Tuesday, September 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1862 Morrill Act gave states federal acreage to sell for school funds, leading to the creation of 69 of these

Jason Zuffranieri: 27600+2400=30000 (18x = $502,096)
Karen Bland: 2200+200=2400
Ian Torres: 12200-1337=10863

Correct response:
Spoiler
land-grant universities (colleges) (Ian – agric charter universities)
Daily Doubles
Jason: 6000+3000
Jason: 15000-4000
Jason: 14600+3000

Coryats
Jason: 28000
Karen: 2200
Ian: 12200

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 12200
Karen: 1800
Ian: 2200
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Awkward interview alert as Alex thought perhaps Ian did well in THE PHYSICS OF TAEKWONDO category for maybe knowing taekwondo and Ian had to gently let Alex know it was more knowledge of physics although Ian did mention having taken karate when he was younger.

Jason may need to do some brushing up in the early 1800s history area as he had the wrong president for the Friday FJ! clue and today did not know what to do with 1804 and DD2.

Jason was fine with later 1800s and the FJ! clue to notch victory #18, one shy of David Madden's total. Money-wise Jason going over the $500K level put him in the top 10 when combining all sources of J! money won, and for Jason, without the benefit of any tourney play yet.

The FJ! clue was not for me as the Morrill Act meant nothing to me. Only to avoid a blank page I scribbled "nat'l parks" over my other no chance thought of "football fields."

The Archive has little history of the Act with:
Spoiler

#6101, aired 2011-03-07 THE IVY LEAGUE $1000: This "Big Red" school was partly endowed by the Morrill Act of 1862
#802, aired 1988-02-16 COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $400: A land-grant college must, by the Morrill Act of 1862, offer courses in the mechanical arts & this
#504, aired 1986-11-13 UNIVERSITIES $600: The Morrill Act of 1862 provided land grants to support colleges that emphasized these "A & M" fields
Not enough repetition to help me even with some other scattered clues that name various places of higher learning associated with the correct response.

Nice by the players to make it 2/3.

Jason had a little cushion on the lock though Ian was trying to make the FJ! round matter even without the benefit of any DDs played. It will be a tough break for those who like long streaks if Jason loses by underbetting DDs in the wrong spot.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

After some comparatively tricky FJs so far this season, this was about as straightforward as it gets. It should almost go in the Pavlov thread that Morrill Act=
Spoiler
college
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said land grant colleges, which I assume is kosher.

I knew it because my dad was proud of his alma mater (Kansas State) being the first such university.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am After some comparatively tricky FJs so far this season, this was about as straightforward as it gets. It should almost go in the Pavlov thread that Morrill Act=
Spoiler
college
Agreed, IMHO this was straightforward enough to be a regular toss-up clue. Pretty much YKIOYD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6423

Ugh, that Taekwondo category was a lot to input even with using the closed-captions. I took a guess on which kind of file to name them and how to divide the 2-3 parts each clue had.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:30 pm I said land grant colleges, which I assume is kosher.
I hope "land-grant schools" is equally kosher.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am Awkward interview alert as Alex thought perhaps Ian did well in THE PHYSICS OF TAEKWONDO category for maybe knowing taekwondo and Ian had to gently let Alex know it was more knowledge of physics although Ian did mention having taken karate when he was younger.
Alex didn't want to stereotype Ian by assuming he knew a lot about physics. :D
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am Awkward interview alert as Alex thought perhaps Ian did well in THE PHYSICS OF TAEKWONDO category for maybe knowing taekwondo and Ian had to gently let Alex know it was more knowledge of physics although Ian did mention having taken karate when he was younger.
I thought Jason's interview was awkward as Alex asked exact same question few games (?) ago - with similar response by Jason.

Is iAN an Apple aficionado?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

The torque question threw me for a loop, because they referred to it as "rotational force".... torque didn't even cross my mind as a force, because it has units of Newton meters (as opposed to a true force, which is in Newtons).

