Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 am
mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 am Poll request: I got Steinbeck but didn't have East of Eden in mind.
I think that's a good way to put it. Or "but didn't know [for sure] which book was being quoted." Or even "even though I knew the quote couldn't be from Grapes of Wrath." The important thing, for me to check the box anyway, is not to stipulate "but I had the wrong book in mind."
But I did have the wrong book in mind, even though I had some doubts about it. So I do hope the poll choice is broad enough to cover those of us who thought the book was Grapes of Wrath.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Mentioned earlier, but in the clue "Hydrogen bonds hold together the strands of this molecular structure discovered in 1953", I really expected her to get her money back at the break. Looking it up, it was the structure that was discovered in 1953; DNA was discovered much earlier. I guess if they had said 'what type of structure', that would have made it clearer what they were looking for.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 pm I just said "this sounds like something from (insert author here)" and didn't think too hard about which book it was
Haha. Perfect. Same here.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am Mentioned earlier, but in the clue "Hydrogen bonds hold together the strands of this molecular structure discovered in 1953", I really expected her to get her money back at the break. Looking it up, it was the structure that was discovered in 1953; DNA was discovered much earlier. I guess if they had said 'what type of structure', that would have made it clearer what they were looking for.
They did. I wondered the same thing, then looked it up in the archive (one plus having the work done early, I didn't have to rewind the DVR)

Hydrogen bonds hold together the strands of this molecular structure discovered in 1953
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am Mentioned earlier, but in the clue "Hydrogen bonds hold together the strands of this molecular structure discovered in 1953", I really expected her to get her money back at the break. Looking it up, it was the structure that was discovered in 1953; DNA was discovered much earlier. I guess if they had said 'what type of structure', that would have made it clearer what they were looking for.
Maybe my nom de plume played a role here, but when that clue came up I was looking away from the screen and I really thought I heard Alex read, "Hydrogen bombs hold together the strands of this molecular structure . . ." Which naturally threw me, and I stayed clam.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Re Final Jeopardy
I misread the clue initially and thought they were looking for a book title; I immediately responded with East of Eden. :D
Upon rereading, I realized they wanted the author, not the book title, and it was an easy leap to Steinbeck.
(I read East of Eden many years ago, never read Grapes of Wrath.)
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

Add me to the list of right author, wrong reason. I think this might be a clue that favors those who don't know too much. I have no idea when GoW was written, so the year didn't distract me. The quote sounds like a story about the dust bowl, so off I went with the standard answer for "dust bowl author".
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm"Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
Cascades should always include Oregon. I can forgive not realizing the range extends into the far north of California, but almost half of the range is in Oregon.

I did get that one easily, mainly because I've visited Mt. Lassen a couple of times.
--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:25 am
Maybe my nom de plume played a role here, but when that clue came up I was looking away from the screen and I really thought I heard Alex read, "Hydrogen bombs hold together the strands of this molecular structure . . ." Which naturally threw me, and I stayed clam.
And 1953 probably saw the first actual H-bomb. The first device in November 1952 was contained in a bunch of buildings. Kind of hard to drop from a plane.
I zoned out on the clue and it was over before I had a chance to process it. I'm not a big fan of mentioning the hydrogen bonding for the TOM. I'd prefer a mention of the four amino acids which is what makes this sucker unique in biochemistry.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mahatma wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm Count me in for 'right author, wrong novel'. Do I smell a poll question?
Let's see if I got this right. The clue led many of us to The Grapes of Wrath, thus to Steinbeck. It was such an obvious red herring that AT even announced it before the reveal.

So probably the writers KNEW that the clue would be unlikely to lead to the right novel. I don't see that that is a very well-written clue (even if I did guess Steinbeck correctly). Something just seems ookie (not Okie) with this.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm "Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
Mount Shasta is in the Cascades and it's right near the California/Oregon border.
Shasta is actually an hour's drive south of the Oregon border... And I believe the clue said "southern end of the Cascades". Lassen is southeast of Shasta by maybe 50-75 miles (he said without looking at a map).

Anyway... I've lived in CA most of my life, and would consider Lassen to be at the north end of the Sierra rather than in the Cascades. Apparently, geographers disagree.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Since it hasn't been mentioned thus far in the thread, I must be the only one that had never heard of a "bath bomb".

Of course, I have been a shower-taker for the last 50 years or so...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:25 am
I heard (or read) the clue the same way and was mystified by the response. But I got swept up in the ongoing game and never went back to check.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The molecule is DeoxyriboNucleic Acid, but the structure of the molecule is a double helix. In a similar fashion, water (H2O) is a molecule that has the structure of "bent at about 104 degrees".

That said, I agree that the question is awkward. Given a little breathing space and non-J! tempo, it's not too hard, especially since the category is YOU'VE FOUND THE DAILY DOUBLE. Yeah, double isn't in quotes, but there's no double in the clue, so theoretically it should have something to do with double in the response. You could put "DNA" in the clue, but then it's basically asking "what's the structure of DNA" with "double" in the category, which makes it way too easy for a bottom row clue.

Plus, I think that the hydrogen bonding was a bit distracting. I think the historical significance of Watson and Crick is that they discovered not only the molecule, but the structure of the molecule. The structure actually plays a key role - as you may recall from bio, the double helix can unzip with the help of enzymes to make two single helices, and each individual single helix can be paired up to create the original double helix, thus meaning the molecule is capable of being replicated easily...hence, the ability of DNA to be the deliverer of hereditary traits.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm Since it hasn't been mentioned thus far in the thread, I must be the only one that had never heard of a "bath bomb".
You aren't.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm Since it hasn't been mentioned thus far in the thread, I must be the only one that had never heard of a "bath bomb".
You aren't.
... and that coming from the HBomb himself! Me neither, BTW.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:18 pm
Anyway... I've lived in CA most of my life, and would consider Lassen to be at the north end of the Sierra rather than in the Cascades. Apparently, geographers disagree.
Lassen is well West of the Sierras. It's E of Redding.

ETA: Maybe I should have looked at a map rather than relying on memory :oops:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Similar to the DNA/double helix issue, I responded "trisomy" to THE SYNDROME SYNDROME for $800. "A person born with the most common type of this condition has an extra copy of chromosome 21 in each cell" For my response to be correct, trisomy 21 would have to be the most common trisomy, which can be debated.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Yellowstone(Could have worked it out.), Sicario(Knew at one time.), and Chris Farley(Unfamiliar film title.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Adam, Father Brown, California, Stonewalling, Haymarket, Brawny, Robust, How to Train Your Dragon, (Captain Nemo), Joseph Conrad
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

nserven wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 am I think "valley" was supposed to be an operative word in the clue, as it refers to the Salinas Valley, which is pavlov for Steinbeck, is mentioned in the first line of East of Eden, and apparently was the original title for the book.
That's the word I latched on to, and it led right to East of Eden since I knew '52 was way too late for The Grapes...
Also (this is not the kind of thing that sticks with me but it does seem to with others), the last time East of Eden was an FJ (9/17/2018), it was referred to as a 1952 novel.
I also don't know what a bath bomb is (though I'm familiar with "bath balm"...!), and I'm not so inclined to find out...