Online Test Recap & Discussion (College), October 1, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Online Test Recap & Discussion (College), October 1, 2019

Post by Archivists »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuspPyU-9w

(As always, thank you so much to sherder for the video.)
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (College), October 1, 2019

Post by Archivists »

Answers, spoilerized:
Spoiler
1 King Lear
2 debit
3 hydrogen
4 Harriet Tubman
5 New York
6 Bismarck, North Dakota
7 Paul
8 New Orleans
9 Suzanne Collins
10 Stockholm
11 Rocket Raccoon
12 Ferdinand (II)
13 funny money
14 Educated
15 Congo
16 platelets
17 Johann Strauss
18 Tesla
19 Old Town Road
20 the Count of Monte Cristo
21 Pyrenees
22 Turkey
23 Emily Dickinson
24 Green Monster
25 Ra
26 fleas
27 Henrik Ibsen
28 fibula
29 Interpol
30 Oregon
31 the Rite of Spring
32 Fortnite
33 Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen
34 Ivan the Terrible
35 Susan B. Anthony
36 American Red Cross
37 tug-of-war correspondent
38 Taco Bell
39 2
40 The Thinker
41 Stranger Things
42 Richard Nixon
43 Second Amendment
44 Maine
45 Malcolm X
46 Scott Joplin
47 narwhal
48 conjunction
49 The Hound of the Baskervilles
50 Jordan Peele
nivek1385
Contributor

Post by nivek1385 »

33, I think, in my last attempt at the college test. I'll review the video tomorrow.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Thanks a ton for the quick work with the answers, OQ.

Judging off the Reddit thread, this one seemed harder than usual. I count 42/50 taking the test for real. Couple bad misses and fortunate gets, so I guess it balances out a bit.. at least I know what I need to review. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Philly audition city, will be sure to keep you folks posted if I hear anything. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Thanks for this great resource!

Oh, frustrating - even if I'm not eligible. I got 34/50 taking it on my Excel sheet, with a couple of near misses.
Spoiler
Test made me feel young, as I got most of the "youthbait" clues - Taco Bell, Olson twins, Marvel, Lil Nas X, Fortnite, Peele, Stranger Things - correct. Missed the Twlilight one.

At least I got some funny wrong responses:

10) Put down Oslo for Nobel Prize - picked the city where the sixth (peace) prize is given. Ugh. Damn me and my love of a-ha. Note the screen name.

17) Guessed "Straussberg" for the Vienna Waltz. Apparently that's not a person, but it is the misspelled name of a German town. *bangs head on table*

23) I literally said out loud "I'm nobody, who are you?" for the female poet. And I knew it was the one who DIDN'T stick her head in an oven. But I couldn't come up with Emily Dickinson in 15 seconds, so I put Plath anyway.

46) I literally did not know that Scott Joplin was African-American, and yet typed in his name on my Excel sheet. Then deleted it for...Nat King Cole? Because I was sure that he was African-American. I'm an idiot.

49) Hounds of the....Whovilles? Hoovervilles? Yeah, that's gotta be right. Hoovervilles. :?

Lots of repeated/similar material clues that I happen to have found - I swear I see Tubman a lot. Pyrenees wasn't an answer to tonight's FJ!, but was one of my precalls - I looked up my mountains tonight because of it, and it helped. And Monte Cristo/Dumas was on a recent adult test, but going the other way. The tibia/fibula question looked familiar too.
Quick question - for question 12, is the part in parentheses required? I wouldn't have known it, because I always think of him as part of his famous duo. And apparently from the Wiki article on him, that's not the only thing that could go in parentheses.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No matter the level these online tests are always a fun exercise. My preference is if I'm going to miss one then I'd rather miss at least two. After kicking myself for having the wrong poet on a coin toss at #23 it was easier to accept when I also missed #33 in having Hadid who aren't even twins. I should have slowed down to take in "twin" and the acting portion of the clue.

The guesses I hit were the electron and fast food place. I'm giving myself a get for the character name on the Bradley Cooper one without including the animal name. First name is fine on the king one and don't worry about the correct number unless you needlessly specified incorrectly.

Thanks as always for the video and answer sheet to make it easy to play along after the fact.

Good luck to those looking to qualify to play for real.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

49/50. Educated was my only miss.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:02 am 49/50. Educated was my only miss.
You knew it on May 8th. Uh oh, you're starting to forget things. ;)
uncapitalized

Post by uncapitalized »

I'm over the moon about my 38/50--I really hope I get called for an audition! I'm a junior so if not I suppose there's next year. I improved from 36, 36, 37, 32 on four other college tests that I took to practice for this one. I'm glad the 32 remained an outlier.

These online tests really seem to highlight my strengths and weaknesses versus the regular show. I'm used to being strong on lit, wordplay, history, and geography while weak on science, sports, and composers/ballet/opera, but on these they rarely ask a question above my instaget baseline for my strong categories (Educated excepted, jeez) but the ones in weak categories feel like they lack TOMs that allow me to place them from other subjects. Another benefit of the college tests and show is going from abysmal TV and weak film to decent-to-strong on both--maybe someday the regular show will age into my area of knowledge for those categories and I'll get better.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

45/50. I spent the entire Fortnite countdown pretending to punch things. I don't think J! accepts responses in charades format.

ETA: Thanks as always to those who put up the video and answers.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Thanks to sherder for the video.

Playing off that video, I got 43, which is a little worse than my performance on the adult test in April.
Spoiler
I assume just the surname of "Collins" was sufficient for the Hunger Games author, even though there are also well-known novelists named Jackie Collins and Wilkie Collins. Ditto with my response of "Red Cross" for "American Red Cross."

For Rocket Raccoon and Educated, I had nothing, and put down obviously wrong responses just to say something. (Well, I suppose my answer of Matriculated for the book wasn't the world's worst WAG.)

Talked myself out of Dickinson, having never heard the line that appeared in the clue, and WAG'd with Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Femur for fibula.

Firebird for Rite of Spring (because of "rebirth" in the clue; I thought a firebird could be like a phoenix).

No idea on the video game clue, as might have been expected from my performance in that category in LL. :)

Walrus for narwhal.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:39 pm Thanks a ton for the quick work with the answers, OQ.

Judging off the Reddit thread, this one seemed harder than usual. I count 42/50 taking the test for real. Couple bad misses and fortunate gets, so I guess it balances out a bit.. at least I know what I need to review. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Philly audition city, will be sure to keep you folks posted if I hear anything. :D
first time doing one of these and i got about the same as i normally do on a regular online test..got 36
billiej

Post by billiej »

After bombing this year's adult test, got a 40 on this. Sigh....hopefully that's a sign I'll be back to passing form next year.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

40/50 off the board. Now if I were only 20 years old again. (but then, getting on J! would not be my greatest reason to rejoice)

Thanks sherder!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

43/50 playing for fun (graduated college in '94)

It's been a long time since I had to think about electron shells

Couldn't pull Suzanne Collins or funny money

Good luck to all the college tournament hopefuls!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:37 pm 43/50 playing for fun (graduated college in '94)

It's been a long time since I had to think about electron shells

Couldn't pull Suzanne Collins or funny money

Good luck to all the college tournament hopefuls!
you did? i always thought you were younger...damn dude...you are older than me