Tuesday, October 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 am The Arthur C. Clarke Award - What is tennis? (Once again I'm glad I never have a drink near my computer)

never heard of it...seemed pretty difficult for a top box, when they had the clio awards at the bottom of that category and it is better known
You don't have to have heard of the Arthur C. Clarke Award to get that; just know he wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey and put two and two together.
didn't know that either...clio awards clue still way easier than that top box clue
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 am I got this FJ, but I have to say I thought about it for the whole 30 seconds wondering if I was wrong. I've never thought of the volcanoes being somehow separate from the Cascade Range. Wikipedia agrees with the distinction, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Volcanoes

The Olympic Mountains are not volcanic, by the way.
I figured you for an instaget on that one! It was for me, after maybe a second of WECIB.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 am I got this FJ, but I have to say I thought about it for the whole 30 seconds wondering if I was wrong. I've never thought of the volcanoes being somehow separate from the Cascade Range. Wikipedia agrees with the distinction, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Volcanoes

The Olympic Mountains are not volcanic, by the way.
I figured you for an instaget on that one! It was for me, after maybe a second of WECIB.
It was instant, but I was never 100% confident. I figure I've hiked a few hundred miles in the Cascades, so it would definitely have been an embarrassing miss.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 am The Arthur C. Clarke Award - What is tennis? (Once again I'm glad I never have a drink near my computer)

never heard of it...seemed pretty difficult for a top box, when they had the clio awards at the bottom of that category and it is better known
You don't have to have heard of the Arthur C. Clarke Award to get that; just know he wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey and put two and two together.
didn't know that either...clio awards clue still way easier than that top box clue
Clues that you know are always easier than the ones you don't know. One can guess what the Arthur C. Clarke Award was for, whereas one had to have heard of the Clio Award to know what it was for.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am Clues that you know are always easier than the ones you don't know.
Nobody puts it like you, chief! :D
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm very surprised at "spiracles" having a lower dollar value than "thorax" in the insect category. That smells like a last-minute question substitution. I wonder if anyone at the taping would comment on any irregularities during that game. Maybe Alex started to read the wrong clue or a technical issue revealed a clue?

FJ was mainly following the trail of hints for me. Continental US eliminates a whole bunch of deadly volcano eruptions. Those two pretty much nail it down to Mt. St. Helens. I couldn't think of any other deadly volcano eruptions in the US. It also fits into a chain. So what mountain range is that? Fortunately, the name got off the tip of my tongue and into my head with just enough time left to actually write it down.
--Peter
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 am I'm very surprised at "spiracles" having a lower dollar value than "thorax" in the insect category. That smells like a last-minute question substitution. I wonder if anyone at the taping would comment on any irregularities during that game. Maybe Alex started to read the wrong clue or a technical issue revealed a clue?

FJ was mainly following the trail of hints for me. Continental US eliminates a whole bunch of deadly volcano eruptions. Those two pretty much nail it down to Mt. St. Helens. I couldn't think of any other deadly volcano eruptions in the US. It also fits into a chain. So what mountain range is that? Fortunately, the name got off the tip of my tongue and into my head with just enough time left to actually write it down.
Spiracles was worth $2000, thorax was $1200 - that seemed relatively correct. I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of the word "thorax", since even humans have one. Spiracles, as far as I know from a quick wiki search, are mostly insects, and I'd not really heard of them despite being a science guy - although the etymological TOM for "respiration" should help.

The thing that struck me was that "thorax" ended in "x" - I had to pause to make sure I was marking my responses in the correct column for a second.

While I know they try to put clues together from easiest-to-hardest, I think there's often enough wiggle room that adjacent clues can certainly be argued to be switched. If you were to, say, poll 1,000 J! contestants and see who knows what questions, it wouldn't be odd to see a 50% question one row lower than a 40% question. While the old trick of "hard questions have hard answers; easy questions have easy answers" may work on SAT math, which is arranged in order of difficulty, it doesn't work all the time on J! - although when you have a $2000 spelling clue of "Double _____ Oreos", you probably shouldn't say S-T-U-F-F if you can help it.

It's not gospel, but according to wiki, the only volcano deaths in the US happened from Mt. St. Helens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... death_toll

Vesuvius, the reflex answer for "volcano, erupt, death", is only #7 by the given estimates. Of the top ten, only one happened within the past 100 years.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:00 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 am I'm very surprised at "spiracles" having a lower dollar value than "thorax" in the insect category.
Spiracles was worth $2000, thorax was $1200 - that seemed relatively correct.
Then I mis-remembered the clues. I thought spiracles was at the top of the column, not the bottom. Sorry about that. I guess DD hunting - while a good gameplay strategy - makes it a bit harder to recall where the clues were.
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 am

Clues that you know are always easier than the ones you don't know. One can guess what the Arthur C. Clarke Award was for, whereas one had to have heard of the Clio Award to know what it was for.

why can one guess what clarke award is and one can't guess what clio is unless they have heard of it?

if you use jarchive as a barometer, there are 8 mentions of clio awards and the area for which they are given....on the other hand this was the second time clarke award was used for a specific area...the other times clarke was mentioned did give science fiction, but nothing to do wit the award itself...had to know the author

i usually can see why something is a top box clue over something else even if i miss said top box clue, but still can't figure this one out...was the only one i missed in that category

not to mention clio awards were mentioned in the tv series mad men...jeopardy people love their amc shows
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm why can one guess what clarke award is and one can't guess what clio is unless they have heard of it?
Because Arthur C. Clarke was a science fiction author and Clio is the muse of history.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm why can one guess what clarke award is and one can't guess what clio is unless they have heard of it?
Because Arthur C. Clarke was a science fiction author and Clio is the muse of history.
but even without knowing any background on those 2, a person can still guess an area for which they are given for both of them
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Dale Evans(I know shocker.), Chip Kelly, and M. Night Shyamalan.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mogul, Bounce, Equinox, John Ford, Spiracles

For the first time in history, someone mixed up Arthur C. Clarke with Arthur Ashe.
Douglas Squasoni
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:33 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm
but even without knowing any background on those 2, a person can still guess an area for which they are given for both of them
So I guess:
Arthur C Clarke Award for Science Fiction
and
Clio Award for History

What?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:54 pm For the first time in history, someone mixed up Arthur C. Clarke with Arthur Ashe.
You can't possibly know that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:54 pm For the first time in history, someone mixed up Arthur C. Clarke with Arthur Ashe.
You can't possibly know that.
No it's true. I just looked it up.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:54 pm
For the first time in history, someone mixed up Arthur C. Clarke with Arthur Ashe.
Oh yeah, then why does Barnes and Noble have a shelf full of copies of "2001: A Space Odyssey" with the Ashe crossed out in black marker?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Laurel didn't say Olympic mountains, she said Olympian. That would be wrong even if the clue were going for Olympic.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.