LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:19 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:46 am
econgator wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am Good Burger? Somehow that's a movie that 62% of the people have heard of? OK...
Yeah I was shocked too that it didn't play over 80.
i'm of the right age demographic to know that movie quite well. I don't remember ever seeing it, but I saw ads for it and cross-promotion on Kenan and Kel and All That, and I remember Nostalgia Critic reviewing it.

What surprises me is all of the people I know of who were born considerably after the movie's release yet are familiar with it.
How about The Big Lebowski for those born after 1998 familiar with it? That movie keeps finding a new audience.
Star Wars seems to be doing well despite no new movies made after 1983.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cantata was a whirlwind: Bach, 200 works...uhh, cantada[sic]? Sure. Before submitting, I rereadskim the clue, "Wait, voices?" *deletedelete* Orato... (actually -read- the clue now) *deletedelete, ponder* Oh. Dur. Canto, cantada[sic]. I was right* the first time.

*Well...close enough to right, given the misspelling.

And I knew consciously choosing earlier this year to not closely follow the revolving White House staff would come back to bite, but it just cost me a beer, not the win...so extra win for sanity!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cantata was just a brain lock for me. I froze up and couldn't think of any words in that direction.

The others? Not a chance. Forza, Stephanie Grisham, Unready, and Hairspay were all absolute NHOI for me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm hoping I can scrounge up enough money to renew sometime in the next couple of seasons.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I finally won a game yesterday. Yay me!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm
Apparently "planet" wasn't accepted for "exoplanet". Though more confusing is 34% picking -black hole-.
Black hole here. I think the question was a huge negbait for black hole, which was predicted decades earlier but the actual observation was sometime in the baby boomer era. I cycled through pulsars and quasars and neutron stars before deciding they aren't "viral" enough to be known about and build a clue on. It is a great question, but I'm not positive I'd have switched even if I thought of exoplanets. I hate using resources looking for them, there is no new science to be revealed from confirming the obvious.

Yeah, we can't even mention that there were a gajillion possible answers until after midnight. I screwed up after my rookie season in LL81 because I did a One Day match and commented after midnight (but no question spoilers). Problem is they don't end on the same schedule, it's something like noon the next day :oops: .
I didn't go with black hole, but rather something else that would have never been visible without a space telescope... a brown dwarf.

Much to my consternation, there IS a brown dwarf in the binary star system referenced in the question. Moreover, it actually has the exact same designation as the exoplanet given... except with a capital B.

:x
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am Cantata was just a brain lock for me. I froze up and couldn't think of any words in that direction.

The others? Not a chance. Forza, Stephanie Grisham, Unready, and Hairspay were all absolute NHOI for me.
Eh. No has heard of Stephanie Grisham. I mean, a press secretary that doesn't actually run any press conferences?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Given all the clues in the question about Van Doren, how did that only play 14%?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am Given all the clues in the question about Van Doren, how did that only play 14%?
I completely whiffed. It certainly made sense in retrospect, but my brain just didn't take me there.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I read "subcommittee confessor" and immediately thought of Oliver North. The other clues didn't help in the slightest.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am Given all the clues in the question about Van Doren, how did that only play 14%?
I think the 1991 and the Today Show correspondent kept many people (myself included) thinking of who was on the Today Show in 1991.

With the explosive growth of the league from 5000 to 15,000 in the last few seasons, I also expect there to be many under 30 players, making it the wrong era for them to know about Van Doren. Big time game show fan here, and loved the movie Quiz Show, but I missed it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 am
I completely whiffed. It certainly made sense in retrospect, but my brain just didn't take me there.
Same here. The 1991 publication date certainly didn't point me to Senate testimony from 1959 and I didn't recall from his obituary that he'd been an Encyclopedia Britannica editor. My first thought was Newt Gingrich, actually.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 am With the explosive growth of the league from 5000 to 15,000 in the last few seasons, I also expect there to be many under 30 players, making it the wrong era for them to know about Van Doren. Big time game show fan here, and loved the movie Quiz Show, but I missed it.
I wonder if there's a way to see the total number of llamas for each season. It's probably there somewhere.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am
Same here. The 1991 publication date certainly didn't point me to Senate testimony from 1959 and I didn't recall from his obituary that he'd been an Encyclopedia Britannica editor. My first thought was Newt Gingrich, actually.
I was thinking of people like Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley Jr, but no one in that vein seemed like they could have checked all the boxes.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:43 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 am With the explosive growth of the league from 5000 to 15,000 in the last few seasons, I also expect there to be many under 30 players, making it the wrong era for them to know about Van Doren. Big time game show fan here, and loved the movie Quiz Show, but I missed it.
I wonder if there's a way to see the total number of llamas for each season. It's probably there somewhere.
Go to the History tab, scroll down to past seasons, hit the link for the season. Lots of data, including that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Growth of Learned League:

Llamas Seasons 1-40.png
Llamas Seasons 1-40.png (6.42 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Llamas Seasons 41-81.png
Llamas Seasons 41-81.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am
Eh, didn't much matter that I knew it; Prairie A had a 61% rate.

0-5-0 after MD5. 4 losses by 1 point. Good times!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I knew it was the guy from Quiz Show - the posh New Yorker. I knew his last name started with "Van". I couldn't come up with the suffix.

I said "Van Cliburn".

I have since learned that "Van" in the pianist's name is his first name (nickname), and not the dutch prefix. I'm ready for that question now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clues were there. Ingvar Kamprad, founding something in Sweden. But no matter how many times I read the clue, it just didn't click. I think it was because "founding" had me stuck on something more institutional.

Billy Corgan -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Rat in a cage was easy. An art livestreamer I used to watch would often play music and for some reason, one of her songs of choice was a cheap knockoff of this song by a group called Blue Light Special or something.

Aaaaand I missed September 5 because I was at work all day. Crap.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 am The clues were there. Ingvar Kamprad, founding something in Sweden. But no matter how many times I read the clue, it just didn't click. I think it was because "founding" had me stuck on something more institutional.

Billy Corgan -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Rat in a cage was easy. An art livestreamer I used to watch would often play music and for some reason, one of her songs of choice was a cheap knockoff of this song by a group called Blue Light Special or something.

Aaaaand I missed September 5 because I was at work all day. Crap.
Try submitting anyway. You might have a chance if you get in before the results are complete.