Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1865 this city named for an early 19th century British hero became a British colonial capital

Steve Moulds: 16800+14801=31601 (3x = $85,603)
Sam Benshoof: 6200+4000=10200
Dave Bein: 15800-15797=3

Correct response:
Spoiler
Wellington, New Zealand (Dave – Georgetown)

Daily Doubles
Steve: 1400-1400
Steve: 7600+4000
Dave: 7600+2600

Coryats
Steve: 15000
Sam: 6200
Dave: 14400

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steve: 6400
Sam: 2600
Dave: 1600
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fans of Alex's affirmations will like Steve's chat tidbit as he and his wife call it the "triple crown" when Alex says "Good for you" to each contestant. Of course Alex ended his time with Steve using that phrase.

DD2 had "soul" in the wording and for the man playing against Sam & Dave it seemed appropriate. If you got it then, "I Thank You."

DD3 was at clue 20:
Dave did 7600+2600
Steve: 14400
Sam: 3800

Sometimes a player may only get one shot at a DD and when stepping onto that stage it may be necessary to pack some betting nerve. Yes, a drop to only $5,000 could have still kept Dave in contention while I think the better play is to go for the lead in that situation. Even if it is GEOGRAPHIC TERMS.

The FJ! clue was a quick no-doubter solve with everything lining up. It sure beat the race around European/Asian/African capitals I was dreading for some kind of name similarity puzzler.

We'll see if Steve can keep it going after the lunch break. His Coryats of 15600, 17,000 & 15,000 have been consistently good not great making it unsure if he has another gear. Lots of TS clues have me wondering about the knowledge base. Increased buzzer mastery can always help with that problem.

The paydays go big when leading against someone with good money and going 3/3 on the FJ! clues.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

61 clues again today.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm 61 clues again today.
8 days in a row and no warning for less than a minute either. Some kind of change has been implemented as it's not like the players on their own have all of sudden turned things around.

It's smooth whatever is being done as clues can still be lengthy, Jimmy & Sarah still present, multiple images are used, players skip around, category names can be long, Alex still talks at the opening, chats are typical, the TS count can be over 10 missed, there are normal amounts of incorrect responses, DDs are no quicker... And there are still commercial breaks.

Credit to whoever solved the problem as it only makes the show better.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:56 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm 61 clues again today.
8 days in a row and no warning for less than a minute either. Some kind of change has been implemented as it's not like the players on their own have all of sudden turned things around.

It's smooth whatever is being done as clues can still be lengthy, Jimmy & Sarah still present, multiple images are used, players skip around, category names can be long, Alex still talks at the opening, chats are typical, the TS count can be over 10 missed, there are normal amounts of incorrect responses, DDs are no quicker... And there are still commercial breaks.

Credit to whoever solved the problem as it only makes the show better.
At this point, I’m convinced it’s just dark elf magic. The game doesn’t feel faster, but they’re getting through everything.

After a run of tough FJs, this is the fourth pretty easy one in a row, IMO. Early 19th century British military hero is more or less Pavlovian for Wellington or Nelson and there’s no capital called Nelson or Horatioville or something like that.

I went to undergrad with Sam, so I was rooting for him. Sadly, no dice.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “big.” —Bob
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

The chained maiden worth $2k and a TS? Watch the original Clash of the Titans and you'll never forget her name. Or her face and other features. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave made a weak wager on DD3 on a 3rd row clue and it left him short of the lead going into FJ. And then he made the opposite error on his FJ wager. Luckily? it made no difference.

Whether it by accident or purposely, Sam made a good FJ wager from third.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the hell was I supposed to know that thing at $200 was a doughnut? I looked at it 30 times and I still don't remotely see a doughnut. That seemed massively obscure and esoteric.

College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.

Ran Advertising.

0/5 in Cuba Libro. Blanked on "The Old Man and the Sea", no hope on the rest.

I had recently seen a review of "Under the Cherry Moon" and still blanked on it. Conversely, "Anthony Kiedis" was all I needed to get "Under the Bridge".

I could have taken 400 guesses on Thinkers for $400 and never gotten to "illness". What even was the TOM there? Even more, I got the next three with ease.

"Coup de grace" is one of those phrases I've heard a billion times but never deduced the meaning of. My only miss in that category.

All but "beta carotene" in Animals.

No guess on FJ! Didn't realize NZ had anything to do with Britain. Doesn't help that no matter how many times I beat "Wellington" into my brain, I still think that Auckland is the capital of NZ. It just sounds like it should be a capital, dammit!

Lach Trash: butterfly stroke, curiosity, dugong
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm
College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.

