Monday, October 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, October 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

I've been there, so I went with Leadville due to the altitude. But I wasn't very comfortable with lead being an ore, nor with Leadville being a city (it's a pretty small town in my book -- 2,893 in 2018). When Golden came up (I knew that wasn't close to 10,000), I went, "Shoot! Silverton!" (it's at 9,318') but it was too late to change my answer, so a get's a get.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Instaget, only because I remembered that reference to Leadville in the LA Times article (lived in LA at the time)!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 pm When I saw the elevation in the clue, I immediately thought of Leadville, but I was troubled by the use of ore in the clue (and knowing that Galena was lead ore). I stuck with it, though, and was pleasantly surprised at the reveal.
Same here. "It's gotta be Leadville. Wait. Is lead an ore?" (time runs out)
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 am Daryn gave a plug for the NYT mini crossword and I got the impression Alex was not aware of it. Alex probably solves only the main crossword in the print edition. I like the mini as it's a short & easy exercise before the main event. 11 seconds is my best though usually longer in the teens on a good day. On a bad day I can take over a minute.
Yeah, that was awkward. Seemed to me like Alex wasn't really listening. (Mark, if you're listening, I'd like to see a poll question this week for LatinX)

Like Daryn, I was thrown by the DD about the decline in immigration. The way it was worded, I thought they wanted you to go from "economic woes" to the 30s ("the decade before") and then pivot to the 40s. "You had to think of the Depression." We did, Alex. We did!

On a re-read it made sense, but in the moment, I was so confident, "I see what the writers are doing here!"

Moll Flanders is a fun read! Robinson Crusoe, not so much!

"Commie faction" got me NOWHERE. Drew a total blank there.

The Jeopardy James strategy looks like a real dud when the player doesn't have the bona fides to make it work.

I love the behind the scenes footage of all the production people hovering around the podiums while the players figure out their wagers for Final
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 pm ...
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 am Daryn gave a plug for the NYT mini crossword and I got the impression Alex was not aware of it. Alex probably solves only the main crossword in the print edition. I like the mini as it's a short & easy exercise before the main event. 11 seconds is my best though usually longer in the teens on a good day. On a bad day I can take over a minute.
Yeah, that was awkward. Seemed to me like he wasn't really listening. (Mark, if you're listening, I'd like to see a poll question this week for LatinX)
Heard. It was when archiving the game that I got a chuckle out of "penmanship" being a response in the J! round prior to THE GENDER-FREE OPTION category appearing the J! round.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Leadville is an amazing city... um, town. It even has an opera house where perennial Jeopardy favorite Oscar Wilde performed! I stayed there (in the former governor's mansion) 8 years ago and remembered visiting the mining museum. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.
Hoping for a third lap
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

I feel unique. Looks like I'm the first to post
Spoiler
Telluride
Only 1,500 feet lower in elevation, the name of a genuine ore ... only, according to Wikipedia, that particular ore was not mined there. Shrug. Now I have Leadville's distinction firmly in my headcanon.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Budphrey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 pm I feel unique. Looks like I'm the first to post
Spoiler
Telluride
Only 1,500 feet lower in elevation, the name of a genuine ore ... only, according to Wikipedia, that particular ore was not mined there. Shrug. Now I have Leadville's distinction firmly in my headcanon.
That's what I said, and I felt pretty good about it too. That name was wishful thinking, I guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Count me as another who has actually been to Leadville, but I've known about it being the highest incorporated place in the U.S. since I was a kid.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This FJ clue hurt my ears. :roll: The elevation made it easy for me since I know of the town but didn't know about the museum. To top it off, Galena KS is 6 miles from me and close to the epicenter of the old Tri-State (OK/MO/KS) lead and zinc mining district. To be fair, all the old miners and locals just call the ore "lead". It is a heavy shiny rock and you cannot lift a 5 gallon bucket of it (about 300 lbs, this isn't a challenge :lol: ). The zinc ore was just called "jack", and probably thousands of miners never even knew the real name as sphalerite.

I suppose the alternative wording (named for a metal which was mined there) seems inexact as well, but it is pretty established that you don't have to smelt the ore in order to state the metal is mined here.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

The only thing I know about Leadville is altitude > 10k'. Not finding an alternative, I went with it.

I wonder how that altitude would affect beer brewing.
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never heard of Leadville.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Is Leadville near Mudville?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm sure the weekly poll will reveal it will have inspired its share of strikeouts.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I had Colorado immediately for FJ!, and even said out loud to myself, "That's two miles!" So, of course, I pick Boulder, the city that's about half as high. At least I didn't pick the city that's actually named for being mile high city. NHO Leadville, but being the highest city in the US, but that's a good geo fact to know, apparently. I then went through precious metals - Silver Springs, Golden Corral...but ran out of gas.

I said "whirlpool" for Jacuzzi - I'm giving it to myself, since I'd probably get BMSed, and I obviously do know what a Jacuzzi is. In fact, I know that they're kind of snippy about Jacuzzi being a generalized trademark. That said, with a name like Jacuzzi that doesn't quite roll off the tongue, there's a 20% shot that I'd be tongue-tied.

Johnson's impeachment is, sadly, one that I didn't get because of in-depth knowledge of the historical event, but just because I recently memorized the US Presidents in order. Didn't memorize the years by heart yet, but figured it was the first post-Lincoln.

I goofed on Glen Campbell, and thought Willie Nelson did Rhinestone Cowboy. I guess subconsciously I was thinking of Willie, since I'd just watched a DVR of Julio Iglesias get a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
davey

Post by davey »

I've heard of Leadville, but the fact of its elevation, which so many here relied on, has escaped me till now.... Honestly, I don't think I would ever have considered a nonprecious metal as a response for this clue (though the ore/metal distinction doesn't bother me). I was impressed with the Golden response when I saw it, but the best I could come up with was Silver Spring. Yes, I know it's in MD, but why couldn't CO have one too...?? :oops: :oops:
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

threearruda wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 pmI saw US Cities -> 10,000 feet, what's higher than Denver?
Higher than Denver? How long a list would you like? Boulder, Golden, Aspen, Colorado Springs, Durango, Vail, Glenwood Springs, ...

Denver is not all that high by Colorado standards.

I think I've heard of Leadville - the name seems familiar. But this is definitely a J! bit of knowledge rather than broader general trivia - at least in the way it's presented this time.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am
threearruda wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 pmI saw US Cities -> 10,000 feet, what's higher than Denver?
Higher than Denver? How long a list would you like? Boulder, Golden, Aspen, Colorado Springs, Durango, Vail, Glenwood Springs, ...
Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Flagstaff...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Jonathan Pryce was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Duke Ellington, Glen Campbell, (George Orwell), Daniel Defoe, (1930's), Tanager

For Mononita, Daniel Deronda is a fictional character created by George Eliot.

I remember Leadville as a stumper in one of Matt Jackson's games. It said it was the USA's highest incorporated city.
Douglas Squasoni
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The Duke Ellington TS was sad. He's arguably America's greatest composer.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm I remember Leadville as a stumper in one of Matt Jackson's games. It said it was the USA's highest incorporated city.
I got as far as Little Rock, with a paltry elevation of 335 feet.

There are 11 hits in the archive for Leadville before this FJ!, with 2 asking for the city, and both of those were triple stumpers. In the above instance, players were even spotted “-ville.”