Monday, September 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SYMBOLIC OBJECTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
To complete one of its regular trips, in 1948 it took a boat across the English Channel; in 1952 it took a plane en route to Finland

Laurel Lathrop: 17600+15201=32801 (2x = $64,002)
Jennifer Kinyak: 15200-1=15199
Jason Marsden: 16400+14001=30401

Correct response:
Spoiler
Olympic Torch (or Olympic Flame) (Jennifer – World Cup)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 1600+1600
Jason: 6600+5000
Laurel: 11600+4000

Coryats
Laurel: 15600
Jennifer: 14400
Jason: 12600

Combined: 42,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Laurel: 4800
Jennifer: 7600
Jason: minus 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A new GEICO promo for GEICOween. Now if only the show would bring back Iain Armitage reading clues. ;)

No, Jason, the Scots throw around something a little bigger than a javelin at their games. :lol:

Nice game with the players each scoring on a DD. Laurel took a 15600 to 14400 lead after DD3 with a category remaining and did enough to still lead for the FJ! round on the double solve.

Alex thankfully left no doubt that my alternate response was okay too as I did not match the correct response that Laurel & Jason had. Either is good and that is what matters.

Alex messed with me with his remark before revealing the FJ! clue, "Careful on this one, players." I was sure I had the right area though in keeping Alex's words in mind I thought perhaps only one was right and that the other would somehow be wrong on a technicality.

Where I was wrong was playing the precall game as I took SYMBOLIC OBJECTS as something that could not be touched/held and thought perhaps, Iron Curtain.

Well done on the title defense by Laurel as trailing at DD1, after the J! round, at DD2, and at the reveal of DD3 does not matter as much as leading after DD3 and into the FJ! round.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Thought about the world cup for a moment, then realized that "world cup" and "Finland" didn't sound like they belonged together in the same sentence. In fact, it's never qualified for the cup...and also, the years referenced were not cup years.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Great riddle for FJ! I got it, but took dangerously close to 30 seconds.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

While it's impossible to know if Laurel would have wagered differently on the last DD, one could argue that Jason cost himself the game by leaving that $1600 on the table on his DD.

And good for Jennifer for not making the typical suicide wager from third in her position.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

What a game! And what a comeback! Jason couldn't have appeared in the Contestant Zone last week.
The writers must've been on a Gilbert and Sullivan kick, with answers of "gondoliers" and that infernal nonsense Pinafore, and a DD about a yeoman of the guard. I've been a G&S fan for years and I still get Pinafore and Penzance mixed up.
Got FJ after about 25 seconds.
Hoping for a third lap
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i guess none of those contestants follow women's soccer...i knew algarve was in portugal because i have watched several algarve cup matches

final jeopardy, super easy...something that happens every 4 years, an object traveling, 2 areas that hosted olympics in those years...hmm..what else would it have been
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I realllllly hate to see this
Spoiler
But I applaud the players for running the category, although 2 of the clues required no knowledge of the plays. I went 3/5 in terms of number of plays I've actually seen. I do love Laurie Metcalf but I wasn't in the mood for Hilary and Clinton. Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus was outrageous and almost perfect, except for those moments when Nathan Lane broke the fourth wall (repeatedly) and held for laughter (too long!). Fun fact: Andrea Martin took a nasty fall in rehearsals and was replaced by fellow cast member Kristine Nielsen, whose own role was filled by Julie White

This FJ came easy, so what the hell was Alex going on about? Love you, Trebek, but don't editorialize!

Now, if the category I BEAT MERYL! looked familiar to any of you, perhaps you played my Academy Awards TD in 2017? Did the writers really come up with that on their own?!
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That is the kind of exciting game I like to watch.

That was the kind of FJ that I like ... didn't know it offhand, but managed to figure it out.

I knew Algarve because I was there this summer. They have a lot of cork trees, and Portugal is well-known for cork. Surprised that was a TS.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:36 pm That is the kind of exciting game I like to watch.

