Monday, October 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Yup, I'm on the "pumpkin" train, as well. When I saw that clue, I was waiting for the correction to come in at the commercial break, and...nothing. It was asking for the name of "this Halloween gourd", not necessarily a "carved gourd", which would have been a better clue for "jack-o-lantern". I'm cheating and clawing back my $200. At the very least, that's a BMS. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a poorly designed clue.

Speaking of rulings - just "Onassis" for "Aristotle Onassis", when they gave "Jackie" in the clue? Alex has "Which one?"-ed Teddy/Franklin Roosevelt, so why not a "Which Onassis?" on this? I know the rules generally say that the last name is sufficient, but I think in this case it's really, really easy to get this right without knowing the first name - it essentially becomes the much easier "What was Jackie O's full last name?"

No clue on FJ, but no whining here. It's a Thing I Should Have Known, that Roeblings are the designers of the Brooklyn Bridge. I watch to learn.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am Game show royalty in the house!
who?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 pm NHO "Kettlebell". Poll request?

20th Century for $1200 absolutely reeked of negbait for Dada. Even after the two negs I was like "Bwuh? That's totally Dada! How is it not? What else could it even BE?!"

Did anyone else find the Crossword Clues extremely tough? I got only $400 and have NHO the other four.

====

Ran Candy.

3/5 in Music. NHO Lizzo. "Running on Empty" rang a bell but I've never matched it to a singer before.

Goodall was my only get in Time 100.

2.0 could be a C, D, or F for all I know. That seemed tricky for the top box.

DJ! ate my lunch with only 6 right and 2 wrong.

19th century + crossing in a carriage? Brooklyn Bridge it is.

Lach Trash: cartilage, Lewis Carroll

====
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:23 pm He was also in the audience in Dec. 1986 (before the audience was shown on-camera regularly, so whether or not you believe Alex's Final Jeopardy remark about it is up to you) as well:
Wink was also in the audience of last week's Wheel episodes, apparently.
ah...wink is who people were talking about in above threads...dude that shares his name with a baltimore ravens' coach
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 pm NHO "Kettlebell". Poll request?0

Did anyone else find the Crossword Clues extremely tough? I got only $400 and have NHO the other four.
No (deep sigh), only you....
Considering it was a top-box triple stumper, I would say at least three other people didn't know "kettlebell" either.
i didn't get it correct, but i have heard of it before
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 pm So Kris holds back $1k for no good reason, which not only costs him 2nd place because of Diana's similarly poor wager, but wasn't even enough to win the game on a single get!? *sigh* The TOC can't get here fast enough.

Instaget FJ. Shocking, I know.
i enjoy people costing themselves...not sure why others don't...though my main reason for watching the show is for the trivia content and not the actual competition, so it doesn't really bother me what they do...just an added bonus when they are clueless when it comes to strategy
davey

Post by davey »

I imagine...
A pumpkin is a gourd even in December, but a "distinctive" Halloween gourd is always a jack-o-lantern,,,
That's how the writers/judges would justify the ruling, anyway...I got it wrong too... :roll:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Enough with the Kids Week FJ clues already.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 pm Speaking of rulings - just "Onassis" for "Aristotle Onassis", when they gave "Jackie" in the clue? Alex has "Which one?"-ed Teddy/Franklin Roosevelt, so why not a "Which Onassis?" on this?
I think it gets down to whether there'd be some way to confuse the two and I'm pretty sure most people realize that Jackie Onassis was not a Greek shipping magnate.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Overall very fun game to watch. Congrats to Steve on a nice first showing. Let's hope he can end the "one-game curse" that's been going on the past 5 days.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Wait, isn't a turnip jack-o-lantern still a jack-o-lantern?

...well, Google says yes. I actually thought jack-o-lantern was the trap in that clue, since a jack-o-lantern isn't necessarily a pumpkin, so pumpkin, which does have to be a pumpkin, had to be right... and it was wrong :P.

On the other hand, I have no one to blame but myself for picking the Golden Gate Bridge in FJ! Turns out that bridge is much, much newer than I had realized :oops:.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm Yeah. I felt pretty good about it while totally blowing past the Roebling clue. John and Washington Roebling being the architects
Ahem, engineers.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lewis Carroll being a TS was just inexplicable.

Not quite an instaget FJ, but close enough.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm Yeah. I felt pretty good about it while totally blowing past the Roebling clue. John and Washington Roebling being the architects
Ahem, engineers.
What's the difference? (I'm hoping for at least one punchline supplied by each side here.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

At the risk of being unpopular with the pumpkin crowd:

"A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds"

To me, 'pumpkin' doesn't fit the clue, because the tradition didn't lead to pumpkins, evolution did. The tradition led to the *use* of pumpkins in jack o'lanterns. Awkwardly worded clue, I agree, but to me, jack o'lantern is the better fit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 am At the risk of being unpopular with the pumpkin crowd:

"A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds"

To me, 'pumpkin' doesn't fit the clue, because the tradition didn't lead to pumpkins, evolution did. The tradition led to the *use* of pumpkins in jack o'lanterns. Awkwardly worded clue, I agree, but to me, jack o'lantern is the better fit.
But we shouldn't have to rely on picking which of the two options goes with 51% right or 49% right. Someone was being too cutesy with the wording, doubly so on a top row when time is of the essence. Jack-o-lanterns are not gourds. They are made from gourds. No reason why they couldn't have used 'decorations' over 'gourds'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, even Alex was taken aback by the Lewis Carroll stand-and-stare.

Now a good poll question would be, "I fully expected a reversal on the jack-o'-lantern clue during the interviews."

My eye fell onto the word "Roebling" when the clue came up. Done. Hit fast forward.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

My main beef with the pumpkin/jack-o-lantern question is...from a pedagogical standpoint, what knowledge are you testing for? Is it the distinction between a pumpkin and a jack-o-lantern? Is it that jack-o-lanterns are hollowed out gourds, while pumpkins are not necessarily hollowed out?

I'd write it as "A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to the modern tradition of hollowing out gourds for this Halloween decoration". Sticking in "decoration" helps - yeah, you can decorate with plain pumpkins, but when you hollow them out, you call them jack-o-lanterns. The clue said "these...gourds", so it's looking for a type of gourd. A jack-o-lantern isn't a gourd - it's made from a gourd. Pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, and zucchini are gourds.

I suppose the counterargument would be that we can say an article of clothing is a "silk dress", and if I point at and touch the material and ask, "What is that?", you'd probably say, "It's silk." But you wouldn't be wrong to say "It's a dress", either.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 pm
Ahem, engineers.
What's the difference? (I'm hoping for at least one punchline supplied by each side here.)
An architect could design a pretty bridge, but without the help of a civil engineer that pretty bridge could end up in the river rather than spanning it. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 pm I imagine...
A pumpkin is a gourd even in December, but a "distinctive" Halloween gourd is always a jack-o-lantern,,,
That's how the writers/judges would justify the ruling, anyway...I got it wrong too... :roll:
I think it was a poor clue, but I also feel like only jack o'lantern should have been accepted. Hollowed out turnips with candles in them in no way led to pumpkins. Pumpkins already existed. What it led to was hollowed out and carved pumpkins we know as jack o'lanterns.

edit: really I think they should have reversed on the "pumpkin" response, though. Even though it doesn't technically fit it's such a poorly worded clue that it's nit-picking not to accept it.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 pm Ahem, engineers.
An architect could design a pretty bridge, but without the help of a civil engineer that pretty bridge could end up in the river rather than spanning it. :D
But only if it's used incorrectly.