Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:03 pm FWIW John Huston's screenplay refers to "the fat man" 27 times. The original novel, 80 times.
My recollection (which of course is spot-on almost always :roll: ) was that Spade referred to Gutman in the movie any number of times as "Fat Man."

Interestingly my first thought for this FJ was the "black bird," which I also thought I remembered as a reference to the falcon once or more in the movie (anyone? corroboration? or rebuttal? I'm not certain on this one). However, the "black bird" weapon was the stealth bomber not produced until decades after 1945 so I shortly went looking for another eponym and stumbled onto fat man shortly and in time.

What struck me in this episode (besides watching Jason stumble badly out of the gate and rebound quite nicely) was how both of his competitors wagered so awfully in FJ. Barbara needed to wager $1 more and answer correctly to lock Jon out of the extra thou. If he had answered correctly she would have finished in 3rd after her math error threw away the extra thousand bucks. Jon, meanwhile, wagered all-in which would usually be futile in a trailing position and would have cost him second place in the event of a double-miss. No one seems interested in learning Wagering 101. Or math.

Meanwhile I ran "M" Ports, which included Messina, which was the answer to a clue on a recent online contestant quiz.

And yeah, it must be really sweet when you're in position to make a killing and salt the game away by landing on a DD, and the category is right in your sweet spot, as it was for Jason as he landed on Classic Metal. When the stars align....
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

The statue is certainly called the black bird in the movie, more than once.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm Nobody here could be more critical of me than I am of myself over this game, so swing away if you want to.
Be careful what you wish for :twisted:

You played great! Congrats :)

Strong right out of the gate, I thought you might take down the champ! I did gasp when you spelled Stuf S-T-U-F-F. Writers got you good on that one.

I thought I'd skunk Metal Bands (why oh why put that category in DJ?) but I managed to get a few. I'll never forget Twisted Sister because they have a hilarious cameo in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Yeah, I've heard of the 2 bomb names, but wasn't getting there tonight or any other night
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 pm that metal category was a joke...all easy and not even sure if def leppard, twisted sister and motley crue are even considered metal anymore
I predicted this post as I was watching the show. I agree.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 pm that metal category was a joke...all easy and not even sure if def leppard, twisted sister and motley crue are even considered metal anymore
I figured the $2000 question would be at least Slayer or Pantera.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 pm
I figured the $2000 question would be at least Slayer or Pantera.
i don't mind the priest clue...would expect judas priest to not be so well known by the general jeopardy player, so a bottom box play for that clue is fine imo...personally, i would have gone with something like venom, celtic frost, or kreator for the bottom box clue...was hoping they would give some love to lesser known bands by the masses...bathroy would have been a good one...could have gone with a clue like "this band takes its name from the hungarian countess of blood"
Last edited by CasketRomance on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:05 pm
MollyQMurphy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm Nobody here could be more critical of me than I am of myself over this game, so swing away if you want to.
Be careful what you wish for :twisted:

You played great! Congrats :)

Strong right out of the gate, I thought you might take down the champ! I did gasp when you spelled Stuf S-T-U-F-F. Writers got you good on that one.

I thought I'd skunk Metal Bands (why oh why put that category in DJ?) but I managed to get a few. I'll never forget Twisted Sister because they have a hilarious cameo in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Yeah, I've heard of the 2 bomb names, but wasn't getting there tonight or any other night

dee snider was the writer and starred in a very underrated movie called "strangeland"...got mostly negative reviews, but i found it to be pretty solid
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:55 pm Chapter 11 of The Maltese Falcon is titled "The Fat Man". The title refers to Casper Gutman who is introduced in the chapter. The chapter and the rest of the book repeatedly refer to him as "the fat man". I don't know about the A-bomb being named after him. I also don't know of any other Hammett characters referred to as the fat man. If Gutman isn't the only one, he is still without competition the most well known.

Oh, and for everyone saying they've never read the book or seen the film, two treats await you. They represent the pinnacles of their respective subgenres--hard-boiled detective fiction and film noir. Seek them out.
never saw the movie or read the book...will continue taking a pass
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks Barbara, aka Molly for sharing your experience. Glad the math faux pas didn't matter in the end. Great story about Chuck Yeager and I'm glad there are people of your caliber controlling the landing of our planes!

I thought the Hiroshima bomb should be the "history changing weapon" and somehow I decided that the gun type would be the "fat man", and the implosion device would be more compact. This is backwards, and it is the "fat man" design that perseveres to this day while the projectile type "little boy" is basically a one-off. My confusion helped me pick the right one for the wrong reason, but I also gave more weight to it being more likely to be a fictional character in a detective novel. I think this polls in the 70's.

Just IMHO for the headbangers here on the board, the metal category was plenty difficult enough. You have to be a groupie to know the names of the artists or more than two songs from each group. And if they ever do a Moh's hardness minerals category, I won't grouse if they leave out apatite or topaz :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Spanish and Brand Name categories, along with Metaphors in DJ!

Saw no way to figure out "Heaven" in Bestsellers for $200, or Nixon in Career for $400.

NHO Biscayne Bay to my knowledge, which I thought was an obscure path to Miami for the top box.

Country with the most tornados? Well, that can't possibly be the US, way too easy even for the top box.

Metal should've been an easy category, but I blanked on Twisted Sister and couldn't tell you the first thing about Judas Priest or Def Leppard.

