Mike Richards to Replace Harry Friedman

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Mike Richards to Replace Harry Friedman

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Mike Richards is replacing Harry Friedman as EP of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/mike-richa ... 202707378/
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Mike Richards to Replace Harry Friedman

Post by Robert K S »

Any thoughts on what this might mean for changes in the tone of the show?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 pm Any thoughts on what this might mean for changes in the tone of the show?
Instead of "Ooh, sorry". . .
https://youtu.be/_asNhzXq72w
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 pm Any thoughts on what this might mean for changes in the tone of the show?
The contestants will be seated in the audience until Johnny Gilbert hollers, "Come on down!!!"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

Mike Richards might edit out dead space to fit in more clues...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Maybe Wheel's puzzles will finally modernize. The song title/song lyrics puzzles are almost always traditional songs or dusty old dad-rock that's long since been worn into the ground. Modern movies, TV, and celebs are very sporadic as puzzles (which was why I was shocked to see Zootopia and The Secret Life of Pets as puzzles on consecutive episodes). The few times they've acknowledged video games in a puzzle, it's always been Pac-Man or Space Invaders.

I can understand J!'s willingness to put modern works in clues, since ~300 clues per week requires casting a wide net, and contemporary culture can often make for engaging clues. But I've just never gotten why Wheel likes to pretend that all pop culture stopped in 1980. I think of the one episode where six millennial contestants managed to strike out with three wrong answers on the Toss-Up "WKRP in Cincinnati" since it was clear that all six were way too young to be aware of that show. But if the puzzle had been a character from Game of Thrones, I bet it would've been solved much quicker.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:10 pm Mike Richards might edit out dead space to fit in more clues...
Can’t say I recognize dead space...where is it?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

He might get rid of stand and stares on the final product.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:40 pm He might get rid of stand and stares on the final product.
That would totally not make any sense while watching...it would come off as clues played but not shown, and hurt the experience of viewers playing along
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:40 pm He might get rid of stand and stares on the final product.
Be careful when you ask the monkey's paw for cleared boards...they might just cut a column. Easiest way; when was the last time 11 clues were skipped in normal play? Plus no changes to the post process.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goongas

Post by goongas »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm
Be careful when you ask the monkey's paw for cleared boards...they might just cut a column. Easiest way; when was the last time 11 clues were skipped in normal play? Plus no changes to the post process.
I don't think my suggestion is a good idea, it is something that may happen. I don't want the Sports J! board either...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm
I don't think my suggestion is a good idea, it is something that may happen. I don't want the Sports J! board either...
Even worse than fewer clues would be making the score, points, and having a flat rate winning amount for the champ. Yeah, I know, don't give them any ideas.
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

I'd expect more impossible FJ! clues if budget is going to be an issue like it was in Drew Carey's early seasons of The Price is Right. If it does happen, I hope things would improve after a season or so. Price appears to have improved.

Additionally, if budget does turn out to be an issue, why edit out the stand and stare clues? Besides, depending on the clue, the silence can sometimes add a little humor to the show.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

mechamind wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:18 pm I'd expect more impossible FJ! clues if budget is going to be an issue like it was in Drew Carey's early seasons of The Price is Right. If it does happen, I hope things would improve after a season or so. Price appears to have improved.

Additionally, if budget does turn out to be an issue, why edit out the stand and stare clues? Besides, depending on the clue, the silence can sometimes add a little humor to the show.
If the FJ!s are made harder then that might also affect wagering strategy - as in there now being a non-minuscule chance the leader will not bet to cover in non-crush games.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wasn't there a recent-ish game where the last two or three clues were all stand-and-stares that got edited out of the final product?

I always suspect that to be the case whenever Alex gives the LTaM and the game ends only one clue later.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm Wasn't there a recent-ish game where the last two or three clues were all stand-and-stares that got edited out of the final product?

I always suspect that to be the case whenever Alex gives the LTaM and the game ends only one clue later.
when that happens, i usually suspect that one clue was a daily double