That was the kind of FJ that I like ... didn't know it offhand, but managed to figure it out.

I knew Algarve because I was there this summer. They have a lot of cork trees, and Portugal is well-known for cork. Surprised that was a TS.
Never heard of the town but guessed Portugal. Would have stayed clam on the show
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 pm I realllllly hate to see this
Spoiler
But I applaud the players for running the category, although 2 of the clues required no knowledge of the plays. I went 3/5 in terms of number of plays I've actually seen. I do love Laurie Metcalf but I wasn't in the mood for Hilary and Clinton. Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus was outrageous and almost perfect, except for those moments when Nathan Lane broke the fourth wall (repeatedly) and held for laughter (too long!). Fun fact: Andrea Martin took a nasty fall in rehearsals and was replaced by fellow cast member Kristine Nielsen, whose own role was filled by Julie White
Arguably only the True West clue required knowledge of the play. The "civics" document was a coin flip, and for $1600 you had to know Titus Andronicus but not Gary...Not a set of clues anybody should have feared. I could have used more like it, since I struggled through a lot of this game, including the FJ, which triggered no associations...If only I'd noticed the years were 4 apart... :roll:
I wasn't a fan of Gary. Lane breaking the fourth wall was most of the play...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm Arguably only the True West clue required knowledge of the play. The "civics" document was a coin flip
What the Constitution Means to Me closed before I could get there, but boy oh boy, I'm glad I made it to True West. Crazy play! and sadly I missed the last go around with Philip Seymour Hoffman / John C. Reilly in alternating roles
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I learned that I'm really, really, really bad with these FJ! riddles, despite loving them. I was patient and made a precall list: Rosetta stone, ankh, and a generic "flags of countries" were the only three I could think of offhand, but I figured each of those had some related "children" that I could use.

Of course, so many clues. Regular trips. Two years that are multiples of 4. The names of two countries that hosted the Summer Olympics in those two years. And "interesting" modes of transportation. And I had the word "flag" written down right in front of me.

And dumb-dumb here puts down "What is the Concorde?" - which was only in service from 1976-2003. I mean, in my defense, it did make regular trips. The boat to England could have been an aircraft carrier, I guess - and England did push me to Concorde. I don't know how I envisioned the Concorde taking a plane to Finland, though. And the Concorde isn't exactly a symbolic object.

I also kissed away $4000 of Coryat in two wrong answers: I also mixed up Pinafore/Penzance, and I heard "Cork" and reflexively went "Ireland" for absolutely no good reason. Ugh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I Beat Meryl! was an instant 0/5 for me.

NHO at $200: "Freedom Trail", colleges having waiting lists, Pirate's Booty (poll request)

For some reason I had 4W in the J! round. Boards just felt very off-kilter.

European Jobs and Recent Broadway Plays were 0/5 for me.

Blanking on Bram Stoker cost me the run in Paper Moon.

What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:36 pm That is the kind of exciting game I like to watch.

Never heard of the town but guessed Portugal. Would have stayed clam on the show
i guess you don't follow women's soccer either
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 pm I Beat Meryl! was an instant 0/5 for me.

NHO at $200: "Freedom Trail", colleges having waiting lists, Pirate's Booty (poll request)

For some reason I had 4W in the J! round. Boards just felt very off-kilter.

European Jobs and Recent Broadway Plays were 0/5 for me.

Blanking on Bram Stoker cost me the run in Paper Moon.

What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
i guess you didn't beat her
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 pm I Beat Meryl! was an instant 0/5 for me.
i guess you didn't beat her
:lol: :lol: :lol:
goongas

Post by goongas »

Arguably only the True West clue required knowledge of the play. The "civics" document was a coin flip
I have noticed when they ask about current or recent Broadway, knowledge of the play or musical is rarely required, they try to get at it by another means, the movie it was based on, the actor from another work, etc. The writers know most of the country, including themselves, do not live in NYC and have the opportunity to see many shows. They don't seem to expect deep cuts. Classic shows they expect more, but not Shakespeare level deep knowledge.