Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am Tricky one. Was tempted to say "La Marsellaise" but thought that would be too easy. Took a closer look and just so happened to recognize the Routhier name.
I thought it would be too easy as well. And still took the negbait like a starving mackerel. Jeesh.

Meanwhile, it certainly didn't take long into the new season to see our first game thrown away by a contestant with good trivia knowledge and no wagering sense. Colin, Colin, Colin.....

Why did all three of them keep calling it "Hay-Lee's Comet" even when Alex kept pronouncing it correctly?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

When we saw the FJ category, Mrs Penguin immediately began singing O Canada as I fast-forwarded through the ads. At a certain point she got the words a little wrong, so I corrected her. She said, "You can't correct me unless you sing along." So I started singing. Then Daughter Penguin joined in. By the time the show was back, we were all singing "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!" at the top of our lungs.

So when the clue was revealed, we all knew immediately what to say. La Marseillaise.

This is one of those clues where the wrong response is going to poll higher than the correct one.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I knew the date was about a century too late for La Marseillaise, and since it's not Teen Week, I went with O, Canada :P
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:20 pm When we saw the FJ category, Mrs Penguin immediately began singing O Canada as I fast-forwarded through the ads. At a certain point she got the words a little wrong, so I corrected her.
That depends, maybe she was singing the new lyrics after last year’s change.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:48 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:20 pm When we saw the FJ category, Mrs Penguin immediately began singing O Canada as I fast-forwarded through the ads. At a certain point she got the words a little wrong, so I corrected her.
That depends, maybe she was singing the new lyrics after last year’s change.
Nope, I allowed for either option. She went with "thy sons" since she learned the anthem from That '70s Show. But she got lost in the middle and sang "With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the true North from the skies. With glowing hearts, with glowing hearts we stand on guard for thee."

So YouTube links don't embed anymore? Oh well, here's the That '70s Show scene I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/v8Nk43SXJac
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DD sniping can really change things, can't it?

Surprisingly I bombed the Verbs category. The clues were just weren't breaking my way at all.

"Yellow ones for TV" had me wondering where on a TV a yellow ball would be placed, and I almost WAGged tuning knob. That and Australia for Japan on Wagyu cost me the run.

DJ! proved very tough. I only got about six or seven right, and blanked on a couple others.

Those sound like French names... wait, what, it's not La Mars--I'm not even gonna try and spell that? Then what else could it even be? Canada wasn't a country yet! This may be the negbaitiest FJ! ever.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:09 pm I'm guessing Shakespeare would've gone better had they played the category top to bottom

I had a sinking feeling about the outcome when Colin held back money on the first DD in the second round

Now, would someone please tell me the optimal FJ wager for second place? I did the math and came up with 2,701 min / 9,499 max

ETA: I didn't recognize the scenario First = Second + 1/2 Third! I didn't even know that was a scenario worth remembering! Good grief :shock:

From J-Archive: Player C: Risk all $20,300 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Player A doesn't wager to cover by $1)

that is how i see it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 pm DD sniping can really change things, can't it?

Surprisingly I bombed the Verbs category. The clues were just weren't breaking my way at all.

"Yellow ones for TV" had me wondering where on a TV a yellow ball would be placed, and I almost WAGged tuning knob. That and Australia for Japan on Wagyu cost me the run.

DJ! proved very tough. I only got about six or seven right, and blanked on a couple others.

Those sound like French names... wait, what, it's not La Mars--I'm not even gonna try and spell that? Then what else could it even be? Canada wasn't a country yet! This may be the negbaitiest FJ! ever.

canada was a country by then...1867...though the clue had nothing to do with being a country or even the anthem being the national anthem at the time...i do believe it wasn't until like 1980 that o canada became the offical national anthem of canadia
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:
Now, would someone please tell me the optimal FJ wager for second place? I did the math and came up with 2,701 min / 9,499 max

ETA: I didn't recognize the scenario First = Second + 1/2 Third! I didn't even know that was a scenario worth remembering! Good grief :shock:
FWIW, The J-Archive wagering suggestions are still tuned as if tie games and co champions are permitted.

My recommendation for Colin would have been $4099. This would defeat my best savvy non-cover wager for Jason ($6800) in a TS.
Jason betting $6800 would be an anticipation of Colin making the highest shut-out bet against Helen ($9499).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 pm Canada wasn't a country yet!
Says who? When do you think Canada was a country anyways?

(Btw if you think about it, at least for new (ie post WWII) countries, they need to make the anthem before independence anyways. Or what are they going to play at the Independence Day ceremonies? The soundtrack to Finding Nemo?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Redemption for NATIONAL ANTHEMS came quickly when Common Knowledge asked for the final word of "The Star-Spangled Banner" among choices of "brave", "free" or "land." One went with "free" to lose the bonus points for the sweep.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Frustrating to watch. None of the three had any idea how to win this game.
davey

Post by davey »

Surprised that so many didn't remember that La Marseillaise is associated with the French Revolution. I did just finish reading a book about the Revolution but I think I would have known anyway that it didn't fit in 1880. Add a guy with a French-sounding name but an English title and this was, as the French say, le slam dunk...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mas3cf wrote: Upon closer inspection, Jason's bet probably wasn't optimal either. Wagering 100 less would have prevented Helen from overtaking him on a triple stumper and guaranteed no less than a tiebreaker if he got it right.
This was actually a more interesting scenario than it seemed at first glance.
Jason's final wagers have been suspect through most of his run.
Like you say, he might have been smart to wager $1 short, and allow Helen a shot at a tie-breaker, but he overbets by $99.
This, after leaving $50,000+ on the table in lock games. :?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I know FOUR national anthem's titles. Eliminated US and UK. Great, France and Canada. Wait, they must be going for Haiti - is that an anthem everybody knows but me? Since I couldn't fill in that blank, I decided to be wrong with the stupid obvious one. Along with the contestants and our maestro, MB. 0 for 2 to start the week after a nice four-pack last week (stupid Gath).

I like the idea of a non-derogatory term for the survivor of a game like this. Doesn't seem proper to call them the victor, but there's no need to diminish the fact they had the lead and got dealt a vicious clue (or at least a TS like today's case). As to the game donor, congrats on knowing a lot of stuff and playing the first two parts well.

The Romeo / Juliet back and forth was fun to watch.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat $21,000

32 R (2 DDs), 2 W--Said Elba instead of Corsica on the last DD.

FJ—Nope, I also went with La Marseillaise, forgetting it had been written long before the 1880s.

I don't think there will ever be a situation that necessitates betting everything but $101 in final. Making a small bet gives you a much better chance of pulling out a win obviously. It's how Matt Jackson was defeated.
frogluvs61
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by frogluvs61 »

I got the final jeopardy! just by pure guess
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 pm I know FOUR national anthem's titles. Eliminated US and UK. Great, France and Canada.
You know one more than I do. Fortunately for me, France's was the one of the four I didn't know, otherwise I surely would have gone with it.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Colin gave Jason a good fight today. Still glad Jason ended up prevailing though, and its cool that he's now tied with Matt Jackson for the 5th longest Jeopardy streak. Hopefully tomorrow he can win to claim the record all by himself!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought 1880 was too recent for "La Marseillaise," and struggled to think of any other national anthem title at all (that wasn't the US's or UK's), before I pulled out "O Canada" and realized that fit quite well with "Sir [Frenchy name]."

I hate to single out a player, but one of them made three disappointing wagers.