Thursday, October 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1600 a royal charter authorized it to set forth to “parts of Asia and Africa” in search of “trade and traffic”

Jessica Garsed: 7600-7599=1
Cara Moretto: 5500-5300=200
Geoff Duncan: 24800+8599=33399 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
British East India Company (Jessica – Virginia Company) (Cara – East India)

Daily Doubles
Geoff: 2400+2400
Cara: 4000-2500
Geoff: 15200+8000

Coryats
Jessica: 7600
Cara: 8000
Geoff: 16000

Combined: 31,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 4000
Cara: 2400
Geoff: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Geoff led after every segment and at each DD to put another notch in the champs lose after lunch stat category.

4-LETTER PLACES had DD3 in the second box and Geoff took advantage of it to lock the match. There was a little hesitation before he responded and then he put together the meat hint and recalled the category. Even on a miss he still would have led 8800 to 7600 for the FJ! round to still win.

The FJ! clue was a fail for me in processing the clue. I wrote Northwest Passage and by the time I realized my error I went on two detours to Spanish Armada and Royal Navy leaving me no time to get back on track. I deserve a miss for letting that one get away.

Cara was close though Alex and the judges had no choice but to say no. Second place prize either way made it not matter much.

Nice run by Jessica and it's not the first time someone went 0/12 finding a DD.

Jeff's debut looks impressive when eyeing his winning amount and DD bravery while the 16000 Coryat says pump the brakes. I look at 3/3 on the big clues as a sign for prospects to win again.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The 4th "Guy Mannering" clue in the J-Archive, and the first with a correct response! (Also the first without a reference to the Dandie Dinmont Terrier, for the record.)

Congrats to Geoff for breaking the jinx.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Heads up. The Dandie Dinmont Terrier and its Walter Scott connection come up once every 14 years like clockwork, so any contestants in 2031 should be ready for it.
#7485, aired 2017-03-10 SIR WALTER SCOTT & HIS WORKS $2000: This "Dandie" breed is named for a character in "Guy Mannering", one of Scott's Waverley novels
#4448, aired 2003-12-31 DOGS $2000: The Dandie Dinmont Terrier was named for a farmer in this man's novel "Guy Mannering"
#1002, aired 1989-01-03 ANIMALS $500: The Dandie Dinmont, a dog in this group, was named after a farmer who raised them in "Guy Mannering"
3 different clues with 3 different responses about the same factoid. That's interesting. Triple stumper every time, too. Maybe you'll be the one who finally gets it right in 14 years. Don't forget!
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

That was a very impressive first showing for Geoff. His knowledge base and buzzer skills certainly seem like 5-game streak potential. I wish him retroactive good luck tomorrow and in the coming week!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

freelance programmer & musician
That kinda makes "Seattle" redundant there...

Mostly instant FJ, though I did have to triple check my work to make sure I didn't inadvertently add 'Trading' in there to make it the (incorrect) Pirates of the Caribbean-verse incarnation.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

East India Company was a WECIB guess. I don't have much else to say about this game, other than it wasn't surprising that Geoff took the tech category from bottom to top.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Siege" is one of those words I've heard a billion times but had absolutely no idea what it meant. I almost went with "Latin standoff" there.

Can't say I've heard of a "spinning wheel" before (at least not in the textile sense), with a weird "all but the top box" in Cotton of all things.

Derped up Let's See If It Pays Off. "Brother" + "animation" misled me to guess Warner, and on $1,000, I couldn't decide whether they wanted Harley or Davidson when it was obvious they wanted both.

I seem to be getting better at guessing. I feel like I'm negging a lot more, but I seem to be rebounding more to make up for it.

English History? Yeah, no hope from me whatsoever. NHO the final response.

Lach Trash: muzzle, terrazzo, gird your loins
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Muzzle has to be one of the most unlikely triple stumpers in recent memory.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 pm

In your defense, I think this particular one is relatively obscure as far as FJ answers go. Not obscure enough that it shouldn't be fair game, but not one I would certainly expect the majority of viewers to pull.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 pm Muzzle has to be one of the most unlikely triple stumpers in recent memory.
Not quite as bad as "Sydney" the day before.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 pm Muzzle has to be one of the most unlikely triple stumpers in recent memory.
To be fair, the question asked what the oldest Australian city is, a fact which probably isn't common knowledge. I certainly didn't know that. I still guessed Sydney given that it was in the top row and that they alluded to the fact that it's commonly confused for being the capital.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 pm "Siege" is one of those words I've heard a billion times but had absolutely no idea what it meant. I almost went with "Latin standoff" there.

Can't say I've heard of a "spinning wheel" before (at least not in the textile sense), with a weird "all but the top box" in Cotton of all things.

Derped up Let's See If It Pays Off. "Brother" + "animation" misled me to guess Warner, and on $1,000, I couldn't decide whether they wanted Harley or Davidson when it was obvious they wanted both.

I seem to be getting better at guessing. I feel like I'm negging a lot more, but I seem to be rebounding more to make up for it.

Lach Trash: muzzle, terrazzo, gird your loins
there were 4 brothers...would have plural had it been anything to do with warner
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 pm
To be fair, the question asked what the oldest Australian city is, a fact which probably isn't common knowledge. I certainly didn't know that. I still guessed Sydney given that it was in the top row and that they alluded to the fact that it's commonly confused for being the capital.
doesn't matter..was top box...though i did miss 3 out of 5 top boxes today in the first round
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:04 am The FJ! clue was a fail for me in processing the clue. I wrote Northwest Passage and by the time I realized my error I went on two detours to Spanish Armada and Royal Navy leaving me no time to get back on track. I deserve a miss for letting that one get away.
Yeah, I failed too, but thought the clue must be referring to a single vessel and said the HMS Bounty. Didn't seem right, but I couldn't think of anything else. Turns out the Bounty was much, much later (1787).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Revisiting the PCV valve clue;
Geoff takes a random stab at it, incorrect. Great, Jessica can gain back some ground here.
Then Jessica follows suit with a different random guess... grrrrr. And she was so good about staying clam in her first game while the others guessed themselves into the red.

Folks that don't know anything technical about cars should not be guessing on high value clues.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I seem to have a weird streak recently of living a J! life. I'm seeing SpongeBob the Musical in a few weeks (don't judge), and really liked one song on it - "No Control". I do a little Wiki snooping, and learn that SpongeBob is sort of a Frankenmusical - it has multiple artists contributing a song, and "No Control" was written by David Bowie and Brian Eno for a Bowie album in the 1990s and was repurposed for the musical. So, this morning, my playlist in the car was stuck on the Bowie version of the song, and I didn't want to bother to fiddle with my phone while driving. Needless to say, my brain was primed for the Ziggy Stardust clue.

Bad game for me, not clamming on "carburetor" for the PCV and "Solomon" for the prophet. I beat myself up a little because I knew it was "King Solomon", but wanted to jam my answer to fit the "judgement" and "sage advice" parts of the clue, since Solomon is known for two things: wisdom and baby-splitting. Turns out he was one of the 48 (49?) prophets of Judaism, so it's not a half-bad guess. Still, the wrong half.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

For the second time this week, I'm calling hubris. Geoff's 8000 dd could have dropped him below the champ.he had already gained merely by keeping the champ from finding it.

Does anyone agree with me that Cara bore more than a little resemblance to Karen Carpenter?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 am For the second time this week, I'm calling hubris. Geoff's 8000 dd could have dropped him below the champ.he had already gained merely by keeping the champ from finding it.
$800 clue in 4-LETTER PLACES? He didn't bet enough.