Friday, September 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, September 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but "shrimp" in Imp, all but bridge in Winnie-the-Pooh.

"Sleeping car porters" gets a BMS? Yeah, whatever.

NHO "Flinty" or "state of lather". Poll request on the former.

Lach Trash: "very little brain", Tigger, Stone of Scone

No guess on FJ! I seem to have this weird mental block in thinking that Oscar Wilde was American. Had absolutely no idea what to even put down.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The quote in FJ was "witty" which was the TOM for Wilde.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I Pavloved from Irish to Yeats, then proceeded to unpack the clue: Irish-born + outcast + 1898 ---> Wilde
    • Keats and Yeats are on your side
      But you lose
      'Cause weird lover Wilde is on mine
    I met Gabe at Trivia Nationals, he told me he was gonna be on Jeopardy!, and I just knew...
    This Is Kirk!
    Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I chose Wilde due to the "outcast" thing, but I wasn't very confident since I wasn't sure he wrote poetry.
    xxaaaxx
    Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:39 pm I Pavloved from Irish to Yeats, then proceeded to unpack the clue: Irish-born + outcast + 1898 ---> Wilde
    Ditto. I'm annoyed that I couldn't clear the cobwebs in time to remember that it was from The Ballad of Reading Gaol specifically, but a get is a get.

So we lost a 19-day champ to a one-and-done. Bleargh. The transition from fun to watch multiday champs back to the one day champ carousel is always the crappiest part of the show, so hopefully Laurel will stick around.

Why were we getting LTaM warnings with so many clues left? It wasn't that slow of a game.
    CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:49 am
    morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:39 pm I Pavloved from Irish to Yeats, then proceeded to unpack the clue: Irish-born + outcast + 1898 ---> Wilde
    Ditto. I'm annoyed that I couldn't clear the cobwebs in time to remember that it was from The Ballad of Reading Gaol specifically, but a get is a get.

So we lost a 19-day champ to a one-and-done. Bleargh. The transition from fun to watch multiday champs back to the one day champ carousel is always the crappiest part of the show, so hopefully Laurel will stick around.

Why were we getting LTaM warnings with so many clues left? It wasn't that slow of a game.
    i disagree...i find it more fun watching one and doners...i am not a fan of dynasties
    BigDaddyMatty
    Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 22,600
    36 R/2 W
    DD: 2/3
    FJ: :(
    LT: The Uffizi, Irish whiskey, brain, Tigger, Stone of Scone, lather

Worst game I've had in a long time. I cruised through the J! round, but DJ! crushed me (13R, 2W). It was also the second night in a row where I would have benefited from analyzing the FJ! clue a bit more deeply. I was between Yeats and Wilde, and "outcast" should have pushed me to the latter. Congrats to the new champ on a good game and a sole solve.
    Sprinkles are for winners.
    alietr
    Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:08 pm
    MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm That makes 15 games this season with no 3/3 sweep by the contestants? cheezguyty: How many more games for the record?
    Season 33 didn't have a triple get until the 21st game. Seasons 3 and 5 may have gone even longer. There is not a triple get among the first 29 archived FJs for Season 3 (of course, there are still many games missing from that stretch).

The longest overall run of games I could find without a 3/3 on FJ is the 36 regular games between October 23 and December 25, 2012.
    After all these years, I am compelled to ask: How do you do this?
    talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Went with the Joyce distractor on FJ hesitantly - my sixth sense on timing seems to have returned after thinking the WTC was opened in the 1960's on Thursday. I put Joyce down knowing that 1898 sounded just a little too early. Ultimately, it was - Joyce was born in 1882, so he would have been 16. No doubt he might have been a child prodigy, but his published bibliography didn't start until 1907. I honestly couldn't think of another Irish poet besides Yeats, since I didn't know Wilde was Irish. I always put Wilde as British for some reason - that's 100% on me.

Anyone else say "froth" for "This word for the foam formed by soap in water can also mean a state of being upset"? I counted myself wrong on it, and I think I deserve the loss according to J! judges, but it's a bit of a stinker of a clue. Although they did say "word" and not "phrase" - you really have to have the whole phrase "froth at the mouth" to get the definition of angry - and, of course, "angry" is slightly different than "upset".
    twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:23 am
    Anyone else say "froth" for "This word for the foam formed by soap in water can also mean a state of being upset"? I counted myself wrong on it, and I think I deserve the loss according to J! judges, but it's a bit of a stinker of a clue. Although they did say "word" and not "phrase" - you really have to have the whole phrase "froth at the mouth" to get the definition of angry - and, of course, "angry" is slightly different than "upset".
    I also went with "frothy" - I generally don't worry about matching the exact part of speech when the clue syntax is mangled. I don't think it is any less stand-alone than "lather", you can get "lathered" up, but generally you are "worked into a lather" unless it is already clear that you aren't talking about hygiene. I think "froth" or "frothy" would likely be accepted if there was a commercial break for the judges to deliberate over it.

