Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm The mistake only cost him a maximum of $7200 if you compound the $1800 through two DJ! DDs - and that's only if he found both DJ! DDs (unlikely), AND he was forced (or chose) to go all-in for both.
"Only...$7200" in a game of J! is a huge deal. More to the point, he missed out on $1800 in a game where he ended up only $1900 short of breaking Jason's lock. Obviously, we don't know how the rest of the game would have gone, but that's potentially very significant.
True, but my real point was the compounding only happens if you get both DJ! DDs. All things being equal, that's a 1 in 9 shot at most, and...well, even against a 1x champ it's probably going to be less than that for most challengers. But I suppose you do have to assume that you're not "most challengers" if you're going to win. (And besides that, the compounding's only relevant if, on the second or third DD, you're betting more than you could have without the extra $1800.)

I'm not saying it was a smart move - especially given the category, it wasn't. I was saying it was probably more of a deer-in-headlights decision.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I've already decided way in advance that if I ever get on the show and have to beat a superchamp to keep playing, I'm going all in on any and every DD I find unless there's a pretty good reason not to (e.g., two clues left and I have a runaway)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am Pele helped me dismiss Old Faithful
Also Old Faithful doesn't sputter "fire"
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Here's one small twist to a question that you might not have noticed, but shows how detailed the writers and researchers can be.

One clue was "You can take the T to Logan from State Street Station in this city". As I live in Boston, Logan was a gimmie for me...but as someone mentioned on another unrelated-to-J! board I frequent, nobody ever calls it State Street -STATION-. It's "State Street" in local parlance and on all the MBTA maps.

So, why the extra word? A quick Google shows the address of the station named "State Street" is, in fact, 200 Washington Street. So you can't take the T to Logan from State Street - you take it from Washington Street. The word "station" also cements the idea that the T is some type of railway, giving two paths to the name of the city: either knowing where Logan is, or which city has "the T" as its subway system.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ruben, Horn, Endangered Species, Federalist Party
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Europe on Conventions for $400?
"Free movement across a continent, starting in the '90s" describes a significant component of European Union membership. Also, "sch" is a common component of German, so it was likely to be the name of a European city as opposed to one on another continent.
In English please?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:45 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Europe on Conventions for $400?
"Free movement across a continent, starting in the '90s" describes a significant component of European Union membership. Also, "sch" is a common component of German, so it was likely to be the name of a European city as opposed to one on another continent.
In English please?
Fairly painless international travel.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 pm
In English please?
That still seems like an extremely vague and opaque clue with "sch" being the only real TOM.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 pm
In English please?
That still seems like an extremely vague and opaque clue with "sch" being the only real TOM.
It's been in the news a lot lately because of Brexit. Pay attention to the world around you.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pmFor the Asclepius/Caduceus question, I said "Who is Mercury?" instead of "Hermes" - what's your ruling?
Same here, and ruled myself correct.