Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
darkgreenblue
Contributor
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by darkgreenblue » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:00 pm
All three players are dead to me after the stand-and-stare on the Tom Wolfe clue.
That was embarrassing. It was a classic case where a J! contestant should need only "man in white" -- the rest of the clue was irrelevant. I didn't recognize any of those details (probably because I've never read his books), and I still knew it was Tom Wolfe.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2435
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 pm

darkgreenblue wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm
cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:00 pm
All three players are dead to me after the stand-and-stare on the Tom Wolfe clue.
That was embarrassing. It was a classic case where a J! contestant should need only "man in white" -- the rest of the clue was irrelevant. I didn't recognize any of those details (probably because I've never read his books), and I still knew it was Tom Wolfe.
he was known as "the man in white"? if i see anything about a "a man in white" i would think colonel sanders...only thing i know about this dude was he wrote the right stuff

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7827
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What was the TOM for Frankenstein in Opera/Ballet for $400?
What wasn't? You couldn't have gift-wrapped the clue any more than they did with 1818 novel, Victor (Dr. Frankenstein's first name), and galvanism (Galvani discovered that dissected frogs' legs moved when electricity was applied to their muscles).
This 1818 novel has been adapted as a ballet with an experimentalist named Victor & the discovery of galvanism
I couldn't give you even a century when asked when Frankenstein was written, didn't know Dr. Frankenstein's first name, and got "galvanism" confused with "galvanization". So I was utterly baffled at what famous work would have had someone experimenting with putting protective layers on steel, and would've been adapted into a ballet to boot.

It was just a total word salad that I couldn't make the tiniest bit of sense out of. The pieces just weren't remotely adding up.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

A Wray
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:11 pm
"GUY" versus "GHEE" is basically just a different in English versus French pronunciations. "Guy" in English is pronounced GHEE in French. And since Guyana is former British Guiana, I don't think it's particularly inappropriate to ask for a BMS on "Guiana". I would even go so far as to say an expected response of "Suriname" might deserve a BMS on "Guiana" unless the clue is expressly pinned to wanting the name of the modern country.
I'm with HBomb on this one. If you believe that Anneke actually had French Guiana in mind when she first responded, then either:
1) She for some reason gave the French name, in which case she still got it wrong, because "Guyane" is pronounced as two syllables (no schwa at the end), or
2) She somehow forgot that the former British Guiana has been called just "Guyana" since, um, before she was born.

And even if you grant these very favorable assumptions, I still think the ruling was wrong, because it gives away the correct response. If the expected response had been the country of Guyana, they never would have BMSed "What is Guyana?" no matter how it was pronounced.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3536
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Lefty wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:18 pm
...the whole loosening movement of the 1920's--men wore "Oxford bags", women discarded their corsets, and both sexes experimented with not occupying the center with pawns....
...Are you still talking about chess??... ;) :lol:

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:59 pm
But Guyana has been independent since 1966, so if you're given a choice between Guyana and French Guiana and your response is "Guyana" (under any phonetically plausible pronunciation), you've simply picked the wrong one.
You're ignoring the pronunciation issue because it doesn't fit your argument. Her response wasn't "Guyana"; it was "Guiana." She gave the correct pronunciation of the territory's name, but without the "French" modifier that we typically use in English to distinguish the French province from the sovereign nation. That made it ambiguous as to which of the two places she intended to give as her response. (And as has been noted elsewhere, the French version of "Guiana," Guyane, is the actual proper name of the territory.) Ambiguous situations like this are precisely what the BMS prompt is for.
Sprinkles are for winners.

A Wray
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 am
Her response wasn't "Guyana"; it was "Guiana."
Okay, let's be generous and say you're right, she really meant to refer to "Guiana," the region encompassing Suriname, Guyana, French Guiana, and parts of Venezuela and Brazil. In that case she still should have been negged. If the clue is "Brussels is the capital of this nation," and you respond, "What is Benelux?" surely you don't get a BMS.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 am
(And as has been noted elsewhere, the French version of "Guiana," Guyane, is the actual proper name of the territory.)
Irrelevant, because the game is played in English. I've checked three different English dictionaries, and none support the idea that "Guiana" can refer to French Guiana alone.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6364
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:07 am

A Wray wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 am
I've checked three different English dictionaries, and none support the idea that "Guiana" can refer to French Guiana alone.
Hence the need for her to be more specific.

