Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by HugoZ »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I have some 1980s Spanish Garfield books that are just dreadfully translated. I think my favorite is "I ate a Milk Dud and kissed a cat" becoming "I hate spoiled milk and kissing cats."
I have a German Garfield book from about that time around here somewhere. Going to have to check and see if that one is in there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

HugoZ wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I have some 1980s Spanish Garfield books that are just dreadfully translated. I think my favorite is "I ate a Milk Dud and kissed a cat" becoming "I hate spoiled milk and kissing cats."
I have a German Garfield book from about that time around here somewhere. Going to have to check and see if that one is in there.
The strip was from late 1978, but the book is dated 1981. I also have the Spanish version of Garfield Makes It Big (strips from late '83-early '84) that has some real stinkers. I can't find it right now, but some ones I remember:

* Garfield's stuck up a tree, saying "But at least I'm on a sturdy limb." Even though he's clearly pointing to the tree branch he's standing on, they translated it as "At least I haven't broken a leg."
* "They say the pet alligators that are flushed into the sewers grow to huge proportions" became "They say that there are enormous crocodiles."
* In this strip, Garfield's last line was changed to "And it's likely to happen again!"
* In one, Garfield says, "Wait a minute, I have [an idea]!" while snapping his fingers with a "snap" sound effect, followed by him sleeping in the next panel. Somehow, they didn't see the "S" and translated it as "a nap", as if the sound effect were part of the dialogue.
* In one strip, "dirty magazine" was translated literally to "a dirty old magazine" (i.e., the "unwashed" kind of dirty).
* Another one didn't understand that "Good Humor" is a brand of ice cream, so a reference to "Good Humor man" became a reference to a friendly/sympathetic man.

Regarding that last two, I know Jim Davis has said that he now tries to avoid American-centric references so that the strip can be marketed better in foreign countries. You may notice that Garfield doesn't use wordplay or lean heavily on topical humor.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I paused the DVR and laughed when I saw the Wheel of Time clue. Anybody else know who Brandon Sanderson's college roommate was?
Spoiler
Ken Jennings. No lie. :D
And I always enjoy it when they mention my trench or my islands. (they spell it wrong, but I forgive them for that.) For FJ, I guessed correctly, but was not super confident that it actually touched China. Glad it did!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mam418 wrote: (they spell it wrong, but I forgive them for that.)
You mean the way Bryan Adams spells his name wrong?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I don't know about anybody else, but just the thought of "Lobster" anywhere near "Hummer" makes me wince...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nm
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

bpmod wrote:
mam418 wrote: (they spell it wrong, but I forgive them for that.)
You mean the way Bryan Adams spells his name wrong?

Brian
Precisely. :D
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Random: I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever seen Alex hug someone. :P
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

davey wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but just the thought of "Lobster" anywhere near "Hummer" makes me wince...
That reminded me to check something.
Now, I took 4 years of HS French and 3 semesters in college. I got dang near fluent in it in the early 80s, and retain enough to carry on a conversation in a pinch (in 1981 a couple was trying to scam a free pass to the summer Jazz Festival but my bilingualism foiled their evil deed, but that's a whole 'nother story) and much more recently I was able to help two Québécois with directions to their niece's house in the next town over).

So with all that set up, where was I going? Oh... what's the French word for lobster?
I could not dredge it up. So I caved, looked it up, ready to say Ohhhh yeahhhh!
"Homard"
Nope. Nuttin. I do not think it's a matter of known once but forgotten. It's a never known.
Not enough French menus in my life, I guess.
I'm wondering-- had I known homard, would that even have triggered hummer=lobster ? I'm not so sure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And the Spanish word is langosta, so that helped me not in the least.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And the Spanish word is langosta, so that helped me not in the least.
actually, that's "locust." (Latin for both lobster and locust was locusta) Lobster = "langosta de mar." (looked up that and Italian (aragosta) when I checked French.)

Wonder why the romance-language French word sounds more like the German word than the two Romance language words?

In any event, I guess what you really had to know was the scientific classification of the genus (Homarusto) see the TOM getting you to hummer=lobster.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Paucle wrote:
davey wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but just the thought of "Lobster" anywhere near "Hummer" makes me wince...

So with all that set up, where was I going? Oh... what's the French word for lobster?
I could not dredge it up. So I caved, looked it up, ready to say Ohhhh yeahhhh!
"Homard"
Nope. Nuttin. I do not think it's a matter of known once but forgotten. It's a never known.
Not enough French menus in my life, I guess.
I'm wondering-- had I known homard, would that even have triggered hummer=lobster ? I'm not so sure.
I knew homard=lobster from watching the original Iron Chef, but no way was I pulling the trigger on hummer.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote: You may notice that Garfield doesn't use wordplay or lean heavily on humor.
fyp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: You may notice that Garfield doesn't use wordplay or lean heavily on humor.
fyp
We're bachelors, baby.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote:Congrats to Monica. I enjoy someone from a lesser known school punking the fancy pants universities. And to think, I used to get the North Texas Mean Green confused with the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. Same colors, perhaps.

Almost muffed the Final, as I fixated on Bhutan pretty quickly, before recalling the Wakhan Corridor.
And speaking of corridors/funky borders, there's a good piece in today's NYT about the border between North Korea, China, and Russia:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... an-trivia/

And if you've never seen it, the wonderful movie Dersu Uzala took place this in this general area.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:And if you've never seen it, the wonderful movie Dersu Uzala took place this in this general area.
But if I have seen it, it took place elsewhere?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:And if you've never seen it, the wonderful movie Dersu Uzala took place this in this general area.
But if I have seen it, it took place elsewhere?
hey, that's my retort!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dersu Uzala is a wonderful movie. If you have never seen it, you should do so. The movie took place in the general area discussed in this article. Brian has earned five penalty points. You may not see him around here very often in the future.

There. Better?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Welcome to JBoard.tv, where we enforce a much higher standard. :mrgreen:

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.