Tuesday, October 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Queen Elizabeth II, tentmaker, teak

Glad I watched Rear Window a year or two ago. Fun fact (that I think I've mentioned here before): the aspiring songwriter in the film was played by none other than Ross "David Seville" Bagdasarian.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:40 pm
A Temperance Brennan novel: "___ Bones" (referring to the number of bones in the body)
If you're going to set this as a row 5 clue, even in the Jeopardy! Round, leave off that parenthetical.
Even worse was the $2000 clue in Elemental Etymology. It's a bottom-row clue in DJ!, they give us both the Gaul and the gallus entry points, and they still felt the need to give the element's symbol?! Come the heck on.
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:07 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm 57 R (Missed Tony Shalhoub, Trent Raznor(Didn't recognize him by the picture.), and Dry Rot.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Land of the Free, Alien, Sinker, QE2, Asteroid, Tent Maker, Teak, Staves
neither did i...he didn't look like what i had remembered, but still got it correct based on the clue...didn't need the picture to pull it out
The picture actually threw me off. The credentials screamed Trent Reznor, but the picture looked nothing like I remember him from NIN's heyday, so I clammed.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

Digging dog took me to Lassie, which I pretty quickly rejected as murder would not be a topic covered in a Lassie film, if she ever made the crossover from TV to film. And that left me with exactly nothing. I've never been a fan of Hitchcock, and couldn't name a movie of his beyond Psycho.
--Peter
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:30 am Digging dog took me to Lassie, which I pretty quickly rejected as murder would not be a topic covered in a Lassie film, if she ever made the crossover from TV to film. And that left me with exactly nothing. I've never been a fan of Hitchcock, and couldn't name a movie of his beyond Psycho.
Lassie started as a film star. There were 7 Lassie movie between 1943 and 1951, though probably only the first, Lassie Come Home (based on a novel), is remembered today (or would show up on J!). The last movie featuring Lassie came out in 2005. BTW, one of the films, The Painted Hills, apparently contains a murder plot.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:13 am Even worse was the $2000 clue in Elemental Etymology. It's a bottom-row clue in DJ!, they give us both the Gaul and the gallus entry points, and they still felt the need to give the element's symbol?! Come the heck on.
I was a chemistry major, and I goofed on that one, calling it Gall-in-ium. Honestly, I think I went through four years of undergrad without ever hearing it said out loud, nor ever reading it except when I was staring at the periodic table in the back of my textbooks while it was in my way when looking up aluminum or silicon.

I do agree that for a $2000 clue, they shouldn't have essentially spotted the first two letters. The "France is Gaul" clue should have been more than enough. Although I'm always wary of relying on dollar amounts to gauge clue difficulty - I've found many bottom row clues to be some of the easiest in their respective column, and many top row clues to be confounding.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 am you got trent reznor? very weird seeing i didn't think you knew anything about music apart from country and western music
You must now listen to 10 hours of Willie, Waylon, and Merle as penance for your sin of calling it "country and western". I honestly thought that no one still said that unironically in 2019.
You don't think he could possibly be yanking your chain, do you? :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 am you got trent reznor? very weird seeing i didn't think you knew anything about music apart from country and western music
You must now listen to 10 hours of Willie, Waylon, and Merle as penance for your sin of calling it "country and western". I honestly thought that no one still said that unironically in 2019.
You don't think he could possibly be yanking your chain, do you? :D
Or he could tell me for the 100th time that nobody cares how many Mark Chesnutt songs I know and recommend that I listen to some Metallica instead. As if I don't already.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:13 am Even worse was the $2000 clue in Elemental Etymology. It's a bottom-row clue in DJ!, they give us both the Gaul and the gallus entry points, and they still felt the need to give the element's symbol?! Come the heck on.
I was a chemistry major, and I goofed on that one, calling it Gall-in-ium. Honestly, I think I went through four years of undergrad without ever hearing it said out loud, nor ever reading it except when I was staring at the periodic table in the back of my textbooks while it was in my way when looking up aluminum or silicon.

I do agree that for a $2000 clue, they shouldn't have essentially spotted the first two letters. The "France is Gaul" clue should have been more than enough. Although I'm always wary of relying on dollar amounts to gauge clue difficulty - I've found many bottom row clues to be some of the easiest in their respective column, and many top row clues to be confounding.
I've got a tube of Gallium in my desk, and I don't think I get this from the linguistic angle in regular play. In FJ, yes, of course. It's fun to play with, like mercury but without the fringe benefit of insanity and dementia. It's a solid at room temp and a liquid at body temperature.

I agree it is too easy with the actual symbol given but it is an obscure element, mostly known for it's low melting point and novelty teaspoons. (yeah, III-V semiconductors, I know).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.