

Vincent Hayes Gaddis (December 28, 1913 – February 26, 1997) was an American author who invented the phrase "Bermuda Triangle", which he used first in the cover article for the 1964 February issue of the magazine Argosy.
Reminder to self from wisdom I've seen cited here: EVERY word of Thorsten's clues are meaningful :!:

eta: new software update - spoiler tag didn't work and no idea where the small italic font came from. sorry for the bad news to our awesome mods.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:20 am
My brain also did the Hardy Boys connection, and then I missed two Kosman coinflips on Selma vs. Montgomery and Albania versus Serbia. <sigh> Congratulations to Peachbox on the strategic defensive win!
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

My brain also did the Hardy Boys connection, and then I missed two Kosman coinflips on Selma vs. Montgomery and Albania versus Serbia. <sigh> Congratulations to Peachbox on the strategic defensive win!

Thanks! I thought of Albania but figured "no it must be somewhere in the Americas." :? Started off with my usual 3 right, but I still want to hit 100 CA.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:15 am Oh shoot, I forgot to play my first match!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

REDACTED BY MOD