J-archive spoilers

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: J-archive spoilers

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 pm The timing of archiving has never been a competition and never will be because it's also about reliability and sustainability.
Please, no wagering.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jerome probably did not mean to open such a can of worms. Let's get it settled before the ToC begins next week so that it is clear what I should do or not do in archiving current games.

One thing I could do that would make some happy and others unhappy is to wait a day to archive the current game. Monday, I would do the previous Friday game, Tuesday would be the Monday game for the new week, etc. I will keep weekends for myself and only archive an older game once or twice a month.

Night hours are for TV and sports and not archiving. Ronnie doing a whole season that way was astounding.

I appreciate all the points of view in this thread and do understand why there is discussion.

Please know I am not bothered by the comments or discouraged. I like J! and just want to help out the community of fans as best as I can.

Oh, and by the way, today's 10/31 is complete. :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I like and appreciate the archive very much, and am used to using it as is -- especially when, as has happened for the past 10 days with the World Series, it makes it possible to appreciate the daily show discussion threads without waiting until the discussion is stale to be able to be able to follow what people are saying.

That said, if the archivers want to make any minor timing tweaks, that's fine with me. If the archivers want to leave things as they are, that's fine with me.

I'll simply use it with gratitude either way, and will continue to have appreciation, admiration, and respect for the efforts the archivers put in on behalf of the rest of us.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:54 pm Please, no wagering.
Typing trivia into a web form and pressing a submit button is the best kind of stupid human trick
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:02 pm Jerome probably did not mean to open such a can of worms. Let's get it settled before the ToC begins next week so that it is clear what I should do or not do in archiving current games.

One thing I could do that would make some happy and others unhappy is to wait a day to archive the current game. Monday, I would do the previous Friday game, Tuesday would be the Monday game for the new week, etc. I will keep weekends for myself and only archive an older game once or twice a month.

Night hours are for TV and sports and not archiving. Ronnie doing a whole season that way was astounding.

I appreciate all the points of view in this thread and do understand why there is discussion.

Please know I am not bothered by the comments or discouraged. I like J! and just want to help out the community of fans as best as I can.

Oh, and by the way, today's 10/31 is complete. :D
One hack would be to enter the whole game, sans FJ, which would prevent it from showing up on the home page. Then FJ could be entered after some arbitrary deadline at your leisure.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Were I to have a vote, I would say it is helpful to get the games in as soon as possible. There are times I go to the Archive when I've missed the game, or there was some wording I wanted to get clear, or something like that. The timeliness has always been helpful (when it can be done, obviously).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Could some kind of "potential spoiler!" banner be put up for the current day until after the show has aired in all markets?

I agree with Andy that getting the info up sooner trumps having potential spoilers.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 pm I don't see why that's necessary when the results of the show already appear on this board, on the J! subreddit, and on TJF in late morning of the day an episode airs (i.e., after it airs in the Birmingham market). So the information is already out there, for those who care to look for it, hours before 7:30 pm.
One goes to j-archive for all kinds of reasons, only one of which is to see if the current game is available. One goes to the JBoard game thread for one reason only: to read comments about that particular game. Imagine going to JBoard.tv home page and immediately seeing the results of the current day's game. The "solution" of avoiding JBoard entirely if one's viewing isn't up to date would be less than satisfactory.

In the archive it's worth balancing this concern against the desire to have the game available just as soon as an archivist has entered it. If it's possible to tweak the code so that the current day's FJ doesn't show up on the archive front page until a certain time, I think that would address both concerns. It's fine if the FJ shows up in the actual archived game of course. Anyone who clicks on that link knows what information it will contain.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:34 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 pm I don't see why that's necessary when the results of the show already appear on this board, on the J! subreddit, and on TJF in late morning of the day an episode airs (i.e., after it airs in the Birmingham market). So the information is already out there, for those who care to look for it, hours before 7:30 pm.
One goes to j-archive for all kinds of reasons, only one of which is to see if the current game is available. One goes to the JBoard game thread for one reason only: to read comments about that particular game. Imagine going to JBoard.tv home page and immediately seeing the results of the current day's game. The "solution" of avoiding JBoard entirely if one's viewing isn't up to date would be less than satisfactory.

In the archive it's worth balancing this concern against the desire to have the game available just as soon as an archivist has entered it. If it's possible to tweak the code so that the current day's FJ doesn't show up on the archive front page until a certain time, I think that would address both concerns. It's fine if the FJ shows up in the actual archived game of course. Anyone who clicks on that link knows what information it will contain.
In my quote that you respond to, I was specifically (and only) addressing a concern that posting game info in the archive prior to 7:30 pm Eastern time was at odds with J!'s policy of embargoing press releases about games until that time on the day that the game airs. The spoiler aspect regarding the FJ clue is a separate issue, and I'm not against addressing it if that can be done with a simple code tweak.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I definitely wouldn't want to wait the next day for the archival info to be put up. While I might make brief notes while watching the game of clues I'd I find interesting to discuss in the forum, it's very helpful to be able to refer to the archive when discussing certain clues. So, if it's a choice between having everything on Tuesday's show go up at ~1 PM ET on Tuesday or ~1 PM ET on Wednesday, I'd vote earlier - ie keep it as it is.

I wouldn't mind a tweak to the "Recent FJ!" box on the front page, but I don't think it's a huge deal. And, again, I'm extremely grateful to the archivists who have created this resource - I recognize that just because I'm saying I might like something tweaked so that I might like it better doesn't mean that everyone agrees with that tweak, and I'd also note that just because I think something can be improved doesn't mean that I think it's not excellent to begin with. The archive is a great resource!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 pm The timing of archiving has never been a competition and never will be because it's also about reliability and sustainability. In a month from now the Archive will have been doing it for 15 years. (That's a pretty good run for any website. Most of my favorite websites never lasted that long.)
BTW, my choice of the word competition was referring to the Archive being in competition with airing of the actual show, and whether or not Sony might start frowning at us if we get too good at what we do.

I trust your opinion in all matters of the Archive. If it's intended from the get go as a spoiler space, then no change is necessary.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 pm BTW, my choice of the word competition was referring to the Archive being in competition with airing of the actual show
Oh, yeah, I thought you meant between different sites.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 am
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:51 am Why not just not visit the Archive until watching that day's game?
Agreed. This doesn't seem like a huge issue. Why would you go to the j-archive page for a day's game you didn't want to be spoiled on? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
i don't get it either...i make it a point not to go on twitter after 7pm until i watch the episode, so i don't see that jeopardy fan dude's tweets....not going to archives would be even easier as that site only serves one purpose
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:34 pm

I will note that the degree to which we're talking about "seeing the results" has a lot of variance. We're not talking about actually seeing the Archived game page, only seeing the FJ clue on the home page. I think that's just not a huge concern for most people. I try as much as anyone (most of the time) to stay unspoiled on things like gameplay and who wins and interesting things that happen, and I wouldn't appreciate someone spoiling any of the 61 clues by telling me the response when I haven't seen the clue yet. But if I accidentally stumble onto an FJ clue, (This can happen, sometimes someone will post one on facebook, or I'll accidentally click the wrong game thread on jboard) it's pretty easy to simply read it and try to figure out the answer in 30 seconds. I don't worry about having a stopwatch available or fear for the integrity of the weekly jboard poll.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:02 pm Jerome probably did not mean to open such a can of worms.
That’s right. I’m sorry this escalated

Good job everyone at archive