But I looked it up, and indeed, torque is referred to colloquially as "rotational force"... you live, you learn...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Land Down Under was unusually granular for a geography category. Didn't help that I totally forgot what Suriname even is.

For some reason I always blank on the countries of Central America.

What was the TOM for Shakespeare on Festivals for $200?

NHO "Cadet Corps" or "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones.

Blanked on "chiropractor" to end up 4/5 in Word Origins. Also got all but $2,000 in Ted.

Got the Burr DD right, too.

The clue spelled it out pretty blatantly, but I can't say I've heard the term "land grant university' before so I was completely sunk here. Can I just get a freaking clue RIGHT already?!
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm The clue spelled it out pretty blatantly, but I can't say I've heard the term "land grant university' before so I was completely sunk here. Can I just get a freaking clue RIGHT already?!
Most states have a land-grant school. It’s usually the school that has “State” in its name and has an ag program. So in your case, it’s Michigan State. Note that it’s not always ___ State, like in Indiana, where it’s Purdue or New York where it’s Cornell.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Shakespeare on Festivals
Stratford.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,600
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Aaron Burr (DD)

Today in eerie coincidences: this morning, my wife and I were in the car when "Don't Know Why" came on the radio. My wife proceeded to remind me of the Norah Jones concert I took her to for her birthday several years ago, and how Ms. Jones told us of her great relief at singing the correct lyrics to that song since she always wants to sing the Sesame Street version, "I don't know why Y didn't come."
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Norah Jones seemed like a weird pick for the top box. I WAGed that she didn't know "U" which seemed to fit just as clearly.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I thought I was on my way to a decent Coryat for me - picked up $8600 in the first round, and that wasn't even including the $1000 for guessing but not ringing in with "Gen"oa, which I definitely would have guessed if there were no penalty (ie qualification test). Maybe I should "ring in" more, especially in those quotation-marked categories....but DJ! killed me with two bad ring-ins.

I got creamed in DJ!, with no ring-ins on Who Are They (probably would have got "bronies" given extra time), and being strict and penalizing myself for ringing in and guessing "Wall Street" instead of "NYSE" for the 11/1/1929 headline about the "even keel". I guess that would be a wrong answer and not a BMS in real play? Dunno if I could have come up with "NYSE" in the additional BMS time, but probably would have. I also had another $2400 negative swing because my Spanish is a bit rusty, and I mixed up Bert and Ernie in the heat of the moment, so "patito" became "pigeon" (Bert's obsession) in my mind instead of a (rubber) "duck".

I actually got less money in DJ, bringing my total to a mere $15K.

FJ was a total bust. I'd never heard of land-grant universities. I tried to shoehorn in a TOM with the year of 1862, but HBCU was the only thing I could think of, and it was about 3 years before the end of the Civil War, and about 100 years before the Civil Rights Movement. "Agricultural" was a much better (yet still wrong) guess. Lesson: Not every FJ has a TOM.
davey

Post by davey »

I just read an article about the music of Sesame Street that included Norah Jones...not that I remembered it well enough to succeed with the clue... :roll:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/arts ... rsary.html
I guess I don't know the difference between "rotational momentum" and "rotational force"...so I said torque for the first and clammed for the second... :oops:
Since it was in the middle of the Civil War, I kind of like my FJ response of HBCUs, historically black colleges and universities. I suppose it would have been premature, the Emancipation Proclamation still months away, and many of them being in the South, and all... :oops: But there are over 100 of them, so the number was not outrageous. I've never given much though to land grant colleges, I must admit...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:30 pm I said land grant colleges, which I assume is kosher.

I knew it because my dad was proud of his alma mater (Kansas State) being the first such university.
Michigan State also claims the title of "first land-grant college," but it was a state land-grant rather than Federal. Both MSU and Penn State were founded in 1855 with land-grants from their respective states.