Thursday, September 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TOYS & GAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Invented in 1974 as a model to teach 3-D problems, it became one of the bestselling toys of all time

Jason Zuffranieri: 16800+2000=18800 (15x = $418,343)
Nilla Sivakumar: 3400-3270=130
Adam Clark: 6667-134=6533

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rubik’s Cube (Nilla – Play-doh) (Adam – Lego)

Daily Doubles
Nilla: 200-1000
Adam: 9000-4133
Adam: 8867-5000

Coryats
Jason: 16800
Nilla: 4400
Adam: 15800

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 8400
Nilla: minus 200
Adam: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks Alex for clarifying where to find the Andes Mountain. In South America. Good to know.

The Gladwell clue reminded me that the author has a new book out, Talking to Strangers.

I'm not surprised that the explorer clue in FERDINAND had a bite for negging with Magellan.

TOYS & GAMES is what I like to see to get to 50% for the week on Thursday after missing the M & T clues. I had no doubts or detours and spent think time expecting less that 3/3 though not having an instinct what would show up for a miss. The challengers guessed something which I prefer over the less fun, "What is ?" with no guess.

Jason has shown there is more than one way to win a game. Opponents going 0/3 on DDs and Jason picking top...box...clues to end the DJ! round set up the runaway.

The money total got him past Matt & Austin though shy of David and Julia. I like it that the jumps are incremental leading to potential level jumps each day.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:33 am Thanks Alex for clarifying where to find the Andes Mountain. In South America. Good to know.
In discussing the General San Martin statue on Central Park South, an Argentine once told me that every statue on earth of said person has him pointing toward the Andes. So that's another clue, if you're not sure.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Magellan" was MONSTROUS negbait when spotted "blah blah blah EXPLORER blah blah FERDINAND."

Megan Rapinoe was utterly familiar to me in the top box, but somehow I got the next three.

What was the TOM for Chicago on Hull House for $200? New York seemed like a far more cromulent guess on a big city known for immigrants.

I mentally WAGged (didn't "ring in") on "In the Ocean" and was wrong all four times. How is that possible?

NHO any of the books in One-Word Book Titles or Geography Movies. "Blink" seemed very obscure for $400.

I had a terrible time in DJ! with only 5 right.

This was a very obtuse FJ! Rubik's Cube just didn't seem to fit "3D problems" whatsoever, nor have I ever thought of it as a toy or game. LEGO seemed a far better choice and I was floored when it was wrong.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:29 pm

What was the TOM for Chicago on Hull House for $200? New York seemed like a far more cromulent guess on a big city known for immigrants.

This was a very obtuse FJ! Rubik's Cube just didn't seem to fit "3D problems" whatsoever, nor have I ever thought of it as a toy or game. LEGO seemed a far better choice and I was floored when it was wrong.
The street in the Hull House clue is a well known Chicago street.

LEGO is a lot older than 1974.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

The money total got him past Matt & Austin though shy of David and Julia. I like it that the jumps are incremental leading to potential level jumps each day.
If he wins big tomorrow by means of a runaway game and not missing FJ!, then he'll surpass both Julia and David; and he would become the third-highest money winner in regular play behind only Ken and James. As far as number of games won, he's only five shy of Julia and would need to win 17 to tie James. But who knows how far he will go. There is the possibility of him surpassing James for the second-longest winning streak, but that is tough feat to accomplish.

If he does get to 30+ wins, he would also become the third player to win $1M in regular play; I am sure it would take him just as long as it took Ken to reach the $1M mark should he get that far.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 pmThe street in the Hull House clue is a well known Chicago street.
[citation needed]

"Halsted Street" has zero Archive hits.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:29 pm
No TOM, at least not in my case. I simply accessed my personal memory banks and recalled reading of Jane Addams and Hull House in Chicago in junior high history class, and then several times in subsequent history classes.

I thought Rubik's Cube was invented later, but what do I know? It seemed to fit the bill (3-D toy, very popular), so that's what I went with.

Only LT of the night on cross-ventilation, but Suez Canal and Centennial (both DD misses) were both instagets.

