FJs for the 9/23/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/23/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

The title of this musical that opened on Broadway in 1964 was inspired by a Marc Chagall painting
46%
The 1862 Morrill Act gave states federal acreage to sell for school funds, leading to the creation of 69 of these
66%
Timely for 2018, in 1866 Mark Twain wrote of this landmark's "sputtering jets of fire" & "heat from Pele's furnaces"
30%
"The Eighth Wonder", by composer Alan John & librettist Dennis Watkins, is about this building that opened in 1973
49%
From his own 1898 poem, the epitaph of this Irish-born man ends, "his mourners will be outcast men, & outcasts always mourn"  
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
BOATS & SHIPS $2000: A September 1779 battle featured the British frigate Serapis & this American warship
26%
YOU DID IT! $1000: This renowned architect designed the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain & the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles
61%
SOME STERN WORDS $400: A rock that makes a spark begins this adjective for someone of stern demeanor
55%
I have seen a stage production and/or movie version of Fiddler on the Roof.
47%
Old Faithful was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
I guessed an incorrect volcano for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
46%
I have been inside the Sydney Opera House. (You can post if you saw an opera there.)
9%
Yeats was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
20%
I exceeded the 11 correct Jason Zuffranieri had on his 20 FJ! clues.
39%

Total votes: 102

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 9/23/19 week

Post by Peter the accountant »

This week clearly played pretty tough. The highest get rate from boardies is less than 70%. And the players didn't do very well, either.

My first box of shame in a long time.
--Peter
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Community colleges on Tuesday. Knew Pele = Hawaii, but went with Mauna Kea.

Never seen Fiddler on the Roof, and since the furthest west I've ever been is Ottawa, that's a no on the Sydney Opera House.

10/20 during Jason's run. Haven't had a week better than 3/5 in regular play in the week of 4/8/19 (though I got 3/5 + tiebreaker clue the week of 7/15/19).
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I knew it was flint-something, but the wording of the clue made me think it was more than just -y, so I also went with flinthearted.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

Sears Tower Thursday, Yeats Friday
I have not yet played Jason's games from last season, but I was 12/14 on his games from this season
Sprinkles are for winners.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I have performed in a production of Fiddler on the Roof. Still missed the question. :oops:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I haven't seen that silly building but I did go to Austria last year :lol: .

I was on Old Faithful and remembered the lava in Hawaii recently. Could only say Kilamangero and hoped I was mixed up with the African volcano.

I chose the Astrodome just because it was promoted as the eighth wonder, although I know well that it was ca 1966 and Jimmy Wynn was the first player to hit the roof.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:20 am :( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I was on Old Faithful and remembered the lava in Hawaii recently. Could only say Kilamangero and hoped I was mixed up with the African volcano.

I chose the Astrodome just because it was promoted as the eighth wonder, although I know well that it was ca 1966 and Jimmy Wynn was the first player to hit the roof.
mike schmidt was the first in 1974
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Re Thursday's clue: I hate when they ask you to know the year some building opened, or a movie debuted, etc. From the date involved, I thought there were any number of excellent guesses, including World Trade Towers and CNN tower (which was my guess). And God knows how many structures have been labelled the "8th Wonder," including the Houston Astrodome (which I knew was opened in the 1960s).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:11 pm CNN tower
You mean CN Tower?
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 am

I can't find the date of the event, or even if it was a fair ball (roof was in play per the ground rules), but - From a SI article June 09, 1969:

Nevertheless Wynn (the Astros all call him the Toy Cannon) is the only player ever to hit three home runs in one game under the Dome and he also is the only player to hit the Dome ceiling with a batted ball during a game. "It went straight up over home plate—just like one of my golf shots," he says.

We are even now - this one's for Nurse Nancy 8-) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:33 pm

I can't find the date of the event, or even if it was a fair ball (roof was in play per the ground rules), but - From a SI article June 09, 1969:

Nevertheless Wynn (the Astros all call him the Toy Cannon) is the only player ever to hit three home runs in one game under the Dome and he also is the only player to hit the Dome ceiling with a batted ball during a game. "It went straight up over home plate—just like one of my golf shots," he says.

And Schmidt's ball didn't hit the ceiling, it hit a speaker hanging from the ceiling.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no idea, because he doesn't show up in any of the astrodome history sites for that feat
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 am

And Schmidt's ball didn't hit the ceiling, it hit a speaker hanging from the ceiling.
which is part of the ceiling...if a ball can graze the jersey of a player and that player is said to have been hit by a pitch then the jersey is part of the person, then a speaker that was hit while being attached to a ceiling can be seen as being part of that ceiling
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

going to say it was a foul ball..so schmidt stands as first to do it when it comes to being put into fair territory

"It went straight up over home plate"

the above suggests it was a foul ball
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

btw...i am glad you retained nurse nancy...that is one of the best trivia tidbits in all of trivia
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I didn't get to see last week's episodes until Tuesday this week, but the first post in my Facebook feed on Friday morning lamented Jason's loss and cursed the Sydney Opera House. I don't mind getting spoiled on Jason's loss, but it would have been nice to have the chance to try to puzzle out a difficult FJ that ended a super-champ's reign.

We went to the Sydney Opera House several times during our trip in January 2001 It was the 100th anniversary of Verdi's death, so they were doing a lot of his works that season. We got to see Rigoletto and Il Trovatore in the Opera Theatre, but we just missed a performance of the Verdi Requiem in the Concert Hall, which happened on the day we left. We also saw the hilarious Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) in a small theater downstairs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The opera I saw at Sydney is Pavlovian for Mussorgsky + opera.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 am The opera I saw at Sydney is Pavlovian for Mussorgsky + opera.
I'd post the answer, but modesty forbids.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:22 am
Robert K S wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 am The opera I saw at Sydney is Pavlovian for Mussorgsky + opera.
Or maybe you're just not good enuv.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:22 am
Or maybe you're just not good enuv.
Ok. Fine. You made me learn things again.

Still doesn't make your puns funny, though. :lol:
--Peter