Friday, October 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Friday, October 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:33 pm I was in the audience for the taping for this episode and the previous one. There was a big group of pancreatic cancer survivors and supporters who showed up wearing purple shirts. If the show said anything about them I missed it. There was a shot of them in the audience before one of the commercial breaks. It was nice that they came out to show support.
And it was touching when new champ Kris in his interview segment related his support for cancer patients.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 am FJ was definitely a WECIB?
Yes, because "women's suffrage" is literally the only phrase in the English language that begins with "women's".
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Johnny pronounced Toronto incorrectly, with a hard t. It's pronounced either with silent t, Turonno, or a soft t, Turondo, which is how Alex pronounced it.

Lol at cattle crane.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:06 am There's a "Pro Bowl"?!?
Allegedly. I've never met anyone who's seen it though, so I have my doubts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:52 am Johnny pronounced Toronto incorrectly, with a hard t. It's pronounced either with silent t, Turonno, or a soft t, Turondo, which is how Alex pronounced it.

Lol at cattle crane.
seeing trebek butchers asian words on a regular basis, i will continue to pronounce toronto anyway i feel like and i go with the hard t and long o for all 3 of them...his pronunciation of gangnam still annoys me to this day
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:55 am
Just so you know TPH, yes there's a Pro Bowl. It's the NFL's all-star game. It's also godawful, unwatchable trash, so most diehard football fans wouldn't watch it even with a gun to their heads, which is what Volante is alluding to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 am
Yes, because "women's suffrage" is literally the only phrase in the English language that begins with "women's".
Fairly confident the weekly poll results will bear this out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:27 am
So where's the thuddingly obvious TOM that I missed?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 am So where's the thuddingly obvious TOM that I missed?
There's none to miss. We know things; you don't.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:55 am
Might be a fun thing to poll if there's room.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:46 pm
jeopardy contestants showing once again they are atrocious with sports and they also continue to demonstrate how bad they are with african geography...there are 4 rivers on that continent that everyone should know...one was erased by a wrong answer, the nile was obviously not going to be correct, which then leaves niger and zambezi...niger is north, so what else was it going to be?
I've never found it hard to remember that the river that starts with a Z borders the countries that start with Zs. Never underestimate the effect of the lights and camera though...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:51 am
jeopardy contestants showing once again they are atrocious with sports and they also continue to demonstrate how bad they are with african geography...there are 4 rivers on that continent that everyone should know...one was erased by a wrong answer, the nile was obviously not going to be correct, which then leaves niger and zambezi...niger is north, so what else was it going to be?
I've never found it hard to remember that the river that starts with a Z borders the countries that start with Zs. Never underestimate the effect of the lights and camera though...
actually never even thought about that mnemonic device to remember that river...now that is a very easy way to remember it....i know it because i had planned on going on a booze cruise down the river about 10 years ago, but ended up having to scrap it
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 am
So how do some people get into Parliament?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hugo Z wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 am
So how do some people get into Parliament?

A wizard did it.

Do Brits typically know how our presidents and such are elected? I bet not one single Brit knows what the electoral college even is.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I agree that "Women's ____" is a big red arrow pointing to "suffrage" - and, I'm happy to say I spelled it right. I knew how to spell it even before Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corrola did a sketch on the lame "The Man Show" where they got people to sign petitions to "end women's suffrage". I think I might have gotten it right without the "women", though, because of the movie "Suffragette", which pointed to the right time period - 1918 would lead to the 100th anniversary being in 2018, the year given in the clue, and the movie was set in the lead-up to suffrage in Britain.

The Latin scholar in me said "Via appia" instead of "Appian way", but I'm no Russian expert - I bumbled the word "Volga" into "Volkov". And I could picture Sam Elliot's mustache in my head for his clue, but clammed when I could only thing of Sam Waterston - ironically, both are in Netflix's "Grace and Frankie".

And klutz is a triple stumper? Oy gevalt. For the record, the schlemiel is the person who spills the soup on the schlimazel.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:28 pm How did Erin not get negged for clearly saying Enslee for the Gov of WA?
I've listened to it over and over and it's not so clear. She may have - she may not. Alex would have been justified asking her to repeat - once the moment has gone by, it's too uncertain to neg.
Kris leaving the i sound out of balalaika is worse, but I'm not shocked that they let it go...
I'm surprised no one has argued that sufferage adds a syllable... :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:03 am
actually never even thought about that mnemonic device to remember that river...now that is a very easy way to remember it....i know it because i had planned on going on a booze cruise down the river about 10 years ago, but ended up having to scrap it
And the Niger River borders Nambia and Norway, and the Congo runs through Costa Rica and Cartoum. Fun Facts.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:03 am
And the Niger River borders Nambia and Norway, and the Congo runs through Costa Rica and Cartoum. Fun Facts.
i don't get it
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Sam Elliott, Allen Iverson(Bad Miss.), Leonard, Jay Inslee, and Jason Kidd.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Klutz, Zambezi, Big East, Tarantula, Egret
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

There used to be a roller coaster in Kansas City called the Zambezi Zinger, famous for having no seatbelts. I think it got reassembled somewhere in South America and still runs.