Skunked Career Highlights, Sports, and Play & Playwrights.

No guess on FJ! Not even "Little Boy" led me anywhere. Fat Man/Little Boy is in my brain space, but I had no idea what the terms referred to. Another classic case of me only half-knowing something.

Lach Trash: "fetch the stick", "sit"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:49 pm Ran the Spanish and Brand Name categories, along with Metaphors in DJ!

Saw no way to figure out "Heaven" in Bestsellers for $200, or Nixon in Career for $400.

NHO Biscayne Bay to my knowledge, which I thought was an obscure path to Miami for the top box.

Country with the most tornados? Well, that can't possibly be the US, way too easy even for the top box.

Metal should've been an easy category, but I blanked on Twisted Sister and couldn't tell you the first thing about Judas Priest or Def Leppard.

Skunked Career Highlights, Sports, and Play & Playwrights.

No guess on FJ! Not even "Little Boy" led me anywhere. Fat Man/Little Boy is in my brain space, but I had no idea what the terms referred to. Another classic case of me only half-knowing something.

Lach Trash: "fetch the stick", "sit"
i guess you don't follow tennis...key biscayne hosted a tennis tournament for many years until this year
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R with a bunch of misses. The episode was already archived so thanks for that.

I get Biscayne Bay and Bay of Biscay mixed up.

The clues were fine but I'm having fun imagining the Jeopardy writers going to a small metal concert and surveying people - "You all like Def Leppard and Motley Crue, right? That's representative?"

I learned that it is "Stuf" instead of "Stuft" on the Oreo clue.

Congrats on your appearance on the show Barbara. You said you're being critical of yourself but watching from home you looked like you did a good job. Jason is a tough opponent. It was fun to watch.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

As you could probably guess from my TD's, I don't know anything about heavy metal. I managed to come up with Motley Crue for Vince Neil. That must be some kind of pavlov. I also knew Dee Snider was with Twisted Sister but not because of anything he'd ever done musically. I remember him from testifying before the US Senate in 1985.

The first witness was John Denver and several of the Senators mentioned that they were fans of his music, including Senator Al Gore. The second witness was Frank Zappa and Gore made a point of telling him said he was a fan of his music. Another Senator looked completely bemused and didn't know who Zappa was. Gore said obviously that Senator had never heard of the Mothers of Invention. Then dee-snider came out just looking not at all professional, looking like some kind of madman. The first thing he said was well Senator Gore I suppose you're going to tell me you're a fan of mine. Gore said no, he wasn't.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:49 pm Ran the Spanish and Brand Name categories, along with Metaphors in DJ!

Saw no way to figure out Nixon in Career for $400.
Only two men have held all four elective federal Offices (president vice president Senator representative): Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. The clue listed all four offices and said he was from California.
Leah wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Why would I know this? My father, the composer Bernard Green, wrote the music for the radio show which was used on radio and in
I think he also wrote the theme to the 1970's kids show make a wish
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats, MQM!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Thank you writers for the shoutouts! They made my day! :D

(Huh? Those clues weren't written with me in mind? Don't be silly, of course they were...)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 am As you could probably guess from my TD's, I don't know anything about heavy metal. I managed to come up with Motley Crue for Vince Neil. That must be some kind of pavlov. I also knew Dee Snider was with Twisted Sister but not because of anything he'd ever done musically. I remember him from testifying before the US Senate in 1985.
I knew Dee Snider = Twisted Sister and "We're Not Gonna Take It" = Twisted SIster, but I briefly misread "Dee Snider" as "Dee Dee Ramone". This caused my brain to go off course and guess... Quiet Riot. Oops.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

What an amazing turnaround from our champ Jason! I was worried today would prove to be his fate after a rather subpar Jeopardy round performance, but he turned everything around in Double Jeopardy with that all-in wager. Well done to him and I hope he officially breaks the $400K barrier tomorrow!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Like Jason, I whiffed on chromosphere. As for FJ!, I've never seen/read The Maltese Falcon, but I know Hammett wrote The Thin Man, so I figured he was likely to have had a character named "Fat Man." Certainly more likely than "Little Boy."
Sprinkles are for winners.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

John Boy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 pmHowever, the "black bird" weapon was the stealth bomber not produced until decades after 1945....
Not quite. Blackbird was the SR-71 plane that flew much farther above earth than previous reconnaissance planes, but I don't think it employed stealth technology (which iirc was introduced in the 1980s), it wasn't a bomber, and it was introduced in the 1960s.
In and out of the pool four times
yclept

Post by yclept »

Not that I expected anything different, but great situational awareness by Jason with that big DD bet in DJ. I wonder if that completely demoralized his opponents because they were matching (and even bettering) him on the buzzer prior to that.

He obviously wasn’t paying much attention to his grand total because he obviously would have at least gone for the $400K plateau you would think.

No, that is not a “leave money on the table” criticism because I don’t get the criticism. He has a number he is comfortable with losing in his head and the category plays a role in how much of his cash he is willing to put at stake. Losing some money in FJ recently may have told him to go more conservative today in addition to the rather broad category.

He really is Jeopardy star that came out of nowhere - a bit like Julia in that regard. Just steadily builds up his score and dares you to try to make FJ important.

That is definitely a James influence - the more that contestants understand that the goal is to take the variance out of FJ, the more risky they will be to make that happen.