I could have taken 400 guesses on Thinkers for $400 and never gotten to "illness". What even was the TOM there? Even more, I got the next three with ease.
I agree with you on Salt Lake City - I fell into that same trap.

The TOM for "illness" was that Mary Baker Eddy is J!-Pavlovian for "Christian Science", and Christian Scientist is real-world-Pavlovian for "doesn't go to the doctor". I'm pretty sure MBE has been in another clue just this season - although maybe it was some of the older J! questions I've been doing.

I got "sickness" (or maybe "illness" - either way, synonym was good), quickly veering away from incorrectly qualifying it with "mental illness" - although I imagine Christian Scientists think that "mental illness" is all in the mind, too. A Pyrrhic victory for mental health care parity, I suppose?

I think one of the first contest prizes I ever won was tickets to the (local Atlanta) premier of "The Mambo Kings", so I got that one right. I was about 15 years old, and called in to a radio station's "Lost Lyrics" contest. I forget what song lyrics I got right, but it was back in the day before you could google everything, so you actually had to know the song the lyrics came from.

As soon as I saw the flamingos, I started trying to remember what on earth they ate to make themselves pink. Useless, as the question was going for the chemical. If I'd spent my thinking time wisely, I could have gotten there - human skin can turn yellow/orange from eating too many carrots, which are high in beta-carotene.

No clue on FJ!. Something I gotta learn. Dumb guess: Johannesburg. Knew it was Dutch from South African colonial history, but...oops, it's not even one of the THREE capitals! And, wait...South African has three capitals? Someone get me out of this Googling rabbit hole....

Weird fact: My Coryat for today's show and yesterday's show are exactly the same.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

DJ nearly broke my brain today. 1/5 on Under the... and American Thinkers.

FJ had me thinking of the Caribbean briefly before I settled in the right part of the world.

Lach trash: butterfly, Provo, curiosity, Fayetteville, dugong
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:57 pm The TOM for "illness" was that Mary Baker Eddy is J!-Pavlovian for "Christian Science", and Christian Scientist is real-world-Pavlovian for "doesn't go to the doctor". I'm pretty sure MBE has been in another clue just this season - although maybe it was some of the older J! questions I've been doing.
Eddy = Christian Science I'm familiar with. But considering it seems to be a stand-and-stare every time it comes up (and therefore Lach Trash for me), I think expecting knowledge of their beliefs in the first box is a little steep.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Butterfly? Curiosity? Beta Carotene???

I pulled Dennis Lehane out of the mist, thank you very much

Lost all my money on ^*%(@*# Butte, Montana. Man, I hate this country ;)

Got to Oceania (and finally, to Wellington) at about the 1:57 mark :oops:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm How the hell was I supposed to know that thing at $200 was a doughnut? I looked at it 30 times and I still don't remotely see a doughnut. That seemed massively obscure and esoteric.

Ran Advertising.

I had recently seen a review of "Under the Cherry Moon" and still blanked on it. Conversely, "Anthony Kiedis" was all I needed to get "Under the Bridge".

"Coup de grace" is one of those phrases I've heard a billion times but never deduced the meaning of. My only miss in that category.

No guess on FJ! Didn't realize NZ had anything to do with Britain. Doesn't help that no matter how many times I beat "Wellington" into my brain, I still think that Auckland is the capital of NZ. It just sounds like it should be a capital, dammit!

so you have never seen a new zealand flag? also, you learned recently new zealand has been a dominant rugby team...good chance that was due to having ties to britain..and the easiest association of all...English is the most widely spoken language in that country
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm How the hell was I supposed to know that thing at $200 was a doughnut? I looked at it 30 times and I still don't remotely see a doughnut. That seemed massively obscure and esoteric.

Ran Advertising.

why? salt lake city is home to uni of utah...is a city the size of slc really going to have 2 d1 schools?
davey

Post by davey »

Phineas Quimby, who influenced Mary Baker Eddy, is best known for his theory that this type of problem is all in the mind
How do folks feel about "medical" for this? I don't think the exact concept is very well pinned, which may be a reason nobody responded...
Also, I was sure the candy company was M&M Mars, but I've only found a few references calling it that, not on the Wiki page or the company site...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:28 pm The chained maiden worth $2k and a TS? Watch the original Clash of the Titans and you'll never forget her name. Or her face and other features. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Or you could learn your constellations and the mythology behind them. Oh who am I kidding? The space categories always go last...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm All but "beta carotene" in Animals.
That clue sucked. I hate video clues that are all of the words long and wait until the end to ask for the response. Would've been a DD get for me, but clammed because of time.

And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

If I ever need to use a pseudonym for any reason Phineas Quimby is going to be high on my list.