Yeah, Jason seems pretty good.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was on track to run BRITISH NICKNAMES but they left the two easiest clues uncovered. I wasn't surprised William Caxton was a TS. If that clue makes the poll (not a request, but maybe a suggestion) I'll be interested to see the results. I was surprised by the TS on the GF in GFCI. That's the other clue in this game that might be interesting to poll.

I remember reading that factoid about Rubik's Cube at some point, but it just didn't click tonight. 1974 put me in the wrong time frame. I knew it took a while for the cube to come to America (and thus to my attention) in 1980. But I'm not sure if I knew it was quite that long. Still, if I'd thought of it, I'd have liked it better than my other two thoughts--Lego and Tinker Toys. I knew both were much too early for the clue. But lacking any better thoughts, I went with Tinker Toys, which debuted in 1915 rather than Lego, which debuted in 1949. Oh well.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I too went with Tinker Toys even though I was 99% certain they were around in the '50s (didn't Watson and Crick use them to discover the structure of DNA)?

You could've spotted me the fact that the cube was invented in '74 and I still would've discounted that since I would have been too drawn to construction toys by the clue language about "3-D problems".
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:29 pm "Magellan" was MONSTROUS negbait when spotted "blah blah blah EXPLORER blah blah FERDINAND."
"...his 4th voyage in 1502" is not "blah blah blah".
Not every clue has a TOM. Sometimes you just have to know things, like Hull House being in Chicago.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm
Leander wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 pmThe street in the Hull House clue is a well known Chicago street.
[citation needed]

I wouldn’t say it was a slam dunk TOM, but it was the TOM in the clue. It is one of the major north/south street in downtown Chicago, whether it’s in the archive or not.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 pm
[citation needed]

I wouldn’t say it was a slam dunk TOM, but it was the TOM in the clue. It is one of the major north/south street in downtown Chicago, whether it’s in the archive or not.
Then it's a very poor TOM. "You just have to know things" is a poor excuse and just seems like a way to weasel out of a bad clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 pm
Leander wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 pm
[citation needed]

Then it's a very poor TOM. "You just have to know things" is a poor excuse and just seems like a way to weasel out of a bad clue.
It is in fact a game of knowledge. Sometimes you do indeed have to know things. Your incessant petulant whining about TOMs doesn't change this.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

This game definitely would've been interesting had Adam answered both of his daily doubles correctly. We've never seen Jason wager from 2nd place before, so it would've been kinda cool to see what kind of move he would've made.

Overall, though, this game I think is a fine exemplar of how great Jason is. Even without uncovering all 3 DD's, he still had a runaway game, and that is an impressive thing for a champ to do.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got the impression from the Columbus clue that "Ferdinand" in its text satisfied the category name, and that I should go elsewhere; the fact that Ferdinand and Isabella bankrolled Columbus's voyages made him an easy candidate for naming his son Ferdinand.

I just heard in a podcast in the last week or so about Caxton bringing the printing press to England and thought I should remember that name. That was satisfying.

When the Hull House category was revealed, I said, "Who is Jane Addams? What is Chicago?" I wasn't familiar with the street in the $200 clue, but clearly one needn't have been.

I ran ONE-WORD BOOK TITLES, more or less guessing on Neuromancer and Centennial.

I said "multitasking" on the WE INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS DD ("toggling"), which I rule close but no cigar; I gladly welcome suggestions to the contrary.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Imagine my surprise when I saw this bit of news
Screenshot_2019-03-03-10-54-56-1.png
Screenshot_2019-03-03-10-54-56-1.png (13.51 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
The challenger just couldn't make it happen on the critical Clues. If only he'd put as much thought into the Daily Double answers as he did into the silly bet amounts. It wouldn't have mattered in the end because Jason knew Final and he didn't. So once again a mega champ succeeds because one Challenger just couldn't get it and the other Challenger really couldn't get it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

I was surprised FJ! wasn't a triple-get. "Extremely popular 3-D toy invented in the mid-70s" screams Rubik's Cube to me.
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:42 pm Overall, though, this game I think is a fine exemplar of how great Jason is. Even without uncovering all 3 DD's, he still had a runaway game, and that is an impressive thing for a champ to do.
I agree that Jason is a great champ, but in this game his opponents finding all of the DDs played to his advantage given that they missed all three. Had he scored a runaway in spite of his challengers having found and converted all three DDs, that would indeed be a feat.
Sprinkles are for winners.