Tuesday, October 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm I instantly rejected "television" on the latter because wasn't that Philo T. Farnsworth?
The clue said "claimant" as the inventor. In the UK, John Logie Baird is said to be the inventor of the television.

Another such claimant of the invention is Vladimir Zworykin.
I still think that's a very weaselly clue especially for $200.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 pm Within the past day or two, a story about the "glass floor" from Huffpost came up on my Twitter feed.

Ditto here. Well, except the Twitter part. Just a news article I read.
Anyone else mix up Erik the Red with Erik'sson, Leif? Nobody? Just me?
Not just you.
--Peter
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Disappointed that I knee-jerked to Lansbury right over Bergman for the Gaslight clue :(
Autumn Sonata was Bergman's last film and Gaslight was Lansbury's first! I wish I could say she's got a film coming up, but the last item on the 94-year-old's imdb page is from 2018...However, she just did a public interview at the NY Public Library on Monday night!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I find the correct FJ response - Who is Gertrude Stein? - to be an excellent question. Who is she? I hate to sound like TPH, but she's in my NHO pile. I guess my poor literature skills are showing again. I wrote down Jane Austen to avoid having a blank paper. At least she's an author. And female.

And now, having spent 5 minutes with Google, I remember why I hated Lit as a kid. The stuff people quote as examples of her writing are, well, garbage unappealing to me.
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm I find the correct FJ response - Who is Gertrude Stein? - to be an excellent question. Who is she? I hate to sound like TPH, but she's in my NHO pile. I guess my poor literature skills are showing again. I wrote down Jane Austen to avoid having a blank paper. At least she's an author. And female.

And now, having spent 5 minutes with Google, I remember why I hated Lit as a kid. The stuff people quote as examples of her writing are, well, garbage unappealing to me.
i totally agree with you
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 am I still don't understand why that "rose is a rose..." quote is famous.
My Theater Arts professor said it was because of the rhythm of the words. If you just say "a rose is a rose is a rose," it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But if you insert dramatic pauses into it something like "a rose is -- a rose is -- a rose ..."

His other examples of that kind of pause and the rhythm of the words are

take a circle
and caress it
it turns vicious

and

cover her face
mine eyes Dazzle
she died young
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm Any reason I should know that Spanish show is on Univison and not Telemnudo? That felt like MASSIVE negbait, and I see no way to know how it would be one over the other.
It's only negbait if the clue tries to steer you to the wrong answer. That was strictly a 50/50 absent specific knowledge of the show in question.

Add me to the Leif/Eric mixup.