Strange Phenomenon when Researching 1950s Quiz Show Contestants

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Strange Phenomenon when Researching 1950s Quiz Show Contestants

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

I wanted to share this with you all because I've sometimes experienced this with many of the famous Jeopardy champions like Ken, Brad, Pam, James, etc.

I was doing some research to compile an episode guide for shows like The $64,000 Question and Twenty-One. I found out a bunch of information using only photographs, newspaper articles, press releases, etc. found online. I just got sucked into it for hours. Then I came across a picture called the "Roll of Champions" from Question. "Wait, there's Richard McCutcheon, Joyce Brothers, Gino Prato, Catherine Kreitzer, Gloria Lockerman..." I thought as if this was some weird high school reunion, as if I knew them personally. (Never mind that this comes from the shady Quiz Show Scandal era, all that matters to me for this exercise is that every one of them appeared on television and appeared to win money.)

Do any of you have that sort of feeling when watching past champions on Jeopardy? Is there some sort of psychological thing going on here?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Strange Phenomenon when Researching 1950s Quiz Show Contestants

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

SweepingDeveloper wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 pm Do any of you have that sort of feeling when watching past champions on Jeopardy?
No.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Strange Phenomenon when Researching 1950s Quiz Show Contestants

Post by twelvefootboy »

SweepingDeveloper wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 pm Then I came across a picture called the "Roll of Champions" from Question. "Wait, there's Richard McCutcheon, Joyce Brothers, Gino Prato, Catherine Kreitzer, Gloria Lockerman..."

Do any of you have that sort of feeling when watching past champions on Jeopardy? Is there some sort of psychological thing going on here?
I would gander that we all share this experience at some emotional/neural level or other. E.G., if a boardie makes it onto the show I get a little second hand shot of the dopamine (but without the adrenaline!). I won't call it a vicarious living vibe because being on the show is on my anti-bucket list :).

Offhand, I think I felt similarly the first time I saw the famous picture of the 1927 Solvay Conference. Of course it was the names, not the faces for me as I am horrible at facial recognition. I know that guy - there's an equation named for him! There's future Manhattan project scientists! Nobel Prize winner, winner, chicken dinner! Uh, wasn't that guy a bad Nazi?

Screw the 1927 Yankees. This is the best Murderers Row team ever!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.