User avatar
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Mathew5000 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 pm
Like, if they ask what country Kinshasa is the capital of and you answer "Congo," that's just wrong and you shouldn't get what amounts to a mulligan.
Actually, "Congo" is the official short-form name for both the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. So if they are going for either of those countries, the response "What is Congo" should of course get a BMS.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:23 am

If we want to get picky about it, the clue read: "Many of the European space agency's launches happen at its spaceport in this South American territory", and since Guyane (French Guiana) is the only territory in South America, it should have been adequate by itself, especially given the show's rules on pronunciation.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7827
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am

Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mahatma » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
It's the holes.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:16 pm

mahatma wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
It's the holes.
Should he plug them all up and see if that works? :lol:

Note to TPH: Please do not attempt.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
Because you don't do anything to make them stick. You'd rather complain than put forth effort.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7827
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
Because you don't do anything to make them stick. You'd rather complain than put forth effort.
I haven't found a way to make anything stick. Mnemonic devices don't work because I always overthink and second-guess them. ("Was that My Very Educated? Educational? Echlocating? Maybe it wasn't even an E word at all.") "Sounds like" doesn't work because that is literally the most subjective way to remember. Rote repetition doesn't work because it just slides back out of my head two seconds after I say it for the 400th time. Sporcle quizzes don't work because I've taken the same damn one three times in a day and scored way worse each successive time.

There are only seven Central American countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama. But ask me to name them at a time when I didn't just copy the list from Wikipedia, and my response is always "Uhhhhh....."

WHAT will make anything, ANYTHING, stick in my teflon brain?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:04 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Guyana, French Guyana, Suriname.

Why do those, along with every single South American country, completely fall out of my head whenever I need them?
Because you don't do anything to make them stick. You'd rather complain than put forth effort.
I haven't found a way to make anything stick. Mnemonic devices don't work because I always overthink and second-guess them. ("Was that My Very Educated? Educational? Echlocating? Maybe it wasn't even an E word at all.") "Sounds like" doesn't work because that is literally the most subjective way to remember. Rote repetition doesn't work because it just slides back out of my head two seconds after I say it for the 400th time. Sporcle quizzes don't work because I've taken the same damn one three times in a day and scored way worse each successive time.

There are only seven Central American countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama. But ask me to name them at a time when I didn't just copy the list from Wikipedia, and my response is always "Uhhhhh....."

WHAT will make anything, ANYTHING, stick in my teflon brain?
If you do worse each time you take a Sporcle quiz, maybe don't take Sporcle quizzes. Perhaps they are draining the info from your brain to feed other quizzes.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 pm

OK, take this to the appropriate thread or I'll move them all.

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:55 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm

WHAT will make anything, ANYTHING, stick in my teflon brain?
How about setting answers to the tunes of hymns?

( to the tune of A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)
Guyana, Paraguay, Bolivia
Peru and Chile Uruguay
Brazil Colombia Su-u-rinam
Ecuador Argent-i-i-i-na
Vene-he-zue-el-a
And French Guiana too
They'll find a place for you
If you have got a soo
In Him there is no e-e-e-qual

( to the tune of the church's One Foundation)
New England's one large city
Is Boston on the bay
The capital of New York
Is Albany I say

The capital of the Garden
Is Trenton on the Del.
The capital of Mich'gan
Is Lansing town, not Hell
Last edited by floridagator on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2435
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:58 pm

floridagator wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm

WHAT will make anything, ANYTHING, stick in my teflon brain?
How about setting answers to the tunes of hymns?

( to the tune of A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)
Guyana, Paraguay, Bolivia
Peru and Chile Uruguay
Brazil Colombia Su-u-rinam
Ecuador Argent-i-i-i-na
Vene-he-zue-el-a
And French Guiana too
They'll find a place for you
If you have got a soo
In Him there is no e-e-e-qual
he will probably reply with "NHOI"

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:02 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:58 pm

he will probably reply with "NHOI"
TPH is a church organist, so I highly doubt that.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Post Reply