FJs for the 9/9/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/9/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

A site excavated since 1899, Tell es-Safi has been identified as this Philistine city, home to a giant warrior
19%
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
69%
The original title of this 1900 classic included a gem; another working title mentioned a Plains state
82%
President Johnson signed a law that added 2 words to the name of this museum established in 1946, D.C.’s most popular
82%
This is the most recent presidential election year when both major presidential candidates were residents of the same state
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
PARTS OF SPEECHES $400: Douglas MacArthur, 1951: “I now close my military career and just…”
60%
LITERARY LADIES $1600: During the Harlem Renaissance, she wrote “Their Eyes Were Watching God”
60%
HOTELS $1200: In a classic kids’ book by Kay Thompson, Eloise lives at this NYC hotel
37%
I had no recollection of the name Gath prior to the Monday FJ! clue.
65%
I watched the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show on that night of 2/9/64.
10%
I have seen an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show.
32%
I included the word "Wonderful" for my response on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
22%
I have been inside the National Air and Space Museum.
64%
I was 4/5 this week, only missing the Monday FJ! clue.
29%

Total votes: 113

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: FJs for the 9/9/19 week

Post by seaborgium »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Not a great start. I will get better.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:

I was almost stumped by the last one. I thought, "Could it really be the most recent one?" Sure enough, it was. They were both from New York.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Eloise still polled low, even though it was mentioned in Reretaken Down. :roll:
Douglas Squasoni
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

I've not only been in the National Air & Space Museum, I also got lost in it at the age of 6. I wandered off to see a really cool exhibit, and my dad found me about 30 minutes later. I don't even think I ever realized I was lost.

And yes, I got that one right. 3/5 on the week for me. On Tuesday I couldn't get the 1st Super Bowl or MASH out of my head, even though I knew the dates weren't right. But also never would've gotten it anyway. Wednesday I latched on to Little House on the Prairie, didn't think it was right, but couldn't think of anything else. 32 years too late, apparently. But at least I got Gath!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 am I couldn't get the 1st Super Bowl or MASH out of my head, even though I knew the dates weren't right.
First Super Bowl == 1967

M*A*S*H Finale == 1983
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

The SB comment reminds me of a FJ one time that wasn't one of my favorites (and I'll preface this by saying that 99% of the time, when I don't know a FJ, I'm happy to have either learned a fact or something about how things connect):

It was along the lines of "He was president when Joe Namath led his team to a legendary Super Bowl upset." That was Super Bowl III, in 1969. So you had to know/remember/figure out whether the game took place before or after Jan. 20 (turns out it was held on Jan 12).
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NHO of Gath. Put “Wonderful” in my answer. I have been in the Air and Space Museum from trips to DC in my Geography Bee days.

I also can credit the Sopranos as being the only reason I know Eloise lives at the Plaza. Carmella and Meadow would dress up and go there for tea once a year.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Missed the Friday FJ! - I went for 1944 (FDR vs. Dewey), forgetting that Clinton was listed as being from New York.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I have not seen a full episode of The Ed Sullivan Show
Considered adding Wonderful but figured the response would be accepted either way
I have not been to any of the D.C. museums despite going to law school only a couple of hours away. School, work, and young children made such a trip difficult, but I regret it now.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

I learned the giant's name as "Goliath of Gath" long ago, so Monday was an easy one for me. Clearly, I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm sure I saw an episode of Ed's show as a kid. We didn't watch religiously at all, but I know I've seen a couple original broadcasts.

Didn't include "Wonderful" in the title. But then again, I didn't include "Oz" or "Wizard" or "of", either. :oops:

Desperately wanted to see the A & S museum the one time I visited DC. But was with a high school group and it wasn't on the itinerary. When I saw that Johnson had signed the bill, my first question was which one. When it became obvious it wasn't Lincoln's ex-VP, the TOM was pretty clear to me.
--Peter
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Mon / Tue - No idea what I did; too long ago

I do know I pronounced it Huston tho

Gath?...
Never seen an episode of Ed Sullivan; have probably seen bits here and there, nothing remotely close to complete though.
Included 'Wonderful'
Been to A&S Museum twice and need to go back again (and to Udvar-Hazy...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)