Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by earendel »

I've never seen or read The Maltese Falcon, but did know the nicknames of the two atomic bombs. My coin flip landed on the right answer. I know absolutely nothing about metal bands, so went 0/5 there.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

On any other day, Barbara. Any other day ...

I think I only got Twisted Sister in the Metal category. I almost said Twisted Sifter, since that's a web site I follow, but I managed to spit it out correctly.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Having Heavy Metal as the music category as opposed to, say, Billboard #1 hits of the 2010s, was a significant boost to my Coryat for the evening...
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am How long to the first "left money on the table" criticism?
Looking at timestamps, one hit The Jeopardy! Fan about 11 minutes after this comment.
In your reply, you made a good point about FJ. When a contestant is on the right side of a runaway, the wager becomes actual money, not potential. I doubt that I would bet every last dollar I could, unless I felt really, really good about the category.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 am
I learned that it is "Stuf" instead of "Stuft" on the Oreo clue.
I was sure it was Stuf'd... :roll:
Just as I was surprised yesterday's FJ played so hard, I'm surprised today's played so easy. Nice to know that Sydney Greenstreet endures!...(though it seems for many it was an atom bomb coin flip...)
Jeopardy_fan
Contributor

Post by Jeopardy_fan »

The sequence written into Career Highlights was messed up due to clues being played bottom up now.

400 - "played by Anthony Hopkins in a biopic"
800 - "played by Cliff Robertson in a biopic"
1200 - "never been played in a biopic"

These kinds of clues that build off each other don't happen extremely often, but I think it's fun when when the throw some in. They may not want to do it anymore though if this is how clue selection is going to be now for the foreseeable future.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am For a moment, I conflated the two and came up with "fat boy," then realized my error. Wonder if the same process would've happened under the glare of the hot studio lights, or would I have left the blunder intact?
I had the same issue, and knew it didn't sound right. I finally decided that "Fat Man" was more likely to be a Hammett character. Whatever it takes... :D
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Hey, I’m a retired air traffic controller too! I only saw blips though. I was torn between rooting for Jason or Barbara. I have seen The Maltese Falcon & “Fat Man” is mentioned a lot. Plus there was a movie about the bomb starting Paul Newman call Fat Man & Little Boy.

And yeah, that heavy metal category seemed rather pop-oriented. That worked out better for me!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 am 36R with a bunch of misses. The episode was already archived so thanks for that.

I get Biscayne Bay and Bay of Biscay mixed up.

The clues were fine but I'm having fun imagining the Jeopardy writers going to a small metal concert and surveying people - "You all like Def Leppard and Motley Crue, right? That's representative?"

I learned that it is "Stuf" instead of "Stuft" on the Oreo clue.

Congrats on your appearance on the show Barbara. You said you're being critical of yourself but watching from home you looked like you did a good job. Jason is a tough opponent. It was fun to watch.
Stuft is for Taco Bell Burritos
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Have seen The Maltese Falcon a few times, but not in many years. Don't remember the character, or much else other than the basic story.

Immediately knew it was about the Hiroshima bomb, quickly wrote down "Fat Boy", didn't think that looked right, spent 29.5 seconds trying to remember the names of the bombs.

sooooooooooooo close
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm Yes, I'm here. Couldn't talk about it before. I was in a haze/funk in the break before FJ, and made a simple math error calculating to block John for second. Got it backwards in my head looking for the optimal bet. So I'm lucky he missed it. Instead of 6999 it should have been 7001.

Nobody here could be more critical of me than I am of myself over this game, so swing away if you want to.
Don't beat yourself up - You did a wonderful thing by being there and competing to the last question. You've got to have fun, or what's the point?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (My only miss was Gary Sinise though I've heard of him, but didn't recognize him from the picture.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Chromosphere), Fetch the Stick, Messina, Sit, Geronimo
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:57 am On any other day, Barbara. Any other day ...
Except for Holzhauer's games.
Douglas Squasoni
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

Jeopardy_fan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 am The sequence written into Career Highlights was messed up due to clues being played bottom up now.

These kinds of clues that build off each other don't happen extremely often, but I think it's fun when when the throw some in. They may not want to do it anymore though if this is how clue selection is going to be now for the foreseeable future.
Mod ETA minor 9/19 spoiler:
Spoiler
A similar thing happened on Thursday, Sept. 19 in the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team category.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jeopardy_fan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 am The sequence written into Career Highlights was messed up due to clues being played bottom up now.

I was on record before holzhauer that they should make it a rule the categories can only be played from the top down. That would also eliminate the necessity of calling out a dollar amount.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm

And it's the Stuf that creme is made of.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

The FJ clue pointed pretty clearly to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of WWII. That left me picking between the two name choices.

The Maltese Falcon hint was useless to me. Once you get past Humphrey Bogart, "Play it, Sam," and "Of all the gin joints ..." I've exhausted my knowledge of the film.

So it was down to the other parts of the clue. I know that Little Boy was first and dropped on Hiroshima, while Fat Man was second on Nagasaki. And the clue wasn't "THE history-making weapon" it was "A history-making weapon." "The" would have been the first, so "A" makes it more likely the second and "fat man" becomes my choice.

Another Alex-ism at the end. Will Jason get to $400k tomorrow? Of course he will. The third place finisher gets $1000 and that's plenty to push Jason over that threshold.

PS - My mnemonic for keeping the right adjective with the right noun in these two names? "Little man" usually refers to a boy today. But that's already the other noun. So it's wrong.

PPS - Double-stuf Oreos were a staple in the house when I was a kid. I wasn't missing that one. Ditto for Trix cereal.
--Peter
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am

The Maltese Falcon hint was useless to me. Once you get past Humphrey Bogart, "Play it, Sam," and "Of all the gin joints ..." I've exhausted my knowledge of the film.
Your knowledge of the film is even less than you think it is... ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:15 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am

Your knowledge of the film is even less than you think it is... ;)
Hey, 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

OK, yeah it is. ;)
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Lefty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm

And it's the Stuf that creme is made of.
I can see it now...they do a remake of TMF and Oreos has a product placement in it...