I don't know who Yeats is, and only know Wilde as the famous sodomite (or whatever). Sometimes it's easy to forget we have made social progress, even 50 years after Stonewall.
    Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
    morbeedo
    Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I just couldn't get there on that DD3. Of course I know the expression, "dyed in the wool", but I guess I was looking for a single word to fit the clue and couldn't get past obdurate, which made no sense. Needed more time!

My 2 cents on Gabe - it was the buzzer that did him in. I wouldn't dismiss him as a one-and-done, though he only won one game :lol:
    talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 am
    talkingaway wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:23 am
    I also went with "frothy" - I generally don't worry about matching the exact part of speech when the clue syntax is mangled. I don't think it is any less stand-alone than "lather", you can get "lathered" up, but generally you are "worked into a lather" unless it is already clear that you aren't talking about hygiene. I think "froth" or "frothy" would likely be accepted if there was a commercial break for the judges to deliberate over it.

I don't know who Yeats is, and only know Wilde as the famous sodomite (or whatever). Sometimes it's easy to forget we have made social progress, even 50 years after Stonewall.
    The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to claw back $800 of Coryat for myself and count it right. You could say "He frothed at the idea of having to play against Holtzhauer" - it's not an idiomatic phrase like "frothed at the mouth", and I think you could go for upset more than angry. I found a dictionary definition saying anger/vexation which is close enough to "upset" for me.

Anyone go to "lather" directly? Seems slightly obscure for a top row clue - and it was a triple stumper.
    mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I'd accept "froth" but I got to "lather" in real time.
    yankeefanjan
    Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by yankeefanjan »

I just finished watching the 9/27 game, and I noticed that Gabe appeared to be looking at his watch, or at the very least, was not looking at the board on at least five separate occasions during the game. Did anyone else notice this? If no one noticed this while watching the game for the first time, it would be great if someone could check his or her recording of the game. I have never seen a player look away from the board like that in all my years of watching Jeopardy!; it seemed very strange.
    Pendleton71
    Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm That makes 15 games this season with no 3/3 sweep by the contestants? cheezguyty: How many more games for the record?
    Season 33 didn't have a triple get until the 21st game. Seasons 3 and 5 may have gone even longer. There is not a triple get among the first 29 archived FJs for Season 3 (of course, there are still many games missing from that stretch).

The longest overall run of games I could find without a 3/3 on FJ is the 36 regular games between October 23 and December 25, 2012.
    There's a triple get on December 14 though:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4034
    cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Pendleton71 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:40 pm

There's a triple get on December 14 though:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4034
    Sorry, that should have been 2002 instead of 2012. Thanks for catching that.
    LucarioSnooperVixey
    Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Missed Hobby Lobby, Tom Berenger(Couldn't remember that one.), and Robert Caro.)
    DD: 3/3
    FJ: :mrgreen:
    LT: Uffizi, Irish Whiskey, Brain, Tigger, Shrimp, Stone of Scone, Flinty, Lather

Steve St. John(During interview): It was on a Maxwell tape.

Me: It's Maxell not Maxwell.
    Douglas Squasoni
    CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:42 pm 52 R (Missed Hobby Lobby, Tom Berenger(Couldn't remember that one.), and Robert Caro.)
    DD: 3/3
    FJ: :mrgreen:
    LT: Uffizi, Irish Whiskey, Brain, Tigger, Shrimp, Stone of Scone, Flinty, Lather

Steve St. John(During interview): It was on a Maxwell tape.

wow i got 2 right you didn't? world might end
    seaborgium
    Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:42 pm Steve St. John(During interview): It was on a Maxwell tape.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a Maxwell album on cassette?
    mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

yankeefanjan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:39 pm I just finished watching the 9/27 game, and I noticed that Gabe appeared to be looking at his watch, or at the very least, was not looking at the board on at least five separate occasions during the game. Did anyone else notice this? If no one noticed this while watching the game for the first time, it would be great if someone could check his or her recording of the game. I have never seen a player look away from the board like that in all my years of watching Jeopardy!; it seemed very strange.
    He probably had somewhere to be and was stuck in the studio playing J!. It happens.