Fourth Podium Poll for 10/22/2019 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers did you get?

$800 WHAT DO YOU LOVE?: Theology (Ryan guessed religion)
77%
$400 COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA: (Jimmy with clue) When you have two independent clauses that are separated by a comma, it's called a comma this, and it's to be avoided. Instead, try adding a conjunction. (see pic in first post)
51%
$2,000 POTPOURRI: This little metal piece at the front of a gun barrel acts as a sight; marksmen "draw" it when they line up a target
51%
$2,000 BRIDGES: The Gateshead Millennium Bridge near Newcastle tilts sideways to let boats on this river pass (pic in first post if you think it'll help)
38%
$1,600 CLASSICAL MUSIC: In this piece, the oboe & bassoon help depict a celebration on the treeless Mount Triglav
49%
$1,200 CLASSICAL MUSIC: Joseph Haydn helped create this orchestral form & wrote more than 100 of them, many with nicknames like "The Hen" (Andre guessed the waltz)
45%
DD2 - $1600 clue in SAINTS: According to tradition, St. Mark's remains were stolen from Alexandria, taken to this European city, lost & rediscovered (Andre negged with Florence and lost $3400)
57%
DD3 - $800 clue in CLASSICAL MUSIC: This piece by Tchaikovsky depicts Napoleon's retreat from Moscow (Martha negged with "The French March" and lost $3500)
83%

Total votes: 69

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 10/22/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

I really thought this was a game that could be won from the fourth podium with a correct FJ response. But it turns out there was only $8000 of lach trash, not enough to get ahead of Martha, the only contestant who got FJ right. (There were also, as hbomb1947 reminded me, a couple of costly DD misses. These can't be used for a hypothetical fourth podium win, but I think they're worth including.) Since I've already done all the work, here's the poll. Take the poll if you like and then report how much trash you picked up. Feel free to give yourself credit if you would've clammed on a clue initially but picked it up on the rebound after the incorrect response.
ANSWERS
$800 WHAT DO YOU LOVE?: God
$400 COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA: Talking about a comma splice.
$2,000 POTPOURRI: You draw a bead. It's a bead.
$2,000 BRIDGES: And that would be the Tyne--T-y-n-e.
$1,600 CLASSICAL MUSIC: And that would be "A Night on Bald Mountain."
$1,200 CLASSICAL MUSIC: Much longer piece--symphonies
DD2 - $1600 clue in SAINTS: No. St. Mark associated very much with the city of Venice.
DD3 - $800 clue in CLASSICAL MUSIC: The 1812 Overture
Pic for $400 COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA, COMMA clue

Pic for $2,000 BRIDGES clue

Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 10/22/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Maybe it's just my phone, but the photos are causing the check boxes to be pushed off the screen to where I can't access them.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 pm I really thought this was a game that could be won from the fourth podium with a correct FJ response. But it turns out there was only $8000 of lach trash, not enough to get ahead of Martha, the only contestant who got FJ right.
Well, there were also 2 missed DD's, both of which I suspect had high get rates among boardies; and particularly on the $800 one in DJ, many of us likely would have wagered huge on them.

On the "Night on Bald Mountain" clue, I kept waiting for them to play a portion of it for some reason. If I had just focused on parsing the words of the clue, I'm sure I would have gotten it. But Alex revealed the response before I got to that point.

ETA: I picked up $4,800 in Lach Trash plus the 2 DD's.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only theology for me for a mostly quiet 4th podium although I did sweep the DDs including knowing where to place St. Mark.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:03 pm Maybe it's just my phone, but the photos are causing the check boxes to be pushed off the screen to where I can't access them.
Thanks for the heads up. I've moved the pics from the poll into the first post. Fortunately, that didn't zero the results, so I think we're all good.
davey

Post by davey »

I got them all but the river - if they had started at the top, Thames would have been eliminated. and I might have taken another second to remember it's Newcastle-on-Tyne... :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Newcastle-on-Tyne rings a bell, but it got lost in the shuffle.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 pm I really thought this was a game that could be won from the fourth podium with a correct FJ response. But it turns out there was only $8000 of lach trash, not enough to get ahead of Martha, the only contestant who got FJ right.
Well, there were also 2 missed DD's, both of which I suspect had high get rates among boardies; and particularly on the $800 one in DJ, many of us likely would have wagered huge on them.
Excellent point. That definitely contributed to my impression that this was a game with surprising misses. I thought I could add two lines to the poll without zeroing out the responses to the first six, but... apparently not. So if you want your answers recorded for posterity, you'll all have to take the poll again. Dreadfully sorry.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

No problem with bead and the 1812 Overture.
The St. Mark's clue was too confusing with all the grave robbing talk. Ask me to pick a St. Mark'y European city and I say Venice.
Likewise with the picture of the bridge just floored me from any chance of connecting the Newcastle-on-Tyne Pavlov. That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen - how the hell do they handle the torque???
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I wasn't paying close enough attention to the return and missed the category on theology so while my score's 3/8, deep down, I only went 3/7.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, Newcastle-upon-Tyne was mentioned in the J!6 clue for the Saint category.

Honestly thought Symphonies would poll higher.
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

$800 WHAT DO YOU LOVE?: Theology (Ryan guessed religion)
Only theology for me [...]
[...] missed the category on theology [...]
The clue read "theophile", not "theology".
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I got everything but comma splice, Venice, and the Tyne.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

100%. I even got Tyne after my recording hiccupped, skipping the rest of the clue from the middle of "sideways." "Well, they mentioned Newcastle; they probably wanted the river."
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

I got everything except Tyne and Venice. Not surprising, since classical music is one of my "bet it all" categories.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Only missed the mountain.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Got them all, but being good at classical music by Jeopardy standards (certainly not by University Challenge standards, as those audio questions wreck me regularly). When the 1812 Overture DD was missed, I felt pretty sure that category was going to be a buzzsaw for players.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

All but symphonies, which I overthought. With the DDs and FJ, I would have given them a run for the money from the 4th podium.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Said "church" for Theophile
NHO "comma splice"
Couldn't believe the contestants couldn't draw a bead on that clue...
Have seen pics of that bridge, wouldn't have thought of the river in 1000 years
Classical Music is one of my better categories... Ran thru the five easily, tho I needed the "treeless" help on Bald Mountain
Guessed correctly on Venice, not sure why I picked it, but there ya go. :)

p.s. the pics don't show here... Just a big space and a symbol showing nothing is there (dunno what that's called)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:47 pm Said "church" for Theophile
Church == Ecclesiophile
Douglas Squasoni