Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm I had the most stupid incorrect response for FJ!. Yes, it was a country in Africa...but quite possibly the worst guess while still being on the right continent. Any guesses?
Algeria.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I think I topped most of your guesses, save for perhaps Cape Verde and Sao Tome and Principe. I picked Cote d'Ivoire. Even wrote it that way, because I know the country really, really, really doesn't want its name translated in the media (although some press style guides do use "Ivory Coast").

Because, of course, the country with the most French sounding name is the one that would be part of the Commonwealth. That's just common sense. :oops: Honestly, I just couldn't think of any good responses.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

It amazes me that a person can make it all the way to the show and not know how to wager.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm I had the most stupid incorrect response for FJ!. Yes, it was a country in Africa...but quite possibly the worst guess while still being on the right continent. Any guesses?
Liberia or Ethiopia?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Kid N Play was my only miss though I have heard of them.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vietnam, The Flea, Madrid, Larval Stage, (12 Years a Slave), Christian Science Monitor, Cancel, Laden
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Dahomey? Bechuanaland? Orange Free State? Lagos? The Great Pyramid?
davey

Post by davey »

This FJ should have been easier than when the episode was taped, since Mugabe died last month, but it was tough for me. For some reason Uganda came first to mind and crowded out other countries, but then I realized it would have been in trouble way before 2003. As time was running out, the only country I could think of that might have got in trouble around 2003 was Libya, and in fact that was the year the country "formally accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing," to quote Wikipedia...But of course at about :31 I recognized that Libya wouldn't have been in the Commonwealth...
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

flemmingfan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:55 pm It amazes me that a person can make it all the way to the show and not know how to wager.
I am beginning to wonder if some feel it is just not honorable to win on a triple stumper.

I am not saying one should think this. It is just that in today's day and age, it is very easy to find easily understandable information on wagering.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,200
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: "The Flea"; Madrid; 12 Years a Slave (DD); Christian Science Monitor; end (for cancel); laden

I came up with "end" rather than "cancel" for "to annul" in Icelandic Words. My guess is that the judges would give that one to me upon review. What say ye?

On FJ! my process was similar to that of many previous posters. Former British colony + undemocratic for the past few decades + democratic rule recently restored led me to the former Rhodesia and Mugabe. That brings me to 3/6 on Friday FJ!s, whereas I am 22/24 the rest of the week.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:06 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 pm Around the World for $200 felt like a coinflip on Barcelona/Madrid at BEST, and I saw no way to narrow it down.
One is the capital.
True, but "Barcelona" just SOUNDS more like a capital city than Madrid does, and it just freezes me up every time. I can't find a handy trick to keep this one in the memory banks either, just like I can't ever remember which planet is the largest, or which Dakota has Mount Rushmore.
Instead of tricks, try putting some work into it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 am Until they decide to leave the name of the category up on the screen for viewers at home, I am going to HATE categories like 'Icelandic'.
I feel like a great improvement would be to have a small bar at the top or bottom of our TV screen that always shows the categories for that round with the one currently being played highlighted. It would help greatly for categories like this one, but it would be generally helpful all the time. It seems like there are clues every day that I miss because I forget what category they're in.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm Instead of tricks, try putting some work into it.
tl;dr
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 am Until they decide to leave the name of the category up on the screen for viewers at home, I am going to HATE categories like 'Icelandic'.
I feel like a great improvement would be to have a small bar at the top or bottom of our TV screen that always shows the categories for that round with the one currently being played highlighted. It would help greatly for categories like this one, but it would be generally helpful all the time. It seems like there are clues every day that I miss because I forget what category they're in.
Yes to this on both counts. (I will never bother with anagram wordplay anyway but I'd appreciate the skill more.) And an on-screen scoreboard display, please. There are three dimensions to this game, and I seldom can get engaged in the competitive aspect. Are they afraid they will get too much clutter for our geriatric senses? Or that they will start looking like the screen crawl on Anchorman 2, which is almost not even a parody?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 pm
Yes to this on both counts. (I will never bother with anagram wordplay anyway but I'd appreciate the skill more.) And an on-screen scoreboard display, please. There are three dimensions to this game, and I seldom can get engaged in the competitive aspect. Are they afraid they will get too much clutter for our geriatric senses? Or that they will start looking like the screen crawl on Anchorman 2, which is almost not even a parody?
I combat this a little bit at home with my Coryat spreadsheet. I type in the names of the categories on top, so in theory I'd have the word "icelandic" right on top that I can stare at once I've heard/read the clue on TV. I also move the cursor into the correct cell as soon as a category is announced, which gets me to focus on the full category - so if a contestant says "Authors for 2", the action of hunting for the right spot on my spreadsheet for my cursor will remind me that it's "European Authors for $2000", and not "American Authors for $200".

But, really, I do agree - a band on top of the question with the category and dollar value would be a nice improvement for play-at-home types.