Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 am
jeffwolfe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 am Because Centers for Disease Control is a former name, would they have accepted Center for Disease Control, another former name?
Oooh, good question. If they look at Centers for Disease Control as a shortening of the full name, they might say no. But if they look at both as, as you say, former names, they'd say yes. I lean toward yes myself, but I'd be curious to see an actual ruling. And until then, I won't know how strongly I feel about this. :)
It's worth noting that the original abbreviation was also CDC - for Communicable Disease Center. And then NCDC (N for National) for some years in the 60s. Then back to CDC. I could see a clue based on that history...

https://www.cdc.gov/museum/timeline/
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Three in TV Show "Me".)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rainbow, Laila Ali, Miller, Cameroon, Zomboid, Pemex, Lake Superior, (Let Freedom Ring), Josephine Baker, Civil Rights Act
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,600
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: rainbow, Laila Ali, Miller, Cameroon, Pemex, Lake Superior, let freedom ring (DD), Civil Rights Act

For me, FJ! was a coin flip between the two Dashiell Hammett characters. The result of the flip made me want to spoonerize the author's name. I wasn't sure if the clue really just boiled down to "detective who is married," and apparently it did.
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm
jev15 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm Did anyone else think Allyson mispronounced Herrod's? Sounded more like "Herrah's" to me.
Mrs. Penguin and I both thought she very clearly said Harrod, with no s on the end. We backed it up and listened again and still couldn't hear the s. Apparently the judges did, or at least didn't notice that they didn't. Closed caption said Harrod's.
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm
jev15 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm Did anyone else think Allyson mispronounced Herrod's? Sounded more like "Herrah's" to me.
Mrs. Penguin and I both thought she very clearly said Harrod, with no s on the end. We backed it up and listened again and still couldn't hear the s. Apparently the judges did, or at least didn't notice that they didn't. Closed caption said Harrod's.
I heard "Harrod" as well.
Sprinkles are for winners.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 am still trying to figure out how the civil rights act was a triple stumper
especially after the Voting Rights neg!
Playing devils advocate it might be that they couldn’t come with the exact name of the civil rights act in time. I would have been 100% on the words “civil rights”, but about 70% on the word “act”.
Last edited by talkingaway on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 am Another frustrating FJ for me...I ended up with Spade only because I blanked on the name Marlowe, which I thought was more likely.
I said Marlowe for you... :P

Head slap on the reveal, I've heard of Nick and Nora Charles (and of course Asta), but they just weren't on my radar.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Very painful FJ for me, and it’s because I’m a connoisseur of that era of hard boiled fiction. Precalled something to do with Dashiell Hammett. On the clue reveal, I knew that was the tail end of Hammett’s career, and that it was too early for Chandler. Knew it wasn’t the Continental Op, Sam Spade, or Ned Beaumont (the protagonist of The Glass Key, Hammett’s fourth and perhaps best novel; also, Beaumont was never a detective). Thought about James M. Cain, but none of his stuff fit either. So I went with Spade just to write something down. Never even thought about Nick Charles, because I despise that book, which is far and away Hammett’s worst novel, and it never comes to mind when the topic of Hammett comes up because I’ve written it off. Blinded by my personal tastes! Ugh...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Went with Poirot on FJ, never heard of the intended response. :?

How on Earth was Lake Superior A TS when spotted Gitchee Gumee? To anyone who missed this, your homework assignment is to go on YouTube & listen to " The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.". :o
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

DBear wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:23 pm Went with Poirot on FJ, never heard of the intended response. :?

How on Earth was Lake Superior A TS when spotted Gitchee Gumee? To anyone who missed this, your homework assignment is to go on YouTube & listen to " The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.". :o

You should really have read the song of Hiawatha by Longfellow.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.