Friday, October 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, October 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:28 pm How did Erin not get negged for clearly saying Enslee for the Gov of WA?
I've listened to it over and over and it's not so clear. She may have - she may not. Alex would have been justified asking her to repeat - once the moment has gone by, it's too uncertain to neg.
Kris leaving the i sound out of balalaika is worse, but I'm not shocked that they let it go...
I'm surprised no one has argued that sufferage adds a syllable... :roll:
Watch her mouth. It's shaped like she's saying an "En" sound as opposed to an "In" sound.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm
davey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:28 pm How did Erin not get negged for clearly saying Enslee for the Gov of WA?
I've listened to it over and over and it's not so clear. She may have - she may not. Alex would have been justified asking her to repeat - once the moment has gone by, it's too uncertain to neg.
Kris leaving the i sound out of balalaika is worse, but I'm not shocked that they let it go...
I'm surprised no one has argued that sufferage adds a syllable... :roll:
Watch her mouth. It's shaped like she's saying an "En" sound as opposed to an "In" sound.
OK, I see what you mean, but "face shape" is not a standard I can live with...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:54 pm I agree that "Women's ____" is a big red arrow pointing to "suffrage"
Citation very, very heavily needed.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I didn't hear it that way, but in any case it doesn't matter. Many people don't distinguish between those vowels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonologi ... pen_merger

I agree with Davey that "balalaka" was a more egregious case.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Is balance no longer a thing anymore? This FJ was pure WECIB, far easier than the rest this week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I've been doing some flashcarding lately to fill in gaps in my knowledge, especially geography. But I got burned by a mistake in this game, as my card had the Limpopo River running between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Remember kids, be careful not to transfer over contestant wrong answers when searching the J-Archive.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:39 pm Women's _______, a FJ? Sure J! writers. Thank goodness it was a lock, it would've sucked to have a slam dunk like that hand the win to the leader.

NBA legend/coach ____ Kidd (my precall), a TS, even with a picture. Either there were no sports fans up there, or I'm getting old.
Like many on here, I wondered if they should have accepted "Sufferage", since properly pronouncing that adds a syllable. However, according to a number of online sources, "sufferage" is an at least somewhat accepted (mis)spelling of the word.

Yeah, Jason Kidd, the guy I watched play many many MANY times at his high school... A totally unbelievable experience!
First thing I thought of when the category name came up. I was telling everyone who asked about him that he was a lock Hall-of-Fame guy, even before he ever stepped on the court at Cal Berzerkely.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,000
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: klutz, Allen Iverson, Big East, tarantula, Jason Kidd

Shockingly easy FJ! after a week of rough ones.

Between the Reggie Miller clue on Wednesday and Iverson and Kidd tonight, J! has covered all three of the superstars whose teams the Lakers beat in the NBA Finals during the Shaq/Kobe threepeat. (In order, even!)
Sprinkles are for winners.