Monday, September 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

The only negative about Jason’s streak is that we still don’t have an answer to the “Will future players adapt James’ strategy?” question.

This was one of those overwhelming “they have no chance in heck to beat him” games. I was surprised by his relatively modest first DD wager. He must have recognized quickly that he had a big buzzer advantage, which would make me think he wouldn’t worry about losing more in that spot. In the end, it didn’t matter.

Julia’s 20-game streak seemed pretty comfortable to hang onto the #2 slot. Now it is in danger of falling to #4 in a relatively short period of time.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

With "Musical Theater", I thought FJ would be in my personal wheelhouse, but "Inspirations" made me a little nervous. Couldn't think of any good precalls, and was worried that it would be obscure.

Given that I had literally gone to the movies two weeks ago to see a documentary on Fiddler on the Roof ("Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles") because I have tickets to see the revival on tour in March, I should have been able to crush this. In retrospect, I'm 95% sure that the documentary made reference to the Chagall.

But no. I had a bit of interference - I was stuck on the fact that "_____ in the Park with George" was based on a painting. I couldn't remember the artist, but I wasn't really too concerned about that - I spent 30 seconds flip-flopping between "Sunday" and "Friday", for some reason. But, for the record, the "George" was Georges Seurat (and his descendant George), who's actually a character in the musical, along with a woman appropriately named Dot.

To further complicate things, Mandy Patinkin was in the 1984 Broadway production of "Sunday in Park with George", and hasn't ever been in "Fiddler" from a quick search...which seems weird to me, as I don't see how he could have avoided playing Teyve all these years.

So, here's a personal cheat sheet for me:

Fiddler: Chagall, mid 60s, matchmaker, rich man, tradition, sunrise/sunset, produced by Harold Prince, music by Jerry Bock, movie version directed by Jewison starring Topol.

Sunday in the Park with George: mid 80s, Seurat, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, pointillism, Sondheim, "George and Dot".

In fact, a quick search in the DB shows at least 17 clues with Sunday in the Park. Virtually all of them involve the painting or Patinkin. "Dot" would be an interesting FJ connecting clue.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm
Fiddler: Chagall, mid 60s, matchmaker, rich man, tradition, sunrise/sunset, produced by Harold Prince, music by Jerry Bock, movie version directed by Jewison starring Topol.
If you're going to mention Jerry Bock's music, it's only right to add Sheldon Harnick, who wrote the memorable words...
davey

Post by davey »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 am
davey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 am
econgator wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 am TIL that America's Cup is named after a boat rather than a country. That was a nasty DD, particularly in the second box.
Odd. I thought that was fairly common knowledge.
I think I learned it from Jeopardy! (most recently 12/24/2013)...
The most surprising thing about FJ to me was Jason's apparent lack of confidence in his response... :roll:

I thought the same thing at first about Jason’s lack of confidence in his answer but I realized he shook his head because Alex asked if Jason would surpass the $500,000 mark with his answer.
He also threw up his hands before Alex made that remark and jumped with a start after when Alex told him he was right.
Last edited by davey on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm With "Musical Theater", I thought FJ would be in my personal wheelhouse, but "Inspirations" made me a little nervous. Couldn't think of any good precalls, and was worried that it would be obscure.

Given that I had literally gone to the movies two weeks ago to see a documentary on Fiddler on the Roof ("Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles") because I have tickets to see the revival on tour in March, I should have been able to crush this. In retrospect, I'm 95% sure that the documentary made reference to the Chagall.
Fiddler was an instaget with high-fives for us. We saw the Yiddish-language revival in its original off-off-Broadway run. If that's the one you mean, you are going to love it. I speak very little Yiddish and my wife not a word, but the supertitles work well and you know the words to the songs anyway. We also saw the Chagall retrospective at the Met.
Now, how did I not get the Bonhomme Richard? I had the USS Constitution. And worse, how did I not get Sgt. Pepper?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:43 am the picture they used of hilary duff was nothing like i remember her looking like
My wife and I both agree. She said something like "oh, I guess she has a new face now..."
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:26 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm With "Musical Theater", I thought FJ would be in my personal wheelhouse, but "Inspirations" made me a little nervous. Couldn't think of any good precalls, and was worried that it would be obscure.

Fiddler was an instaget with high-fives for us. We saw the Yiddish-language revival in its original off-off-Broadway run. If that's the one you mean, you are going to love it. I speak very little Yiddish and my wife not a word, but the supertitles work well and you know the words to the songs anyway. We also saw the Chagall retrospective at the Met.
Now, how did I not get the Bonhomme Richard? I had the USS Constitution. And worse, how did I not get Sgt. Pepper?
No, Fiddler's got a revival on a national tour, and it's coming to Boston (my locale) in March. I've neither seen it nor the movie - weird, I know, since I'm a Broadway fan, but my knowledge tends to gradually fade around the time of "Hair". The documentary I saw actually had interviews of the cast from both the recent English and Yiddish revivals in New York.

I actually toyed with the idea of seeing the Yiddish Fiddler since I'm going to NYC in October - but since I'm finally seeing Fiddler this coming March, it's a little low on my list of wants at the TKTS booth. I tend to like breadth over depth. I'm cheap - I might just wind up seeing Colbert if I get off the waitlist.

I'm happy that I got the MBS Lach Trash..I'm generally pretty bad at triple stumpers. Okay, I said out loud "Who is MBS?" first and not "Mohammad bin Salman", but I said the full name right after, so if I'd been BMS'ed, I'd be okay. The phrasing of the clue makes me think that the initials wouldn't be ruled wrong immediately - they even say "often known by his initials", and initials are acceptable for some common figures, like a recent "Kennedy, (bms), JFK" response.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R (Missed Busker and Recent Events Quiz $400 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Guernica, Oranges, Peruke, (America), Mohammad bin Salman, Hillary Duff, Giverny
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 am
mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm I had no idea what to even guess for FJ, so just picked a random show from that time period, and was wrong. This highlighted a clear gap in my knowledge...
Don't be hard on yourself. This is hardly an area of knowledge most would be expected to have, even aspiring J! contestants. Pretty darned obscure, in fact.

To me "a clear gap in my knowledge" is when they present a clue about presidents or world history and you have to "pick a random " president or event. Yeah, that tells me to go brush up on that before I become a contestant.

In this case I can hardly imagine anyone thinking "I've gotta brush up on" this category as it's unlikely ever to be used again.

BTW I had the same impression and same blank. I strained to think of a show from that period and WAGGED Camelot. You?

In hindsight, if I had the knowledge, this was gettable from a few different angles. I guessed Bye Bye Birdie, hoping that there was a Chagall painting that had a bird in it (ideally one that was flying away :lol: )

This prompted me to learn more about Fiddler and Chagall, and that's a good thing.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm
If you're going to mention Jerry Bock's music, it's only right to add Sheldon Harnick, who wrote the memorable words...
Thank you!
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 pm
davey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm
Thank you!
...and Harnick is the only one of the creators who remains with us!