Friday, November 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, November 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

polaris wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 pm Over 250 million of us and outnumber Adventists 10 to 1, so while that is a good guess I wouldn't call it negbait or the right answer inside baseball.
I mean, negbait isn't required to have a correct response that is obscure--it just has to "bait" a wrong response, which, if there's any dispute about it, see the contestants' responses, or this week's poll (I bet).
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:22 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 am Wow, I went for the negbait(is that the right term?) too.
IMO, it is not. Negbait tempts a half-informed player to ring in and neg with the obvious response, and has an overall detrimental effect to the show because it tends to cause gun-shyness, thus silence, thus less entertainment for the home viewer. It also seems unfair to its immediate victim because his incomplete knowledge caused him to lose ground to two opponents who perhaps didn't know enough to be wrong.
I always thought chomping on negbait put you at a disadvantage because your "incomplete knowledge" causes you to lose the clue and the points (and possibly the game) to someone with more complete knowledge. I guess that's just my take on things.

In this case I was sufficiently conversant with the New Testament to get Pentecost immediately, that day when "the disciples were gathered in one place" and the Holy Spirit descended on them like tongues of fire. I'm not surprised that one contestant missed that but I was quite shocked to see it a TS.

On another note, I'm accustomed to hearing contestants say words that they have apparently never heard themselves, but perhaps only read about, and don't know how to pronounce them correctly. I've done that myself, to be sure. That said, I've never heard (as Andrew said in this game) the "TIE-ber" River called the "Tibber." And of course he also seems unfamiliar with Lincoln Logs, which seems unfathomable for anyone who was ever a child in America.

LT: bamboo curtain, shiitake (mushroom) and (Paul) Klee.

And of course the booby prize to Jennifer for failing Wagering Strategy 101 and giving away the game she could have won if only she made a correct FJ wager. *Sigh*

And yes, my meager $3,400 in Lach Trash, doubled in the sole get FJ, won the game for me from the imaginary fourth podium.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

i don't think this FJ! was too "inside baseball". I'm not a particularly religious person, and this was an instaget for me. I really think this is just part of the stuff you ought to know (both for Jeopardy! and for living in the world).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:28 pm i don't think this FJ! was too "inside baseball". I'm not a particularly religious person, and this was an instaget for me. I really think this is just part of the stuff you ought to know (both for Jeopardy! and for living in the world).
I fell for the negbait, and yes, this is inside baseball as you had to know the New Testament event from which the movement (apparently incorrectly referred to in the clue as a denomination) took its name. As a Jewish atheist, this just wasn't something I had come across in my readings of and about the Bible, although I've heard of Pentecostalism.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I didn't get to watch the game... was there TOM in the video clue that would have told you Johnson Space Center vs. Kennedy Space Center?
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:39 pm I didn't get to watch the game... was there TOM in the video clue that would have told you Johnson Space Center vs. Kennedy Space Center?
The wording of the clue said Mission Control. Mission Control is in Houston ("Houston, we have a problem.") The facility in Houston is the Johnson Space Center.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:59 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:39 pm I didn't get to watch the game... was there TOM in the video clue that would have told you Johnson Space Center vs. Kennedy Space Center?
The wording of the clue said Mission Control. Mission Control is in Houston ("Houston, we have a problem.") The facility in Houston is the Johnson Space Center.
Ah. Thanks!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Wow, I went for the negbait(is that the right term?)
Yes, I think this clue can appropriately be classified as negbait
Absolutely.

I've never heard of Pentecostalism.
TPH, is that you?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

How was that Final a TS?! I thought one person might miss with Seventh Day Adventist, but I could never have expected all three of them would give the same incorrect response. "On the seventh day, He rested"... right?
Pentecostalism isn't obscure; you've all seen Assembly of God churches, right? That's the largest Pentecostal denomination in the world.
I had two roommates my freshman year of college: one belonged to the "negbait"; the other belonged to the correct response. We all got along but I haven't heard from them in years.
Hoping for a third lap
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sarisson wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:50 pm How was that Final a TS?! I thought one person might miss with Seventh Day Adventist, but I could never have expected all three of them would give the same incorrect response. "On the seventh day, He rested"... right?
Pentecostalism isn't obscure; you've all seen Assembly of God churches, right? That's the largest Pentecostal denomination in the world.
I had two roommates my freshman year of college: one belonged to the "negbait"; the other belonged to the correct response. We all got along but I haven't heard from them in years.
never heard of pentecostal before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

and there is the sweep...the showing using lame religious material for the final clue allowed me to go 0 for 5 for the week..weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:36 pm
econgator wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Wow, I went for the negbait(is that the right term?)
Yes, I think this clue can appropriately be classified as negbait
Absolutely.

I've never heard of Pentecostalism.
TPH, is that you?
put me down as another person who has never heard of it before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

dumb final jeopardy clue aside, the wagers by the trailing 2 contestants were even dumber...awful wagering...that dude should never have won on a triple stumper
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am The wagering? The board comments about wanting another superchamp woman player cannot happen with that kind of betting.
Christine's all-in wager was actually a reasonable choice in response to the Stratton's Dilemma she was in (although my personal preference is usually to bet small in that scenario).
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I've heard of Pentecostal and the name briefly flashed thru my head... But not knowing what it was, I went off to 7th-Day Adventistville.

I went to a parochial high school which I loved except for the churchy part... So there ya go.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Weirdly, had I been able to come up with the right answer, I would've gotten it. "It's that one that starts with a number in a foreign language probably..."
The closest I got was 'P'...and then moved on... :roll:

7th day never came to mind.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm Weirdly, had I been able to come up with the right answer, I would've gotten it.
Curiously, I can say the same thing for each and every FJ I've missed this season. :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm Weirdly, had I been able to come up with the right answer, I would've gotten it.
Curiously, I can say the same thing for each and every FJ I've missed this season. :lol:
Touché... though the partial quote does leave out some context ;)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I got Pentacostal because I know someone who was raised in s pentacostal family in rural Indiana and now lives in Brooklyn and is in a relationship with a Jewish man. She tells stories of people speaking in tongues and laying hands and handling snakes. Hard to forget.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:36 pm I've heard of Pentecostal and the name briefly flashed thru my head... But not knowing what it was, I went off to 7th-Day Adventistville.

I went to a parochial high school which I loved except for the churchy part... So there ya go.
I went to a little country church growing up and all I know about the Holy Spirit is that our Preacher stumbled all over himself trying to explain how it's One God, and Three Gods, at the same time, and if you look at it then your cat dies - oh, wait, that might be my Physics prof :)

I took the wordplay bait but only came up with Latter DAY Saints, knowing full well it was wrong. But they use the whole Bible plus the Book of Mormon, and besides, yesterday's FJ taught me that as long as it sounds like something, it could be right :).

I always root for Canadians on the show. I guess the other two players felt the same way :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.